Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD Viewfinder for Camera w/ Grip & Follow Focus w/ Grip  (Read 1732 times)

RFPhotography

LCD Viewfinder for Camera w/ Grip & Follow Focus w/ Grip
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:02:06 am »

It seems that most of the decent LCD hoods/viewfinders attach to the camera via the tripod screw at the bottom.  It also seems that these are not meant to be used either on a camera with an integrated grip (e.g., D4) or an accessory grip (e.g., D800 w/ MB-D12).  Are there any LCD hoods/viewfinders out there that do work on cameras with a grip?

Further it seems that the follow focus/rig units that are out there also work with cameras that don't have a grip.  It would seem, based on the pictures accompanying these rigs that the height of the camera with a grip would cause the follow focus unit to to align properly with the focus ring on the lens.  Are there some that will work on a camera with a grip?

Thanks.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: LCD Viewfinder for Camera w/ Grip & Follow Focus w/ Grip
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:12:15 am »

You need to use a base plate with a riser for the rods. There's nothing else stopping it. If for some reason you can't, then a cage will support the attachment from the top.

The follow focus rod clamp should extend even without a riser - they are built for larger diameter lenses with filter threads of 110mm and 114mm.

Hope this helps.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

RFPhotography

Re: LCD Viewfinder for Camera w/ Grip & Follow Focus w/ Grip
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:38:04 am »

Thanks, Sareesh.  That's the conclusion I eventually came to as well.  The earlier rigs I was looking at had fixed plates, but then I found some that had adjustable plates.  Same with the follow focus units.  The ones I was initially looking at weren't adjustable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up