Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Credo USB 3  (Read 24927 times)

FredBGG

Leaf Credo USB 3
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »

Leaf Credo USB 3.

Is it working yet?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Re: Leaf Credo USB 3
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

Are you thinking of buying one and actually shooting digital medium format?

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:32 pm »

Not buying... may need to rent

gazwas

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »

USB3 on the Credo/IQ backs is a very sore subject!

Beginning to think its just broken and will never be stitched on in this generation of backs...... sigh.  :-[
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:36 pm »

Fred - If you are indeed thinking about renting then you should speak to the rental house instead of asking here.

However we all know that it isn't working. Yet.  Will it? Yes.  When? Who knows but I feel that Phase has staked a portion of their reputation of this working and they're get it.  I for one would rather wait until it's fixed and working than attempt to use it with all sorts of problems.  But that's just me.

Don

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

Fred - If you are indeed thinking about renting then you should speak to the rental house instead of asking here.

Don

Why can't I ask here????

Anyway... I can't reach the fellow I will be renting from as he is on location. When I can I rent from colleagues rather than rental houses.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »

USB3 on the Credo/IQ backs is a very sore subject!

Beginning to think its just broken and will never be stitched on in this generation of backs...... sigh.  :-[

So it's not just an IQ problem?

MamiyaLeaf has USB 3 written all over their website, but no mention of it not working......

USB is pretty standard stuff..... strange they can't get it working.....

gerald.d

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »

The thing I don't fully understand about USB3 on the IQ/Credo is the physical connection itself.

Every USB3 device I have (CF card reader, external drives) has the "old" square connector on the PC end, but a newly designed connector on the device end. I believe that despite the connector being the same physical size on the PC end, it does actually have additional connections on the top.

Question -

What is the physical connection for USB3 inside the IQ/Credo? Is it the newly designed connector -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp_.jpg

Because if it's not, I don't see how it could ever be implemented.

/edit
I should add that I've never even tried connecting my IQ180 to my PC via USB. I don't however recall seeing a USB3 lead in the packaging - pretty sure there's a USB2 lead in there, which would make no sense whatsoever. If you can connect the old USB2 lead to the IQ, then you sure as heck will never be able to connect a USB3 lead to it (unless of course it has two separate physical USB ports - one for 2, and one for 3, but that would make absolutely no sense from a design perspective).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:46:15 pm by gerald.d »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »

Hello,

This would be a good time for Yair to chime in and tell everyone what is going on and how it connects.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »

I recall getting a USB cable with my IQ, but never used it (for obvious reasons).

Personally I'm pretty tired of the lack of communication on the issues from PhaseOne. It's been near on two years since the IQ's announcement, and we're still waiting on any real word on the USB3 issue, and it's about time they did something for the sake of their already invested customers. Not just "It's coming" because we've been hearing that since the start.

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »

From the Mamiya Leaf website

Capture speeds as fast as 1.2 frames per second
Fastest image transfer speed through the use of advanced FireWire 800, USB 3.0 and UDMA CompactFlash technologies.

Based on this one would assume it works ::)

Even the FAQ page makes no mention of USB not working yet, but there are some references to USB that would lead one to believe it works:

Q: What does “Credo” mean?
A: Credo in Latin means “to believe/trust”. With Mamiya and Leaf being the most trustable brands in the business, we think it suits the new product perfectly!

Q: Who makes the Leaf Credo back?
A: The Leaf Credo is produced by Leaf Imaging Ltd.

Q: What is unique about the new display?
A: The new 1.15MP display is extremely bright and is useable in all lighting conditions. The touchscreen extends beyond the LCD area, allowing for additional functionality and space for tools.

Q: What camera bodies can I use the Leaf Credo on?
A: The Leaf Credo is available with a choice of four mounts: Mamiya 645DF, Contax 645AF, Hasselblad V and Hasselblad H1/H2/H4x. For a full list of supported cameras check the specs.

Q: Does the Leaf Credo offer on-screen Live View?
A: YES! Live View works both when shooting tethered or untethered!

Q: What files format does the Leaf Credo produce?
A: The RAW file format is called IIQL (large) or IIQS (small) The IIQ stands for "intelligent image quality".

