Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Minolta Dimage Scan Multi  (Read 11960 times)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
Minolta Dimage Scan Multi
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:09:50 pm »

Hey,

I've been looking for a medium format scanner for ages. And because of the newton rings i've been hating the flat bed scanners (havent tried the v750 tho, just older models).

I was offered to buy a Dimage Scan Multi today. Never tried or heard about it. Anyone have?

Do you know about solutions to make it work with a Windows 7 computer or do i need a old computer. Compared to the v750, whats your optinion?

What do you think its worth paying for it?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Minolta Dimage Scan Multi
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:21 pm »

I still have my Dimage Scan Multi - I can't seem to part with it. I found it to do a very good job, but not for monster size prints.  You might also want to look at the scanhancer.  Yahoo has a group dedicated to this scanner. 

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »

The Plustek Opticfilm 120 was expected to be for sale yesterday, but it shows pre-order status yet. (B&H) I think it is worth waiting. If it delivers, I may get one to digitize old slides and negatives. Besides I'm bored doing personal stuff with dslr's. I want to go back to medium format, but I can't afford the digital backs. Or better to say, I can't justify the cost.
Eduardo

FredBGG

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »

Do you know about solutions to make it work with a Windows 7 computer or do i need a old computer. Compared to the v750, whats your optinion?

It should work on Windows 7 with VueScan.

http://www.hamrick.com/

I would recommend a v750. You can wetscan with it for the best results. Dry scan using the neg holder frames is excellent to.
There are also some custom film holders to get your negatives flatter.

Here is an example of a 6x8cm dry scan.

Crop

Full frame

I used Silverfast software (that comes with the v750).
The math behind Silverfast is great, but I do not like the interface or the company.... and their censored forum.
Software lacks profiles for new emultions so you have to make your own. Some of the supplied profiles are real junk.
Negafix their negative scanning utility can get terrific results, but it is fiddly as hell and the curve editor is small.

I really don't understand why these idiots can't make the curve editors larger or simply scalable.
There really should be an option to have it overlaid on the image and full screen.

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »

The Plustek Opticfilm 120 was expected to be for sale yesterday, but it shows pre-order status yet. (B&H) I think it is worth waiting. If it delivers, I may get one to digitize old slides and negatives. Besides I'm bored doing personal stuff with dslr's. I want to go back to medium format, but I can't afford the digital backs. Or better to say, I can't justify the cost.
Eduardo

A digital back barely gets you into medium format.... film on the other hand goes much furthure. 6x7 for example will give you about twice the capture area of the biggest DB.
A scanner like the v750 will even handle 8x10 film.

35mm DRLS and film MF is a really nice combo especially if you shoot 6x7 or 6x8 film and have a top of the line 35mm DSLR.

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:49:16 pm »

I have the scanner and it's great, I paid £850 4 years ago, so don't pay much more. There is plenty of software for it made by 3rd party companies.

The v750 is not good enough, I bought it and sold it to get the minolta. It's perfect for large prints, the only thing that would better it is a Hasselblad scanner, or maybe the new plustek coming out.

Jason

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:51:10 pm »

A digital back barely gets you into medium format.... film on the other hand goes much furthure. 6x7 for example will give you about twice the capture area of the biggest DB.
A scanner like the v750 will even handle 8x10 film.

35mm DRLS and film MF is a really nice combo especially if you shoot 6x7 or 6x8 film and have a top of the line 35mm DSLR.

Fred,

That may be but how in hell do you travel the world with 5 cases of film and go to multiple countries.  I know I did this in the pre 9-11 film days and even then it was a nightmare, today I can't even imagine trying to carry film to 6 domestic cities, much less 6 or 7 countries.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:18 pm »

Hi,

I have that scanner. I'd say it is decent. I used it with Pentax 67 and Velvia 50, mostly. Density range is to small for Velvia. I made a few 70x100 cm prints from 6x7 slides scanned on that scanner.

