Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2704 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Question
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »

I have a series I shot last night at a local rodeo. It consists of 12 images and I wonder if you guys/gals would be offended if I took up that much space?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:31 pm »

Why not let it cool for a while, Chris, and make sure it's what you really want to post?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

There are several reasons why you might want to post a dozen shots:

- they are all really, really good
- you think they are all really, really good
- they are all necessary to tell the whole story
- you can't make up your mind which ones are actually good, and need help to cull them
- they are all your "children" and you can't cull them

So, which one is it? ;)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:31:16 pm »

That's okay, I'm not threatened by rodeos..  :(  Though, a small web gallery link posted would be cleaner than clumping them together in a thread.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »

That's okay, I'm not threatened by rodeos..  :(  Though, a small web gallery link posted would be cleaner than clumping them together in a thread.

Have no idea how to do that...I'm really quite computer illiterate in some areas..it's like those little thumbnails you have that open into big ones...no matter what I do in flickr, I cannot get those to post.

As to posting now or later...another rodeo is coming next weekend and I need some good advice now. I know they are a bit on the grainy side as they were shot between 1600 and 2000 ISO due to the fairgrounds crappy lighting. the plus side is I had a 24-70 2.8 lens but the minus side is I probably needed the 70-200 2.8 that I dont have.

They are all necessary to tell the whole story. I am not partial to any of them in particular though I think I managed a few pretty good shots. I'm simply trying to get better in an area I've not ventured into much, I guess since high school shooting football games on Speed Graphics...now that was a real treat.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

nemo295

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »

I have a series I shot last night at a local rodeo. It consists of 12 images and I wonder if you guys/gals would be offended if I took up that much space?

I'm surprised anyone would even ask. This is a web forum. All the "space" here is virtual and there's an unlimited supply of it. And it's not like any of us have to look at anything if we don't want to.

Furthermore, none of the regulars here are in a position of authority, although a few of them like to pretend that they are. It's not their place to tell you what you should or should not post.

So I say post to your heart's content and let the chips fall where they may.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:23:19 pm by Doug Frost »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »

... Furthermore, none of the regulars here are in a position of authority, although a few of them like to pretend that they are...

Really!? Why nobody told me that before? And I was thinking all this time...

In all seriousness, while anybody can post anything (at least until the moderator intervenes), there is such a thing as netiquette, and Chris is just acting like a gentleman-netizen.

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41:31 pm »

there is such a thing as netiquette, and Chris is just acting like a gentleman-netizen.

I totally agree.

Actually, I am not aware:  IS there a photo limit for a single post on LuLa?

Cheers,

W

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »

Apparently 4 (though never tested it). However, if you link to another site (say Flickr), I do not think there is such a limit. Just good taste. Me thinks.

nemo295

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:55:57 pm »

Really!? Why nobody told me that before? And I was thinking all this time...

In all seriousness, while anybody can post anything (at least until the moderator intervenes), there is such a thing as netiquette, and Chris is just acting like a gentleman-netizen.

That would imply that posting, one, 12 or a hundred photographs would in some way be an imposition on anyone. On the web that consideration becomes irrelevant. It's not making less space available for something else. It's on its own thread. If you don't want to look at it, don't click on it.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »

On the web that consideration becomes irrelevant...
But maybe not on Lula's servers, and assuming people pushed the limit? Genuine question, I don't know.
Ken Cameron

nemo295

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:17 pm »

But maybe not on Lula's servers, and assuming people pushed the limit? Genuine question, I don't know.

What you're talking about is an administrative consideration based on server capability and bandwidth, but not an inherent limitation of the web.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 05:31:08 pm »

... If you don't want to look at it, don't click on it.

And how would I know if I want to look at it if I do not click on it?

Once I clicked, it is an imposition if I had to wade through, say, hundreds of crappy images (or even hundreds of fantastic images). It takes my time, to say the least. I would be tempted to go to the bottom of the post just to get an idea what the point was, or if the poster has a question (after all, this is a discussion forum, not a gallery). If I find I did it in vain, I most likely would refrain from clicking on the same poster's future posts, especially if there is a pattern.

Now put yourself in the shoes of the poster we are talking about (not Chris, just a rhetorical one): if he is smart enough he will realize that posting that many (or simply crappy) images will result in other forum members shunning his future posts.

It all simply boils down to a good taste, common-sense, and politeness.

On a practical side, if the poster is looking for comments, especially for comments on individual images, it makes it rather impractical to post more than a few in the same thread.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:46:59 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

nemo295

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

And how would I know if I want to look at it if I do not click on it?

Once I clicked, it is an imposition if I had to wade through, say, hundreds of crappy images (or even hundreds of fantastic images). It takes my time, to say the least.

And why would you have to?

stamper

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 04:28:15 am »

Unquote

He did ask the question and was - imo - given reasonable answers as to how many is reasonable. Personally I think that 4 would be a good number but that is flexible. It isn't a photography gallery but a critique.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up