Q: Can I open the files in Photoshop/Lightroom?
A: We are working with Adobe to ensure that one of their future versions will support the Leaf Credo files.

Q: Does it offer better long exposure performance than my Aptus-II back?
A: YES. The maximum exposure time has been increased to two minutes (Credo 80) and one minute (Credo 60 and 40).
Q: What type of CF cards should I use?
A: The Leaf Credo supports most UDMA 6 cards from the main brands. We will have a full list of tested/supported models before the product ships.

Q: Can I use my existing Aptus accessories?
A: A Leaf Credo back comes with a new set of accessories (i.e. batteries, chargers and FW cables). Some accessories, for example, the charger can still be used once the insert plate is replaced.

Q: Can the Leaf Credo be used on a view or a tech camera outdoors?
A: YES!!! The added functionality of Live View and bi-directional spirit level, along with the very bright screen, enclosed battery and weather sealing make the Leaf Credo the perfect tool for shooting in the great outdoors.

Q: What do I need in order to use the Leaf Credo on my RZ PRO II?
A: We have several adapters for all RZ types including the PROII and they come with all the necessary accessories: sync cables, remote cables and focusing screens suitable for the type of back mount and sensor size.

Q: Can I use my existing Leaf adapter on my RZ PROII?
A: If you already have an adapter for your existing back, you may be able to use it, depending on your current back’s mount (for example if the adapter is for H mount it’ll take the new back). You will also need to change some of the cables.

Q: Can I use the Leaf Credo with a low-powered MacBook Pro, an iMac or a Windows based laptop?
A: YES! The Leaf Credo uses an internal battery, ensuring that the back has enough power to work tethered, regardless of the voltage of the FireWire or USB3.0 port in the computer.

Tip: The Leaf Credo also has a built-in battery charger so the battery gets charged through the FireWire/USB 3.0 cable.

Q: Can I connect the Leaf Credo to the Thunderbolt port on my Mac?
A: Currently there are no off-the-shelf, reliable hardware/software solutions for connecting FireWire or USB devices to Thunderbolt.

Q: Is there an AFi/Hy6 mount version of the Leaf Credo?
A: The Leaf Credo is made in four different mounts but not in AFi/Hy6 mount. The AFi-II 10 and AFi-II 12 backs are still in production and provide the perfect digital solution for this platform, including a tilt-screen and a rotating sensor.

Q: Does the V-mount Leaf Credo back include a rotating sensor like the Aptus-II R?
A: The Aptus-II 10R and Aptus-II 12R are still in production and maintain the unique rotating sensor capability.

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Schneider Electronic-Shutters and the Schneider software?
A: YES: You will need the cable that connects the Leaf Credo to the Schneider USB box. The cable is normally provided by Schneider.

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Schneider Electronic-Shutters and the shutter controller as I do with my Aptus-II back?
A: YES, however Capture One will not be able to control the shutter (like it does with the Aptus-II) so you will have to use the controller for this. If you’re looking to upgrade to a higher resolution back and shoot mostly in the studio then the Aptus-II 10/12 present a fantastic price/ performance value.

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Rollei Electronic Shutters and the shutter controller as I do with my Aptus-II back?
A: YES, however Capture One will not be able to control the shutter (like it does with the Aptus-II) so you will have to use the controller for this. If you’re looking to upgrade to a higher resolution back and shoot mostly in the studio then the Aptus-II 10/12 present a fantastic price/ performance value.

Q: Is the Credo supported by Leaf Capture?
A: The Leaf Credo is designed to work seamlessly with Capture One in order to maximize its outstanding image quality; therefore it is not supported by Leaf Capture.

Q: I just took delivery of a new Aptus-II 10 and I’m interested in the Leaf Credo 60. Can I get a special discount on this upgrade?
A: Please contact your Mamiya Leaf dealer so that we can look into a suitable solution for you.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:20:46 pm »

From the Mamiya Leaf website

Based on this one would assume it works ::)

Even the FAQ page makes no mention of USB not working yet, but there are some references to USB that would lead one to believe it works:

Q: What does “Credo” mean?
A: Credo in Latin means “to believe/trust”. With Mamiya and Leaf being the most trustable brands in the business, we think it suits the new product perfectly!

