Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I have Questions about expired epson ink.  (Read 11493 times)

cagen

I have Questions about expired epson ink.
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:23 am »

Hi all

I'm Epson 9900 users.

I have Questions about expired epson ink.

I have a expired genuine new epson Ink.

It did not open packaging.

But expiration date has been exceeded 2years.

Does the problem occur when use this ink?

I'd like to hear your feed back.

Thank you for reading my message.

Sorry for my immaturity english.

Best Regards

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Re: I have Questions about expired epson ink.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:08 pm »

2-Years? 

I would not use it.  I'd trash it and buy new current ink.  Reason? Simple, while it "might not" effect the printer it will in all likelihood effect the print and I'd rather not take the chance.,

Just my thoughts.

Don

Your English is better than others!

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »

I always gently agitate ink cartridges prior to installation, and even if left installed in the printer for extended periods of time.  The thought is that gentle agitation keeps the pigments evenly distributed.  I would have no problem using inks with an expiration date in the same year---in other words, within a few months of usage.  But two years?  I'd probably pass on that and consider the cartridge a loss.  For me, I'd be weighing the cost-benefit of trying not to lose a few bucks versus, "hmmm, in light of all these forum threads on clogs and preventative maintenance maybe I shouldn't push my luck..."   :)

I've got one of the workhorse 9900 printers with zero issues to date (knock on wood and yes, I will regardless be extending my warranty), but I'm in no mood for gambling---so avoiding expired inks is part of my preventative maintenance plan.  YMMV.

:) ken

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »

Once again Ken is right (but please don't tell him I said so  ;D).  You can gently agitate the cartridges to stir them up however there's a time issue.  A couple months and I'd use them anything over that and I'd toss them.

It's not worth the aggravation and additional expense trying to save a few bucks.

Don

My 9900 is turning into the workhorse that my 9800 was however like Ken I'll shortly be getting the extended warranty.

JeanMichel

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »

chez

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »

I'd be interested if anyone has had a bad experience using expired ink. I use expired ink in my HP printers without any noticeable affects.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »

Don't mean this as flippant however, I personally can't answer this question as I've never used expired inks in any of my printers. 

I make money selling prints I've printed and the more prints I make the more money I make.  If I have to reprint because of a printing error I loose money, if I have to reorder ink because of expiration dates I loose money.  I keep a supply of media on hand and other supplies however I never stock/store ink.  With ink I use the "just in time" method of ordering.

As always just my 2¢

Don

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

I've had minor clogging using expired inks in an old Epson 4800.  I don't know if you'd call it a really bad experience, but it was one of those, "hmmm, that sucks" moments.  Plenty of ink but nozzle check would not clear nor would cleaning.  It was probably nearing the bottom 10% of the cartridge.  Changed the cartridge, nozzle check, all was fine.  My instincts tell me (and could be wrong too) that with print quality in mind, use fresh ink stock.  Certainly with consistency in mind, I just don't want to have more unknowns or variables in the mix. 

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:39:51 pm »

I have an old Epson 2200 that I still use for office and non critical use.   I bought a big box of ink many years ago at at a camera show that I am still using to this day.  I am using up the ink until it runs out or the printer dies as somewhat of an experiment.   The expiration dates on the ink are in 2006 and 2007.  It has sat unused for a month at times.   I  have not had any clogging issues.   I suspect these inks are serviceable for a very long time.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »

Hi,
You might find this interview of Mr Kaufmann by Jeff Schewe interesting:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Video-Library/video/Professional-Imaging_Markets_Photography/The-Epson-Stylus-Pro-900-Series-Larry-Kaufman-Answer
Jean-Michel

Link isn't working for me - I'm getting "An error has occurred. Please click here to return to the home page."
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 03:39:07 am »

I have an old Epson 2200 that I still use for office and non critical use.   I bought a big box of ink many years ago at at a camera show that I am still using to this day.  I am using up the ink until it runs out or the printer dies as somewhat of an experiment.   The expiration dates on the ink are in 2006 and 2007.  It has sat unused for a month at times.   I  have not had any clogging issues.   I suspect these inks are serviceable for a very long time.
Yes, my experience too of a 2100. However letting an old 2100 printer get trashed by bad ink isn't much of a risk compared to terminally clogging a 9900.

I'd sell the old ink on eBay and buy new ink myself.

