Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CO7 Working with catalogs (referenced)  (Read 3216 times)

ario

CO7 Working with catalogs (referenced)
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:01:45 am »

I am exploring the different options made available with the new catalog functions of CO7 and I found a workflow problem for which I am looking for a workaround.
I prefer the referenced approach because the raw file organization remains totally independent from the SW I use and I can refer to it either from LR or Aperture or Capture One leaving it untouched (also for use with SW which might be available in the future). I personally use a chronological structure (year/month/day) since my first approach to the digital imaging many years ago, but this is not relevant.
I keep both the picture folders and the data base folders (LR and Capture One for instance) on the root folder of the same external HD's of which I have multiple copies (clones) so that I can move them among different computers, working always on the most update version of my files.
With LR this is easy and smooth since I can plug in any HD and the library does not loose the reference to the originals, but with CO7 this does not happen and I am forced to work offline, with some limitation (not so many  :) ).
I imagine that this is because CO7 is looking for the originals following the complete path while LR is probably ignoring the HD name if the originals are located in the same root folder as the library.
It is not a very big issue because other than exporting I can do almost everything but still I see this as a limitation to my usual workflow.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: CO7 Working with catalogs (referenced)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:33:38 am »

Hi Ario,

Thanks for exploring Capture One Catalogs!

Yes, I guess your 'Master' hard drive (the one which other drives are then cloned on) are named differently.  So if you load up a different drive with the cloned catalog it will be looking for the named drive on the master drive.

I am trying to think of a way you could use one catalog database file (which can be backed up anyway) and your multiple clones of the images.

How often are you chopping and changing between computers?

D
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

ario

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:33 am »

Hi David,
thanks for following up. I usually switch from one computer to an other on a daily basis and I really like working with catalogs.
My main problem is that I still want/need to use also Lightroom as main organizing tool because of certain features not (yet ?) available in CO such as export to publish services or not yet (for me ) satisfactory such as printing from raw, but more in general I wish to have the flexibility to access my files with the tool i feel most appropriate for the specific task.
I was hoping that also with CO (as it is with LR) there was a way for the catalog db engine to trace the location of the originals as long as they are placed on the same root folder of the same drive.
Using CO7 with the session approach or with  managed catalog (s) will be easy but the storage size will grow and also the workflow will be for me less smooth.

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:47 am »

Hi David,
thanks for following up. I usually switch from one computer to an other on a daily basis and I really like working with catalogs.
My main problem is that I still want/need to use also Lightroom as main organizing tool because of certain features not (yet ?) available in CO such as export to publish services or not yet (for me ) satisfactory such as printing from raw, but more in general I wish to have the flexibility to access my files with the tool i feel most appropriate for the specific task.
I was hoping that also with CO (as it is with LR) there was a way for the catalog db engine to trace the location of the originals as long as they are placed on the same root folder of the same drive.
Using CO7 with the session approach or with  managed catalog (s) will be easy but the storage size will grow and also the workflow will be for me less smooth.

There is a locate function in the Library tool. Click on the small arrow at the top of the tool and choose 'Show info'.

Doing this from memory so let me know if I am not right.

In theory when you switch computers / drives you could just locate the root and all will be well.

D
David Grover

ario

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:00:45 am »

There is a locate function in the Library tool. Click on the small arrow at the top of the tool and choose 'Show info'.

Doing this from memory so let me know if I am not right.

In theory when you switch computers / drives you could just locate the root and all will be well.

D
Thanks David,
it works  :)

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:54 am »

Thanks David,
it works  :)

Nice to have a small victory.  :D
David Grover

ario

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:18 am »

Nice to find somebody who has the knowledge to supplement the not-so-rich CO documentation. :)

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 04:40:56 am »

Nice to find somebody who has the knowledge to supplement the not-so-rich CO documentation. :)

Based on this, I think ill make a video on the Folders tool specifically.

..and thankyou!

D
David Grover
Pages: [1]   Go Up