Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best all rounder lens for Panasonic G1?  (Read 3193 times)

leeluu

Best all rounder lens for Panasonic G1?
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »

Hey guys,
First ever post, as I just bought my first ever camera - a panasonic G1. I know nothing about cameras or photography, but thought the best place to start would be with a half decent camera which I can turn off the auto settings to learn with.
My camera has no lens yet, and I wondered which lens do you think would be a good start for me?
Something that's not too big or expensive that I can just, you know, take normal photos with.
Also, can anyone recommend a good way of learning photography ie - a book, a website, anything.
Thank you!
Can't wait til I can speak your language

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Best all rounder lens for Panasonic G1?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:26:50 am »

The lens that came in the kit with the original G1 was the Panasonic 14-45mm zoom. It's an excellent lens if you can find one. The current kit zoom is a 14-42mm which is fine, but not quite as good. It's available and not expensive right now. Depending on where you purchased your camera, you may be able to find one of these lenses, too.

For a book, I would recommend the Life Magazine Guide to Digital Photography by Joe McNally. McNally has an engaging writing style, and the book is aimed squarely at the photographer with a new DSLR.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

speedyk

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »

I use a G1 with the original lens. It works out to a 35mm equivalent of 28-90 mm, which is a useful if limited range, it is possible to get decent photos out of it. There are lots of little helpful things built into the G1, you will find them as you use it and try new things. After several years I am still finding little touches, they put a lot of care into the G1. If you can afford it, the 14-140mm lens that came with the GH2 would be a good upgrade.

Once you get a lens, put the top dial on P and go take photos. Try different settings and see what you catch when you look through them at home. Post questions when you find something you can't do. You should be able to download a manual from the Panasonic website.

My website is http://carl.krall.org, the photos for the past few years were all with the G1 and stock lens. You can click on any one to enlarge or try the piclens link for larger still, that will go full screen. Should give you an idea of what can be done with a G1 by an untutored underfunded amateur. I'd like to have the upgraded lens I mentioned above, but I'm lucky to have a camera at all at this point.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:17:16 pm by speedyk »

leeluu

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:32 am »

Thank you all, I will definitely put your suggestions to good use.

I can't wait to begin. Camera is being shipped from US to Australia, I bought it from ebay and it is just the body. Someone must have liked the original lens it came with I'm guessing.

atassy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »

a really nice lens to start out with is the panasonic 20mm pancake.
it's optically pretty decent, has a nice large aperture (f1.7) that lets you practice using depth of field, and is not expensive. the focal length is quite versatile.

being a fixed focal length it will help you to learn understand how to use distance-to-subject and perspective more than a zoom where it's too tempting to just twist the zoom ring for effect.
and later, when you get more lenses, it will still have its place as it makes the camera/lens combination an incredibly compact package.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

The 20mm f1.7 pancake is a great all round lens with good resolution from wide open and a useful field of view. Shop around as you can find them at good prices on the web.
Ken Cameron

Petur

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 03:40:20 pm »

On MFT Micro Four Third cameras like yours, let's say Olympus Pen and Panasonic G series, you can use Olympus lenses, Panasonic lenses as well as Sigma DN lenses, some Voigtländer (non AF lenses) or you can just find an adapter to use old manual focus lenses.

Then you can use a zoom lens or use a fixed focal lens. I mainly do not use zooms, I prefer fixed focal lenses. I am sure you can find a cheap Olympus or Panasonic lens like a 14-45 or you can choose the SIgma DN lenses (19mm f2.8 and 30mmF2.8) that are very good and very cheap. They both cost under 200€ each.

My first lens with my GX1 was the Panasonic 14 mm, then the Sigma 19, then the Sigma 30. Next one will be the Olympus 45.

The best you can do in go to a camera store and try the lenses availlable.

Then to lurn photography I suppose there are many tutorials online, then you can visit the local library where you might find the books you need.

With kind regards

Pierre
Pages: [1]   Go Up