Q: Who makes the Leaf Credo back?
A: The Leaf Credo is produced by Leaf Imaging Ltd.

Q: What is unique about the new display?
A: The new 1.15MP display is extremely bright and is useable in all lighting conditions. The touchscreen extends beyond the LCD area, allowing for additional functionality and space for tools.

Q: What camera bodies can I use the Leaf Credo on?
A: The Leaf Credo is available with a choice of four mounts: Mamiya 645DF, Contax 645AF, Hasselblad V and Hasselblad H1/H2/H4x. For a full list of supported cameras check the specs.

Q: Does the Leaf Credo offer on-screen Live View?
A: YES! Live View works both when shooting tethered or untethered!

Q: What files format does the Leaf Credo produce?
A: The RAW file format is called IIQL (large) or IIQS (small) The IIQ stands for "intelligent image quality".

Q: Can I open the files in Photoshop/Lightroom?
A: We are working with Adobe to ensure that one of their future versions will support the Leaf Credo files.

Q: Does it offer better long exposure performance than my Aptus-II back?
A: YES. The maximum exposure time has been increased to two minutes (Credo 80) and one minute (Credo 60 and 40).
Q: What type of CF cards should I use?
A: The Leaf Credo supports most UDMA 6 cards from the main brands. We will have a full list of tested/supported models before the product ships.

Q: Can I use my existing Aptus accessories?
A: A Leaf Credo back comes with a new set of accessories (i.e. batteries, chargers and FW cables). Some accessories, for example, the charger can still be used once the insert plate is replaced.

Q: Can the Leaf Credo be used on a view or a tech camera outdoors?
A: YES!!! The added functionality of Live View and bi-directional spirit level, along with the very bright screen, enclosed battery and weather sealing make the Leaf Credo the perfect tool for shooting in the great outdoors.

Q: What do I need in order to use the Leaf Credo on my RZ PRO II?
A: We have several adapters for all RZ types including the PROII and they come with all the necessary accessories: sync cables, remote cables and focusing screens suitable for the type of back mount and sensor size.

Q: Can I use my existing Leaf adapter on my RZ PROII?
A: If you already have an adapter for your existing back, you may be able to use it, depending on your current back’s mount (for example if the adapter is for H mount it’ll take the new back). You will also need to change some of the cables.

Q: Can I use the Leaf Credo with a low-powered MacBook Pro, an iMac or a Windows based laptop?
A: YES! The Leaf Credo uses an internal battery, ensuring that the back has enough power to work tethered, regardless of the voltage of the FireWire or USB3.0 port in the computer.

Tip: The Leaf Credo also has a built-in battery charger so the battery gets charged through the FireWire/USB 3.0 cable.

Q: Can I connect the Leaf Credo to the Thunderbolt port on my Mac?
A: Currently there are no off-the-shelf, reliable hardware/software solutions for connecting FireWire or USB devices to Thunderbolt.

Q: Is there an AFi/Hy6 mount version of the Leaf Credo?
A: The Leaf Credo is made in four different mounts but not in AFi/Hy6 mount. The AFi-II 10 and AFi-II 12 backs are still in production and provide the perfect digital solution for this platform, including a tilt-screen and a rotating sensor.

Q: Does the V-mount Leaf Credo back include a rotating sensor like the Aptus-II R?
A: The Aptus-II 10R and Aptus-II 12R are still in production and maintain the unique rotating sensor capability.

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Schneider Electronic-Shutters and the Schneider software?
A: YES: You will need the cable that connects the Leaf Credo to the Schneider USB box. The cable is normally provided by Schneider.

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Schneider Electronic-Shutters and the shutter controller as I do with my Aptus-II back?

Q: In the studio, can I use the Leaf Credo with Rollei Electronic Shutters and the shutter controller as I do with my Aptus-II back?

Q: Is the Credo supported by Leaf Capture?
A: The Leaf Credo is designed to work seamlessly with Capture One in order to maximize its outstanding image quality; therefore it is not supported by Leaf Capture.

Q: I just took delivery of a new Aptus-II 10 and I’m interested in the Leaf Credo 60. Can I get a special discount on this upgrade?
A: Please contact your Mamiya Leaf dealer so that we can look into a suitable solution for you.