JeanMichel

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:14 am »

Link isn't working for me - I'm getting "An error has occurred. Please click here to return to the home page."

Hi,
Try searching inGoogle for Schewe, Epson, and the link should show up in one of the first results. Or go through the Epson portal.
Jean-Michel

Benny Profane

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »

This subject has been dealt with before in this forum, and, from what i remember,  cartridges over one year past expiration have been used with no problem. Two years may be pushing it, but, please, seriously, get back to us if you use this ink. I'm afraid I don't trust Epson, of all people, to tell me the truth, since their primary revenue stream from the printing unit is the sale of inks.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

I'd be interested if anyone has had a bad experience using expired ink. I use expired ink in my HP printers without any noticeable affects.

I have a lot of expired inks (and print heads) in use with my Z3100, have printed lots and lots of prints on lots of different media types and have had no problems.

In the future I'll plan to not buy more than ink than i'll need. I had no idea how ink efficient the HP printer is! Anywho, until or unless there is a real problem, there is no reason to toss cartridges due to some misguided fear.

OTOH, Epson inks might be different than HP inks. I kinda doubt it but don't have a direct answer...

chez

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:26 pm »

I have a lot of expired inks (and print heads) in use with my Z3100, have printed lots and lots of prints on lots of different media types and have had no problems.

In the future I'll plan to not buy more than ink than i'll need. I had no idea how ink efficient the HP printer is! Anywho, until or unless there is a real problem, there is no reason to toss cartridges due to some misguided fear.

OTOH, Epson inks might be different than HP inks. I kinda doubt it but don't have a direct answer...

Justan, that is y exact experience on my 2 z3100 printers. I have been using expired cartridges for the past 3 years without any effects. I would love to hear from others that experienced either excessive clogging or poor quality using expired inks. Is there anything official on any of the ink manufactures that state the consequences of using expired ink?

Peter F.

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 08:29:25 pm »

I own an Epson 7900. Admittedly, the printer may sit idle without use. However, this 7900 has been a nightmare with clogged heads. I have had Decision One out as many as five times to replace clogged heads which no amount of cleaning could fix. The machine seems to clog about 3-6 months after any warranty expires. I have read all the threads for dealing with maintenance and to no avail.

I would not risk old ink unless you are prepared to gamble $1,200-1,800 for your next service call!

I have to say I am ready to dump this printer and go with another brand (despite the beautiful output.) Why Epson does not address this with some better technology is a total mystery! They clearly know this is a huge problem with the 7900 and 9900's. This never happened on my 4800.

MBrew

• Brewsphoto.Com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »

Peter, I feel your pain.  My 7900 appears to have the curse as well.  Mine is in the yellow. Nozzle check shows two lines top and bottom.

chez

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 09:04:09 am »

I own an Epson 7900. Admittedly, the printer may sit idle without use. However, this 7900 has been a nightmare with clogged heads. I have had Decision One out as many as five times to replace clogged heads which no amount of cleaning could fix. The machine seems to clog about 3-6 months after any warranty expires. I have read all the threads for dealing with maintenance and to no avail.

I would not risk old ink unless you are prepared to gamble $1,200-1,800 for your next service call!

I have to say I am ready to dump this printer and go with another brand (despite the beautiful output.) Why Epson does not address this with some better technology is a total mystery! They clearly know this is a huge problem with the 7900 and 9900's. This never happened on my 4800.

Were you using expired inks when the clogging occurred?

Peter F.

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 04:57:42 am »

My printer is going on 4 yrs. old. A few of my inks were up to 2 years old. I thought I had read everything until I found Eric Gulbransen's post ("Epson 7900 From The Inside - Out.") The post makes great bedtime reading if your printer is not actually suffering from a clogged nozzle at which point it may just make you become an insomniac.

Faced with this potentially large boat anchor, I realize that I do not want to disassemble my entire printer, as did Eric, replace the head at substantial expense, etc. when a new one can be delivered for $2,400 with a one year warranty (which I would extend to 3 yrs automatically after knowing what I already do.) I also realize that I should be doing way more to maintain the stupid thing if I go down the repurchase path! At which point I ask myself if being able to swap a print head out for $40 like on the HP Z3200 would be a great solution. Does anyone have a Z3200 that they have the same problems with?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:02:54 am by Peter F. »

Benny Profane

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:52 am »

Were you using expired inks when the clogging occurred?

Precisely my thought.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up