Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5 Crop to a specific size and dpi without resampling...  (Read 3173 times)

Onslow

CS5 Crop to a specific size and dpi without resampling...
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:57:07 pm »

Morning All,

I use CS5 with all the latest updates applied. I have a large stitched image image which is 40.4 inches by 23.7 inches at 360dpi.

I am attempting to crop to a size of 22 x 15.5 inches at 360dpi for my new Epson 3880. When I do this though, the image is resampled so I can grab a postage stamp size of the image and it is resized to what I specify.

This is not the behaviour I want. What I am after is with say a crop tool preset, drag it onto the image and the selected size on the original image is already there as a selection. All I have to do is drag the selection around to match the framing I want and then apply the crop. The result would then be a crop only, not a cropped and resampled image. Am I being clear here?

I have the image capture and creative sharpened already. I wish merely to crop to a size without the resampling that would normally occur.

Is this possible? I have used the info window to guide me so I can size the selection area but this is a klutzy method at best I find.
Cheers

Onslow

Robert55

Re: CS5 Crop to a specific size and dpi without resampling...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:43 am »

In the crop tool leave the box for resolution blank

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:40:21 am »

In the crop tool leave the box for resolution blank

Thanks for that. I tried it and it then as you make the marquee selection larger or smaller, the crop dpi will change.

I was eventually pointed to using the rectangular marquee. In the options use the ifxed size option and enter the size required. I did this and entered 22 in x 15.5 in. I then dragged onto the image and I ended up with a rectangular marquee on my image sized at 22 x 15.5 in. From there, its an easy Image/crop. The dpi is unchanged.

Thanks again.........
Cheers

Onslow

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:15 pm »

You are confusing terms, badly.  DPI is calculated.  When you use it in conjunction with the crop or marque tool it's just there for information and converting your selection to the corresponding pixel amounts, nothing is re sampled at all.  You want a 22x15.5" @ 360 image so that's 7920x5580 pixels no matter what tool you use to get it there.

Onslow

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

You are confusing terms, badly.  DPI is calculated.  When you use it in conjunction with the crop or marque tool it's just there for information and converting your selection to the corresponding pixel amounts, nothing is re sampled at all.  You want a 22x15.5" @ 360 image so that's 7920x5580 pixels no matter what tool you use to get it there.

G'day and thanks for replying.

I think you are correct. I am confusing terms. I have gone through my settings and I see that what I was referring to as dpi is in fact Pixels per inch.

When all of my images are imported into ACR, I have my workflow options set to AdobeRGB, 16 bits per channel and a Resolution of 360 pixels per inch.

When I bring one into CS that setting is the same. my images PPI (Not dpi I now see) is set to 360 PPI.

My difficulty was in accurately explaining what I was after and secondly finding out how to make a marquee selection sized to what I wanted....
Cheers

Onslow

kirkt

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:40:16 am »

You can also create a new, blank document with the physical dimensions and resolution you want and then copy the original image into the new document and move it into place to achieve the cropping you desire.  The original stays intact and the cropped version can be saved separately for printing, etc.

kirk

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »

In the image resize box, change the dpi to 360 (make sure the resample box is unchecked), ignore the dimension boxes.  That will set your DPI to 360 with no resampling of the image (the 360 is just a number in metadata).  Then in the square marquee tool, set the image size you want in inches in the appropriate boxes.  When you click in the image, it will automatically create a crop box you can drag to where you want.  When you click on crop in the image menu, that will give you an image the size you want at 360 dpi.  That's the method I use, I am sure there are others which may be even simpler.

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:25:14 pm »

In the image resize box, change the dpi to 360 ...
It is ppi, not dpi.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up