Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTB: BUYERS BEWARE  (Read 1917 times)

93cobrar

WTB: BUYERS BEWARE
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:54 pm »

I have had a number of scammers trying to sell me equipment (digital backs) they did not own after I have placed ads on this and other sites....It is becoming very common. So here are a few tips....

1. Use Paypal for transaction, if you are a member, you usually qualify for Buyer Protection
2. Make sure you send money for "goods" or have seller send you an invoice for "goods"
3. Spell out any warranty return policy that seller agrees to on you paypal transaction message.
4. If paypal requires a 21-day hold, and is recommending seller provide delivery confirmation, and seller instead wants to wait out the 21-day hold, do not purchase.
5. Use escrow.com, which will cost you and/or seller a fee, but protects both of you. You receive item, and confirm it is as advertised, and funds are then released to seller.
6. If seller does not want to work with you on escrow.com, do not purchase.
7. Have seller placed dated piece of paper or tape on item, to make sure he has the item in his possession. I have had seller photoshop date on background, which proved he only had a photo to sell.....

Hope this helps

Sandy

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Re: WTB: BUYERS BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 03:24:48 pm »

I have sold more than 1 digital back over the years. I have also bought more than 1. Let me tell you, I would never use any so-called escrow service.

You want to buy, you pay, you receive. If you like you can come over and visit.

Geezz... Your suggestions seem to arrive directly from one of those Ebay guides on how to buy.

if you don't feel comfortable with the seller than don't buy. After hundreds of transactions I have been scammed once, most people are pretty decent fortunately.

I think part of the problem is also buyers that have unrealistic expectations and are after the lowest price only. Deals that seem to be too good to be true often are and it is typically those deals that most buyers go after. Heck, I have had potential buyers go mad at me because I would not go as low in price as an obvious scammer....

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:53:31 am by Dustbak »

93cobrar

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »

Times change, and the internet brings with it many risks and fraud artists....If you are willing to send payment to anyone in another location/country and "hope" you get the item, good luck to you.

algrove

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:50:24 am »

I had a Spanish "seller" repeatedly at my request not send photos for a while, but posted to me obvious Leica R lens data. Then finally after 8-10 email requests I got the photos, but none with serial number showing. I repeatedly asked for the serial number and a photo of it-which is common when buying a $4000+ lens.  He finally sent me only the serial number without photo after 15 email exchanges. The serial number did not come close to the ones I could find via Leica sites. So I thought that maybe the serial number he had was one I could not find. BUT, when I asked him for a photo of the serial number he emailed me back--"Stop playing me". Obviously, it was he who was playing me.

Watch out folks. The unemployment rate in that country is horrendously high and it is now bringing out the worst in some.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:54:01 am by algrove »
Pages: [1]   Go Up