Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color or Mono?  (Read 3897 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Color or Mono?
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:19:45 am »

I captured this one last winter and am having a hard time deciding between color or B&W... im leaning toward B&W but thought id ask for opinions. thanks in advance!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Color or Mono?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:27:16 am »

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the B&W.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:39:02 am »

It's a tight call...but for me the the essentially cloudless sky can be handled/processed better in mono and the foreground you have looks very nice in mono as well.

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:11:16 am »

I like the B&W better.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

mac_paolo

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:33:52 am »

Color if you ad a little saturation to the greens while tinting them towards the blue, just a touch.
B&W otherwise :)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 08:35:06 am »

I too like the B&W version better but wonder if you could go back into your channels and reowrk some of the greens and yellows to make them snap a bit more against the backdrop and in the log, against the darker parts. Just a thought.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

ognita

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:44 am »

I'd take the Black and White :)

alanb

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:58 am »

A Magnificent shot in B/W.  Congratulations!

Alan

Larry Heath

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »

I really like them both, I love B&W photos, but, this time I think as is, the color photo seems to me to have a very slightly better apparent separation between the top of the mountain and the sky than the B&W version. I kind of like the top half in color and the bottom half in monochrome. How about processing the files as a cyanotype?

Later Larry

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »

With AJ's Permission:

On this edit, I played a bit with the yellow and red sliders and did a selection on the bottom half of the image and gave it a bit of a punch.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

AlexanderB

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:29:15 pm »

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the B&W.

Mike.

I don't understand guys why choose the B&W?

Larry Heath

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »

Chrisc's version seems to give a good bit more presents to the stump and helps with the river ice leading the eye into the scene. Very good. This version wins.

Later Larry

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »

As a long time 4x5 zone system photographer, I grew up on B&W and love the almost tactile sense of a finely printed image that seems to want to draw you deep into the paper. Unfortunately, I have rarely seen that from digital B&W. While I know good digital B&W is possible and completely understand the artistic value of B&W, most of the digital B&W I've seen just looks like a color photograph with the color removed. This photograph looks pretty good in B&W but I would work with the color version a good deal more first.

I used to hate printing color in my darkroom but I really enjoy printing digital color. On the other hand I much prefer printing B&W in the darkroom. It's just fun. Maybe it's the smell of acetic acid and the faint orange glow. 

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 05:32:48 pm »

I like both, but incline towards the color. My only (and small) problem with the B&W is that it wasn't immediately clear to me what the thing at the front is. I wondered for a microsecond if it was a crocodile (far from home). The edited version improves this.
Ken Cameron

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

Thanks for all the input. When i processed this image for B&W I was focused on bringing out the texture of the stump, snow and ice in the foreground. To me it appeared a bit muddy and was in need of some attention. Maybe its personal preference but the thing I like most about the B&W version is the textures that are amplified compared to the color version. otherwise the image seems to be lacking contrast.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

stamper

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:58 am »

Why make a decision as to what is "best"? Enjoy both of them. One doesn't have to be better than the other.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up