On the other hand I find that my Sony Alpha 900 delivers superior results with much, much, much less effort.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/59-sony-alpha-900-vs-67-analogue-round-2

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/16-pentax67velvia-vs-sony-alpha-900

The images here are mostly scanned from Velvia: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Sextener-Dolomiten/

Best regards
Erik

Best regards
Erik

Hey,

I've been looking for a medium format scanner for ages. And because of the newton rings i've been hating the flat bed scanners (havent tried the v750 tho, just older models).

I was offered to buy a Dimage Scan Multi today. Never tried or heard about it. Anyone have?

What do you think its worth paying for it?
Erik Kaffehr

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:07 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been offered one for 200 usd, i guess thats a quite fair price. I can get the V750 for around 700 usd tho, but its alot more. Would the Dimage work with thunderbolt -> firewire and windows 7 with vuescan then?

Fred: Do you have any examples with 645 neg?

In all honesty i wont be pixel peeping, cause when shooting with film it's the look that i'm after. Not the sharpness. But i want to be able to shoot with it as an extra camera for weddings. So i'd need to be able to prind at least 30x45 prints. So you think that the scanner would be enough? Or am i better off saving up for a v700 or v750?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

... I've been offered one for 200 usd, i guess thats a quite fair price....

Before we jump to conclusions about "fair price," it shall be noted there are three models:

Multi
Multi II
Multi PRO

$200 sounds like a price for the original Multi model (or maybe Multi II). I suspect that most people responding above are having in mind the vastly superior PRO model.

torger

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:51 pm »

The problem with flatbed scanners are that they are fuzzy and have poor dynamic range. If you don't need high resolution and you don't need high dynamic range they work fine. Negative film is much nicer to the scanner concerning DR than positives, film like Velvia is a nightmare.

I would not like to scan slide film with a flatbed. Medium format negatives shot under controlled light (no post-processing in terms of shadow pushing etc required) is probably fine.

FredBGG

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:48:23 am »

Fred,

That may be but how in hell do you travel the world with 5 cases of film and go to multiple countries.  I know I did this in the pre 9-11 film days and even then it was a nightmare, today I can't even imagine trying to carry film to 6 domestic cities, much less 6 or 7 countries.

IMO

BC

Fedex? Film safe bag.

I fly with film. It's smaller than most of my gear. Media ID makes a hand inspection of film no problem at all.

Many film photographers shoot all over the world... martin Schoeller for example.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:15 am »

Hi,

Yes Multi pro in my case!

Erik
Erik Kaffehr

bcooter

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 06:23:05 am »

Fedex? Film safe bag.

I fly with film. It's smaller than most of my gear. Media ID makes a hand inspection of film no problem at all.

Many film photographers shoot all over the world... martin Schoeller for example.

We recently dusted off our film cameras and did a few tests and though I like film, miss some of the built in look, etc., we still do a lot of post work, or as the motion picture people call it, the digital intermediate, so by the time I get through messing with it, I don't see that much if any difference, especially with neg film.

We also have media credentials, but our baggage overage is a killer.  With the three reds, our stills cameras, lighting in both flash and grip, our overage coming back from europe or asia easily goes to over 2 grand a flight and though one more case might not seem like a lot, that's still another 100 to 200 bucks that is added to it, plus the worry of someone taking it out of a lead bag and still radiating it.

Film? . . . as much as I like it, I just don't see it for what we do.  Our turnaround times have been reduced by 1/10th of what they used to be and then there is the issue of showing the creatives some kind of proof and I'm way over the polaroid wait time. 2 minutes of so a polaroid times 40 is 80 minutes and 80 minutes nowdays is another scene.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

Hi,

I think that even negative film can be problematic. I did a test with Ektar 100 and got obscene colors. The reason is probably that blue channels is exceeding the DR of my scanner. The enclosed figure stops at D=3.0 but I think the channel goes much higher.

Best regards
Erik

The problem with flatbed scanners are that they are fuzzy and have poor dynamic range. If you don't need high resolution and you don't need high dynamic range they work fine. Negative film is much nicer to the scanner concerning DR than positives, film like Velvia is a nightmare.

I would not like to scan slide film with a flatbed. Medium format negatives shot under controlled light (no post-processing in terms of shadow pushing etc required) is probably fine.
Erik Kaffehr

TMARK

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »

If its the MultiPro that is a great deal.  I'd jump at it.