Fred -

No, USB is not currently active in either the Leaf Credo products, nor the Phase One IQ products. There's no need for you to wonder any longer, regardless of what the feature-drivem marketing materials from Leaf or Phase One's website may state. You may consider USB to be "pretty standard stuff", but obviously it's not as simple as you may feel, otherwise, they'd have it ready to go. If they can be at fault for anything, it would be for not portraying the USB port as a "future-proof" port. I believe they could be excused for putting the hardware in, as long as they cautioned the activation of that port would be some ways out (obviously they were more optimistic than reality dictated).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

FredBGG

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:47:45 pm »

You may consider USB to be "pretty standard stuff", but obviously it's not as simple as you may feel, otherwise, they'd have it ready to go.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

I may consider USB "pretty standard stuff".....

USB is pretty much as standard as you can get. Literally thousands and thousands of devices use USB. In particular in imaging devices ... scanners, cameras, flash systems, you name it. It's just a communication protocol. It's just a question of implementing the protocol unless there is some design fault that is making this difficult or not possible to implement. This also must be a problem on the backs because Capture One already works with USB cameras.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:59:16 pm by FredBGG »

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 12:19:48 am »

Okay Fred you've more than made your point.  Digital medium format is not good, the mechanics suck, image quality is subpar; in general nothing beats a Nikon unless it's a Fuji and you're using film. Mamiya, Leaf and of course the arch enemy Phase are all a bunch of hypocritical liars and should all be banished from the world.   

Have I missed anything?  Of course you'll be more that pleased to let me know if I've missed anything.

:P

Kitty

• http://
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 02:13:34 am »

Is it possible to use USB3.0 with MFB in future?
USB3.0 is faster than FW800 and quite common found one new computer.

I just realize that it doesn't support any MFB at the moment. Quite surprise.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 02:39:22 am »

Hello,

This would be a good time for Yair to chime in and tell everyone what is going on and how it connects.

Cheers

Simon

Credo and IQ users will be the first to know as soon as USB3.0 is enabled and released.

Read this

Yair

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

FredBGG

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 03:22:18 am »

Yanick from the topic it's not clear what are you looking for....also "options in the market in 2012+" is a bit broad...

Your opening post suggests that you'd specifically like to compare the H5D to the H5D, but then you mention USB3.0....

Technical specs and product images of all current and soon-to-be-available MF models exist on the manufacturers' websites. I think that's where you should start your research. It'll give you a good idea of things like cable positioning, connention types, frame rates, iso range etc.

You can put it all in One Excel sheet so that other members can make use of this information

BR

Yair

So Yaya..... you tell this guy to look at the manufacturers websites for information on cable positioning and connection types....
Yet you fail to mention to him that while your website says the Credo has USB the site does not mention that it does not work.
That doesn't exactly spank of honesty now does it.

FredBGG

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:01 am »

Okay Fred you've more than made your point.  Digital medium format is not good, the mechanics suck, image quality is subpar; in general nothing beats a Nikon unless it's a Fuji and you're using film. Mamiya, Leaf and of course the arch enemy Phase are all a bunch of hypocritical liars and should all be banished from the world.   

Have I missed anything?  Of course you'll be more that pleased to let me know if I've missed anything.

:P

Spoken like a spoiled 5 year old. ::) ::)

When have I ever said that the image quality was sub par. Also never said nothing beats a Fuji with film. In case you want to know my preferred format was Polaroid 8x10 (and
for a full disclosure ... yes I was blessed to be sponsored by Polaroid.

MrSmith

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 03:35:24 am »

Why not find out the truth? Now apple are dropping FireWire on some of their laptops anyone looking to tether without an adapter or using the thuderbolt port for a display or drive without a passthrough port would want to use the USB3 ports that are faster than FW800.

FredBGG

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:22 am »

Read this

Yair

Maybe you need to see this;)

http://youtu.be/O9xRhwmHBBE

or

http://youtu.be/YI6SG2aeQPM

or this..... just incase you want to BS the governator

http://youtu.be/S1QzZ15-L38

and an expert on the matter: