Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stay with Epson or move to Canon  (Read 5476 times)

KristiSheriff

stay with Epson or move to Canon
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:20:22 am »

Hello All,

I have been printing large format for about 5 years and I've only ever printed on an Epson.  I own a 4880 which I love and a 9900 which I have loved but am having major issues with now.  The green channel is completely blocked and I cannot get it cleared.  Strike 1.  I am awaiting a call from Epson for an estimate to come and fix it.  They were supposed to call me by this afternoon and never did.  Strike 2!

I did have a printer service company come and change out the wiper blade assembly and run some cleaner through it to get the green unclogged to no avail.  At this point, is it worth fixing?  Or, should I just get a new printer.  And, if I get a new printer, which one to get?  If I go Epson it will have to be another 9900 - I cannot wait for the next models.  They are around $3999 right now.  Or, I could go to the new canon 8400 I believe it is for $3599 and that has a lot of ink in it.  I wouldn't mind buying Epson again - especially since I am invested in Imageprint software and have a lot of ink still.  However, I have read on here that if you only print on and off (which I do) and not everyday, then the Canon printer is a better option. 

I would love any input anyone has regarding this.  Also, does anyone know if I can sell my imageprint software license if I decide to go canon?

Thanks so much!

All Thumbs

Re: stay with Epson or move to Canon
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:46:20 am »

Hi,

I don't know if the ifp8300 is sold out yet, but you might call a canon reseller and find out.  Less than a month ago they were selling for less than $2000.  See reply #73 in thread below.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=69702.msg565920#msg565920.

Good luck.

KristiSheriff

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:24 am »

Wow!  That would be worth it to try it for that price.  Thanks for the tip!!!!

I found this website is offering that:  http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/Canon-imagePROGRAF-iPF8300-44-in-Printer-with-Trade-In-p5035.html?gclid=CNnxof7aubMCFQ6CQgodjnMAtg

But, I have always ordered my printers from Lexjet.  Anyone ever order from the website above?

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »

Wow!  That would be worth it to try it for that price.  Thanks for the tip!!!!

I found this website is offering that:  http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/Canon-imagePROGRAF-iPF8300-44-in-Printer-with-Trade-In-p5035.html?gclid=CNnxof7aubMCFQ6CQgodjnMAtg

But, I have always ordered my printers from Lexjet.  Anyone ever order from the website above?

I bought from Atlex/Itsupplies. I am sure that Lexjet will give you the same deal if you call them. They all ship from the same drop-ship warehouses, so they are all selling from the same inventory.

KristiSheriff

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »

I decided this morning to just go ahead and get it through Lexjet since they are great to deal with. However, they didn't have any 8300's in stock.  So, I went with the 8400.  Let's hope it all goes well.  Now I have to sell my 44" license of Imageprint.  Is this something I can sell on ebay?  Anyone know?

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:32:18 pm »

We have the IPF8400 for under $5k with 2 discounts available and possible finance options.  Mail-in and Trade-in
IPF8300 was sold out at end of last month and is now discontinued.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
sales@atlex.com

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »

I decided this morning to just go ahead and get it through Lexjet since they are great to deal with. However, they didn't have any 8300's in stock.  So, I went with the 8400.  Let's hope it all goes well.  Now I have to sell my 44" license of Imageprint.  Is this something I can sell on ebay?  Anyone know?

How much did you end up paying for 8400?

Shate98

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:14:50 pm »

Please let us know how you like the new 8400 vs having used the 9900.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:42:25 pm »

The 8400 is not much different than the 8300.  8400 is a bit more updated with software and hardware and quality is pretty much the same as the 8300.  Inks are exactly the same, but different chipset so you can use the 8400 in the 8300 ink, but not the other way.

The 9900 is supposed to be the top of the line printer with the HDR inks, but it's quality is really comparable to the 8300 as well.  Granite the brands won't look the same, but I've had a customer that got a test print from their friend on the 9890 and I did a test for them on the 8300.  When they showed a person both prints without telling them which one was printed on which, (their friend is really into details), they chose the IPF8300 print and was shocked that it wasn't the Epson.

So, the IPF8400 will be in this area, but it also depends on the customer or users preferences for detail.

Shate98

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »

The 8400 is not much different than the 8300.  8400 is a bit more updated with software and hardware and quality is pretty much the same as the 8300.  Inks are exactly the same, but different chipset so you can use the 8400 in the 8300 ink, but not the other way.

The 9900 is supposed to be the top of the line printer with the HDR inks, but it's quality is really comparable to the 8300 as well.  Granite the brands won't look the same, but I've had a customer that got a test print from their friend on the 9890 and I did a test for them on the 8300.  When they showed a person both prints without telling them which one was printed on which, (their friend is really into details), they chose the IPF8300 print and was shocked that it wasn't the Epson.

So, the IPF8400 will be in this area, but it also depends on the customer or users preferences for detail.

How do they stack up when printing from indesign?

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:03 pm »

Our graphic person has printed from InDesign on the IPF8300 without much of a problem.  He hasn't done it through a RIP software, but it will be the same turnout with the IPF8400.  If you're looking for precise printing from what you do in the program (color wise), getting a RIP program would make this possible.  Otherwise, they come out really nice just printing directly from the program itself.

Hope this helps.

KristiSheriff

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 11:33:14 pm »

I will let you guys know how I like it compared to the 9900.  I am hoping it is not too steep of a learning curve.  I have always just used imageprint and so that really streamlines my printing for me. 

I ended up getting it for $3650 I believe and then I will get a $1000 rebate on top of that.  I couldn't pass that up considering I've read it is probably the better option if I am not printing every day - which I am not.   Otherwise, if the Epson had a feature like that I probably would have stayed Epson simply due to Imageprint. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:51:11 am »

Otherwise, if the Epson had a feature like that I probably would have stayed Epson simply due to Imageprint. 

If it is for the nesting of images etc then consider Qimage Ultimate, the more if you print from a Windows system.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
470+ inkjet paper white spectral plots, November 2012:
rearranged categories, Permajet + MediaJet brands added.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »

Any feedback on the 8400?
Mike Guilbault

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 10:02:27 am »

Mike,

The IPF8400 has so far been doing as great as the IPF8300.  The use the same exact colors and body is the same.  The hardware and software were a bit more updated, but the quality is about the same.  Print speed is really close to the 8300 as well.

We have the 8300 unit in our office as well as the IPF6450 (which is the same printing as the 8400).  If you are looking for more information or samples to see the difference, we can surely assist you with that.

Our tech can also give you some information as well.
atlex.com
Chris W
800-327-2822 x5583

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 02:26:07 pm »

Thanks Chris.. I was actually hoping for some feed back from Kristi and her comparison between it and the 9900.
Mike Guilbault

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

even if you're not printing daily you may want to make a point of printing something weekly. My ipf8300 gets used every few days, but I've recently had an expensive print head replacement that seems to be related to the lower use it gets. The big printers want to run. I wish I knew the 8300 was avail around $2k, I would have bought another.

I LOVE the canon for it's lack of headaches, absolutely stellar support and ease of use right out of the box. Epson pissed me off for years and years and I'll never go back.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up