Lots of people have problems with scanning. It isn't easy.  I've been scanning since 2001 or so.  It is a frustrating and rage making experience.

I never had problems scanning Ektar, except with Silverfast on a Microtek 120tf.  That issue (reds) was tamed by using Viewscan, the Microtek software, or scanning with no curve as a positive and using the CF Systems ColorNeg plug in for Photoshop.

The main difference in scanners, as far as I'm concerned, is ease of use.  Nothing is as easy as a V750 with Vuescan and Scanhancer holders, and I don't even like Viewscan.  In terms of IQ, the Blad 646 I had was better than any other desktop scanner I've used.  Next is the Nikon 9000, then the Microtek.  Then the V750.  The thing is, in order to wring out every last drop of goodness from a piece of celuloid, you need patience and practice.  You need to attack each frame differently, using whatever holders/software/Photoshop skills you have. 

In the end, when I need a perfect, super hi rez scan, I send it out for drum scanning.  I get one with a curve applied and another copy that is raw.
For editorial I used to make prints, but ther eis a paucity of color dark rooms available outside of NYC, LA, and Chicago.

I guess this is a long way of saying I'd jump at the MultiPro.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »

Hi,

I have a Multi Pro, I have also sent a two images to a high end scanning service to be scanned at 6096 BPI.

My experience is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/59-sony-alpha-900-vs-67-analogue-round-2

Best regards
Erik

If its the MultiPro that is a great deal.  I'd jump at it.

Lots of people have problems with scanning. It isn't easy.  I've been scanning since 2001 or so.  It is a frustrating and rage making experience.

I never had problems scanning Ektar, except with Silverfast on a Microtek 120tf.  That issue (reds) was tamed by using Viewscan, the Microtek software, or scanning with no curve as a positive and using the CF Systems ColorNeg plug in for Photoshop.

The main difference in scanners, as far as I'm concerned, is ease of use.  Nothing is as easy as a V750 with Vuescan and Scanhancer holders, and I don't even like Viewscan.  In terms of IQ, the Blad 646 I had was better than any other desktop scanner I've used.  Next is the Nikon 9000, then the Microtek.  Then the V750.  The thing is, in order to wring out every last drop of goodness from a piece of celuloid, you need patience and practice.  You need to attack each frame differently, using whatever holders/software/Photoshop skills you have. 

In the end, when I need a perfect, super hi rez scan, I send it out for drum scanning.  I get one with a curve applied and another copy that is raw.
For editorial I used to make prints, but ther eis a paucity of color dark rooms available outside of NYC, LA, and Chicago.

I guess this is a long way of saying I'd jump at the MultiPro.

Erik Kaffehr

FredBGG

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 04:24:26 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been offered one for 200 usd, i guess thats a quite fair price. I can get the V750 for around 700 usd tho, but its alot more. Would the Dimage work with thunderbolt -> firewire and windows 7 with vuescan then?

Fred: Do you have any examples with 645 neg?

In all honesty i wont be pixel peeping, cause when shooting with film it's the look that i'm after. Not the sharpness. But i want to be able to shoot with it as an extra camera for weddings. So i'd need to be able to prind at least 30x45 prints. So you think that the scanner would be enough? Or am i better off saving up for a v700 or v750?

At that price (200) I would buy it and see how you like it. The great thing about buying at those used prices is that you will get your money back if you decide not to keep it and sell it.

I don't have any 645 scans handy. IF you crop the image I posted in half it's what you would get.

I'll PM you a link to a high res.

You could always get a v750 if you go on to larger formats...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:26:17 pm by FredBGG »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 04:33:05 pm »

Hi,

I had the original Scan Multi and still have the Multi Pro.

Your best chance to used any of those is Vuescan. I would ask Mr. Hamrick about Vuescan support.

I have been instrumental in developing the Vuescan driver for either the Multi II or the Pro, don't recall which, but it was a great experience!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:08 pm »

I don't own one but keep reading around scanners as I need one. The issue with the multipro, from my reading, is the light source. No one seems able to source a replacement. Users report buying another just to get the bulb they do that because it is so good though!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up