Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stair/Bridge-scape  (Read 2725 times)

John E

Stair/Bridge-scape
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:51:43 pm »

Haven't posted anything for a while, so what-tha-hey. Took this four years ago of some stairs at the north end of the Newport Oregon bridge.

So, does this do anything for anybody; or is it over-processed, perhaps; or maybe just a bit boring? (Yeah, I know I'm over thinking it, but I'm laid up for a while and bored outta my mind.) Tried doing it in the Gorman-Holbert BW conversion process, but I lost detail in the sky, so I reprocessed using SEP2.

John

davidh202

Re: Stair/Bridge-scape
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:25:56 pm »

Interesting architecture but...
too dark, lighting too flat not much contrast,the cut off sign at the top right throws the balance completely off, and the initials at the bottom are distracting.JMHO
I could post my version with your permission ?

David

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:43 am »

John I think that this imager has real potential.
Trouble is that the conversion, in  this case, results in really flat tones.
Sorry to hear that you are laid up but perhaps you might have an opportunity to experiment with your B&W conversions and turn this image into an absolute winner!

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:05:14 am »

I like it but at the very least, contrast should be increased. Everything is too flat and dark. I'm not bothered by the cropped sign post on the right and I like the tight composition.
Francois

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:41:15 am »

Interesting shot. If it were on my postprocessing screen I would want to adjust the crop and enhance the local contrast in the dark bits. But that might be (often is) a mistake, particularly if "unsettling" is what you are trying for.
Ken Cameron

John E

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:58 am »

Thanks, all, for the input. I actually tried with increased contrast, but I couldn't get any better results. If anyone else wants to try, jeez, have at it!

John

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:06:26 pm »

This was my take on it.I didn't want to brighten it up too much just enhance the contrast...
adjustments in ACR ....added some fill light (opened up the shadows), increased overall brightness a little and increased the black point for more contrast, and a slight toning toward a blue hue.
crop, sign and graffiti removal with cloning in CS5. I actually should have left more sky ;)

David

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:23:40 pm by davidh202 »

John E

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 10:59:43 am »

Interesting take, David, and I do understand the desire to lighten it up and increase the contrast. I prefer a darker version, but could definitely work on the overall contrast.

I also find it interesting that so many who have responded don't like the sign at the top. Although I cannot for the life of me recall exactly why I thought it a good idea, I actually included the partially dissected sign intentionally. As for the grafitti at the bottom, that was part of what attracted me to this stairwell as a subject, the grittiness and urban decay look, even though it's located in the small coastal Oregon town of Newport. Thanks all for taking the time to comment, and thanks David for your version.

John

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:27:09 am »

Thanks John,
 I underestand your desire to leave the graffiti, but since it is partially cut off it is more distracting than an interesting element, (in my mind anyway). Same with the sign at top .You could just leave the rectangular sign at top, cutting off post at bottom of the diamond which I think might balance a little better, but then again evryone has an opinion and in the end it's your vision that matters. ;)

BTW I am now viewing this on a different monitor that is not calibrated well and your original is brighter than on my calibrated Eizo, so that could be a partial difference as to why some are seeing the original as too dark

Feel Better,
 David
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:31:20 am by davidh202 »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:18 am »

I too was not overly excited by the signage but didn't feel like it should be removed, so I just cropped it a bit tighter. I also was not overly enamored with the blue-ishness so went back to B&W and stayed pretty much with what I saw as the original intent of showing the grunge, decay and loss of dignity to a once fine structure.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

John E

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 01:12:05 pm »

I like this version, Chris. Funny, I never even thought of clipping off the sign on the left, but it kinda works. Re: the blue, I can't recall but I may have applied a minimal amount of selenium toning in SEP2. I'm so damned lazy, I don't even keep track of those things.

John

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »

I like Chris's version also .

David

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »

The reasoning for clipping the sign on the left side comes from a pretty strong art background which likes to ground subjects. I felt if I was going to clip the top sign as much as I did, leaving the other with that much side room and nowhere for it to feel grounded to the rest of the scene was pretty much pointless. Thus...chop!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up