Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Shifting in PS when touching other displays.  (Read 1873 times)

AndrewMcCormick

Color Shifting in PS when touching other displays.
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:32:41 pm »

I have three displays on two video cards.  My editing display is in the middle.  It's an Eizo and I use Color Navigator for the calibration.  
The issue I'm seeing is that if I have an image open in PS and move it to where the window moves to another display (even if slightly) the image gains some blacks.  It is likewise when in full screen mode (not maximized window, but full screen with menu bar view).   However if I have the image in PS in a window view (still within the PS window boundary) it looses some blacks.  To prove to myself I wasn't imagining this, I captured it with screen shots (see attached).  It's always done this when moving to another screen, however I've never noticed the shift when windowed or maximized when on the same screen.
It doesn't matter which other screen I move to even though on separate video cards.
Is this typical? Which is going to be the correct view, windowed or full screen?

** as an update, I moved my two secondary monitors to one video card and left the Eizo by itself, just to see if it mattered, but am getting the same result.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:52:58 pm by AndrewMcCormick »

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Color Shifting in PS when touching other displays.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »

Scary!  ... and not typical

How did you capture those screen shots?  Did you hit print screen on the keyboard, and paste it onto Photoshop?  Did you paste into the same document, or are you absolutely sure the three documents were in the same working space / bit depth?  Or, did you use a camera to take a picture of the screen?

What version of Photoshop?

Can you use another image editor like Lightroom or gimp, to see if you can see similar strange behavior?

Do you have a colorimeter or photospectrometer?  (Any monitor compatible X-Rite products)  That's how I'd investigate your "Which is going to be the correct view" question.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

AndrewMcCormick

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »

Scary!  ... and not typical

How did you capture those screen shots?  Did you hit print screen on the keyboard, and paste it onto Photoshop?  Did you paste into the same document, or are you absolutely sure the three documents were in the same working space / bit depth?  Or, did you use a camera to take a picture of the screen?
It's the same document.  I used the snipping tool in Windows. so basically a print screen.  I moved the document part-way on to the other screen and snipped it and saved that.  Then did the same for the other two views.  So it's the same document just in different positions.  Then I just placed all the files side by side in a new PS doc to prove to myself I was going bat crazy.

What version of Photoshop?
CS 5.5
Can you use another image editor like Lightroom or gimp, to see if you can see similar strange behavior?
No I don't see the same behavior in LR

Do you have a colorimeter or photospectrometer?  (Any monitor compatible X-Rite products)  That's how I'd investigate your "Which is going to be the correct view" question.
I use the i1 display with the Color Navigator software. Same setup I've used for years.

I've been retouching for years. I'm not a stranger to color managed workflow and haven't noticed this before. 95% of the time I'm working in full screen mode.  So I don't know exactly when this started, but I just noticed it last week.  Tried to convince myself it wasn't happening, but it is.

AndrewMcCormick

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »

Just an update... I installed CS6 today and do not have the issue any more.  I'll just chalk it up to weird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up