Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not importing all images  (Read 8176 times)

BillThompson17

Not importing all images
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

I have Aperture 3.4.2 on a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.2, with the Aperture library and referenced files residing on a Seagate 1.5TB portable drive.

My problem is that not all images import from a folder. I download my camera into folders titled with the date. As an example: A folder dated 11-8-12 has 53 images sequentially titled as they come from the camera, but only 33 of them import. A sequence of 20 from the middle of the set fail to import. This has happened more than once. When I try the import again, Aperture does not "see" these other 20 images.

Can anyone tell me what is going on, and how to correct it? I have repaired permissions and the database. I have not yet rebuilt the database. Might that do the trick? Thanks.
Bill

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Not importing all images
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »

Try this: in the Import panel, uncheck "Do not import duplicates" and see if all are imported.

Also, if I understand correctly, you're downloading images from the camera into folders, and then importing from the folders into Aperture? Why not just import directly from the camera into Aperture?
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

BillThompson17

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:53:51 pm »

Thanks, Rob. I'll uncheck that and give it a try, but since the files all have unique names, I doubt this is the problem.

Good question about downloading directly from the camera. Old habit. I thought it better to use referenced images so I could store them separately for backup.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:02:14 pm »

I don't know what Aperture is checking for duplicates, but it's an easy way to eliminate one potential source.

I've always used Aperture's Vault as separate backup, but it's no problem to used referenced files AFAIK. Just curiosity.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

jom

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:38:09 am »

I am having a similar issue in completely different circumstances.

Aperture sometimes imports fully, but often imports every 2nd photo, then skips two, gets them all for a while... randomly!

I tether my Nikon D4 via ethernet to a Mac Pro (1,1) using the Nikon software
into a folder, to which I attach a "Folder Action" through the mac OS (10.6.8)
telling Aperture to import the contents of that folder to a project "AA Rename" in Aperture

The images are all there in the folder, Aperture just doesn't import all of them.

"Do not import duplicates"  is unchecked.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:14:46 am »

I am having a similar issue in completely different circumstances.

Start a new thread for similar but different problems, and link to ones that are relevant.

Aperture sometimes imports fully, but often imports every 2nd photo, then skips two, gets them all for a while... randomly!

I tether my Nikon D4 via ethernet to a Mac Pro (1,1) using the Nikon software
into a folder, to which I attach a "Folder Action" through the mac OS (10.6.8)
telling Aperture to import the contents of that folder to a project "AA Rename" in Aperture

The images are all there in the folder, Aperture just doesn't import all of them.

"Do not import duplicates"  is unchecked.

This happens to me when I record exposures too quickly.  IME, the Folder Action is unavailable while it is processing, and it does not queue actions.  The only work-arounds I know are to allow more time between recording exposures, or to simply gather up the un-imported files and manually import them.

Just to confirm, though -- when this happens to me, the only files left are those that were not imported.  Are you seeing the same?

The Nikon D4 is supported by the most recent versions of Aperture for direct tethered recording (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4176).  Why are you using the Folder Action work-around?

If "Repair Database" finished successfully, I don't think you'll see any additional improvements from "Rebuild Database".

jom

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »

Many thanks Kirby, great answer.

The reason I don't use USB is that Ethernet is so awesome... I can see a preview on the back of the camera , and output an HDMI signal to a big TV for the client to see, AND not have a distance limit.

I am waiting for a new iMac to be delivered, which should run the folder action faster, it might solve that one.

If not I will start a new thread

ccroft

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »

I used 'Aperture Hot Folder' for a few years, and then tried a folder action. I had this same behaviour and went back to Hot Folder. It has a 'wait' line in the script that stops this from happening. It also slows the import sometimes but I prefer that to the other.

I'm tethering a d800 thru eye-fi, sending small basic jpeg for preview on laptop.

I think Kirby's nailed the prob. I guess if you're good with applescript you could get the folder action to wait until one import was finished before it starts the next...
Pages: [1]   Go Up