Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Húsavík - Splendid Isolation  (Read 1573 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Húsavík - Splendid Isolation
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:19 am »

The abandoned cove of Húsavík in the east of Iceland.

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Re: Húsavík - Splendid Isolation
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:25:05 am »

A pleasant enough scene, hampered by a lack of dynamic/directional light...it unfortunately translated to a flat image which is a great shame as the subject matter/location should/ could give so much more. Just a thought but finding the bearing of sun up sun down and working with the map would help capture something much more vibrant/dynamic...just a thought Rajan?...but my opinion is just one in a sea of billions, essentially we must all always please ourselves first.

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:00 am »

I quite like it as it reminds me of my last visit there.
Francois

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:50:42 am »

A pleasant enough scene, hampered by a lack of dynamic/directional light...it unfortunately translated to a flat image which is a great shame as the subject matter/location should/ could give so much more. Just a thought but finding the bearing of sun up sun down and working with the map would help capture something much more vibrant/dynamic...just a thought Rajan?...but my opinion is just one in a sea of billions, essentially we must all always please ourselves first.

Shaun

Shaun,

Thank you for your critique.

To me, this kind of diffused overcast light best suits Iceland's landscape. Sure, there are dramatic opportunities, too, at the 'edge of light,' but in the main, I prefer to shoot in the kind of light exemplified above.

Also - one thing you don't get to do in Iceland is choose the 'right' time and weather. I went twice to Húsavík, on consecutive days, and made lemonade with the lemons dealt to me.

Francois, thank you.

francois

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »

on consecutive days, and made lemonade with the lemons dealt to me.

FWIW, back in 2005, if I remember correctly, we spent 8 consecutive days on the south coast of Iceland without seeing the sun or the moon. We were soaked and cold but I kept on shooting and ended up with nice, unusual photos. The light was similar to your Húsavík photo.
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »

That lighting is purely Icelandic. Lovely!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »

Nice sky, well-timed and suitably processed.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 05:26:14 pm »

There is a lot of subtlety in the clouds and a lovely play of light. I suspect the jpeg is not doing you any favours. These kind of shots usually suffer online as the jpeg just cant convey the real beauty of the light. I'd love to see a print - I bet it comes alive and shines in print.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »

There is a lot of subtlety in the clouds and a lovely play of light. I suspect the jpeg is not doing you any favours. These kind of shots usually suffer online as the jpeg just cant convey the real beauty of the light. I'd love to see a print - I bet it comes alive and shines in print.

Yes, the subtle details come through nicely on my NEC 27" monitor. I suspect they'll emerge even better on a calibrated Retina Display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up