Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting canvas on a 7900  (Read 2189 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Cutting canvas on a 7900
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

My recollection from an earlier thread is that this is OK. But, with the paper settings at roll and auto-cut, it did not cut.

If I need to cut manually, can I print a line across the paper to guide the cut?

Thanks,

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Cutting canvas on a 7900
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:03:40 pm »

Check within the driver and printer settings that "normal cut" is selected....

Aside from manually cutting, you can also cut manually with the printer on the printer control panel....

ken

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

I cut manually canvas all the time so as to help keep the cutter from dulling prematurely.Replacement $150
Canvas will dull the blade faster according to Epson,even with the new blade system of the 900 series.
After printing  I feed the canvas down to the botton edge of the platten as a guide (which is slightly raised above the lower section) and  use a Zippy cutter to cut the canvas. I then wipe the edge of the canvas with a rag to remove any canvas dust that might have been produced by the cutting.
The one thing that annoys me about doing it this way, is having to release the canvas and manually remove and refeed it because the machine will not rewind the canvas to the corrcect printing position with the no cutting option enabled.If you don't do this it will waste about 6 to 8" of canvas at the start of the new print.

David

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »

I agree, check your roll-paper settings to make sure the cutter is set.

Sometimes when I switch over from sheet to roll, the autocut is disabled and I simply run the cutter from the control panel.

Regarding durability of the rotary cutter and canvas, I printed perhaps a thousand canvas prints in the past couple of years with my second-hand 9900 (the auto cutter for canvas was the main reason for purchase). I can tell you from experience that it's still doing a great job cutting both paper and canvas. In addition to the canvas, I've probably printed several hundred prints. So far, no issues with a dull cutter. Unless you are running the printer night and day for weeks on end printing canvas don't worry about dulling the cutter!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »

Regarding durability of the rotary cutter and canvas, I printed perhaps a thousand canvas prints in the past couple of years with my second-hand 9900 (the auto cutter for canvas was the main reason for purchase). I can tell you from experience that it's still doing a great job cutting both paper and canvas. In addition to the canvas, I've probably printed several hundred prints. So far, no issues with a dull cutter. Unless you are running the printer night and day for weeks on end printing canvas don't worry about dulling the cutter!

That is great to know,Thanks.

I don't know where I read it but somewhere Epson had recommended not using the auto cutter.
I think it was on the info sheet that came with the roll of the older Matte Canvas.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:45:58 pm »

Keep in mind that the auto cutter will cause a significant of canvas debris/dust within your printer.  Many people who use the auto cutter have issues with tiny white spots in their prints, where ink was sprayed onto dust that fell off.  You can certainly try it, just you'll know the source of the issue if this comes up.

The one thing that annoys me about doing it this way, is having to release the canvas and manually remove and refeed it because the machine will not rewind the canvas to the corrcect printing position with the no cutting option enabled.If you don't do this it will waste about 6 to 8" of canvas at the start of the new print.

I manually cut canvas, and routinely print canvas using my 9900 with minimum margin settings without an issue like you describe.  I'm able to hold the down arrow to feed the canvas down, manually cut it, then hold the up arrow to bring it back to its starting position.  It typically stops backward feeding like it's done, but if I let go of the up arrow and press it again, it continues moving - but of course stopping at the starting position.  I think it periodically stops like this to tension up the roll.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

I agree with Larry,part of the reason I purchased these printers.
In the past 3 years I have cut 2000+ canvas prints on my now sold 7900 and present 9900.
Still cuts like a hot knife through butter.
A tack cloth wipe across the bed once a week takes care of all the fine particles.
It was put there for a purpose and it works like majic.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:53:48 pm by Dan Berg »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:52:20 am »

Ditto to what Dan says.

One of the things about the cutter in the x900 printers is that the cutter is rotary, not a blade like my other Epson printers and the cutter is quite a bit below the print head, thus less chance for lint. I can't think of any issues in the past couple of years that I've had any issues with dust or lint spots on a print. I think the cutter being so far below the print head is the reason why.

I considered adding the external cutter to my 9800, but it would still have been a PIA to handle canvas. The auto rotary cutter on the 9900 was well worth the upgrade to more easily produce canvas!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:18:50 am »

The rotary cutter on the 9900 is great for canvas and fine art papers; much easier than the external cutter on the old 9800!  If you're concerned about media dust from the cutter, wipe and vacuum regularly.  I use a small powerful handheld Dirt Devil Scorpion to vacuum the top of the printer deck and paper roll edges.  You'd be surprised how much media dust is on the top deck---and you know where it's headed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up