Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get rid of "fur" on trees? (LR4.2)  (Read 1656 times)

dreed

How to get rid of "fur" on trees? (LR4.2)
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:59:43 am »

For this particular image I have over-exposed to try and capture the shadows.

When attempting to recover the image with LR 4.2, I end up with a tree that looks like it has "fur", or that all of its twigs are covered in snow/ice which is not the case.

How do I fix this?

None of the usual suspects (detail, sharpness, etc) seem to help.

Of the attachments below..

lr42_1to1 is a 1:1 bitmap capture of Lightroom of the region that is infected with fur.
raw_windows_viewer is the image as displayed by Microsoft's photo viewer, i.e. I suspect this is just the jpeg stored in the raw file.
blue_1to1 is a bitmap capture of me displaying only the blue channel. For the purposes of the tree, the green channel looks similar.
red_1to1 is a bitmap capture of me displaying only the red channel. This would appear to introduce confusion into the subject matter that is the tree.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:09:05 am by dreed »

dreed

Re: How to get rid of "fur" on trees? (LR4.2)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:48 am »

This might be a better example of the problem...

Tree branches either have "white fur" or no fur depending on the background.

IanBrowne

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:00:39 am »

you may have under exposed a little too much.

When  not sure of the exposure you require it's always a good idea to bracket exposures, even when using raw

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:07 pm »

I sometimes get the that look when using both Recovery and Fill in ACR. Most often I can fix it using the Clarity slider but on more contrasty renderings between the tree branches and background.

Some of this is caused by a combination of bokeh induced blurring and trying to force the roll off of the blurred edge to occupy the same tonal region as another part of an image of more importance. The more pronounced of this in your images are rendered in such a way that don't look natural or naturally lit.

Sometimes these kinds of blurred edges can be fixed using the Luminance and/or Saturation slider on one particular color channel the blurred edge occupies like say the blue channel in your case. A pinch point section adjust on a curve that isolates that tonal region may fix it as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up