Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pour les photographes francophones / Fuer alle deutschsprachigen Fotografen  (Read 4662 times)

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr

Tomorrow the French-German channel Arte starts broadcasting a 12 episode documentary on the acceptance of photography as a form of art. Each episode can also be watched online for a week starting from the day of it first broadcast.
If I can figure out how to use an online VCR until tomorrow, I'll try to record the first episode. Any help is welcome.

"Den Kampf der Fotografie um die Anerkennung als eigenständige Kunstform schildert die neue zwölfteilige ARTE-Reihe PHOTO.
Angefangen bei den Pionieren des 19. Jahrhunderts über die Surrealisten bis zur neuen deutschen Sachlichkeit der Bechers und ihrer Schüler Gursky, Struth oder Ruff werden exemplarische Fotoarbeiten vorgestellt."

"En douze épisodes narrés par Mathieu Demy, la très belle collection "PHOTO" retrace l’aventure de cet art, de sa naissance à nos jours.
Entre rigueur scientifique, inventivité et beauté visuelle, une collection documentaire aussi ambitieuse qu’accessible pour découvrir ce qui se cache en dehors du cadre."

Philipp

francois

Tomorrow the French-German channel Arte starts broadcasting a 12 episode documentary on the acceptance of photography as a form of art. Each episode can also be watched online for a week starting from the day of it first broadcast.
If I can figure out how to use an online VCR until tomorrow, I'll try to record the first episode. Any help is welcome.

"Den Kampf der Fotografie um die Anerkennung als eigenständige Kunstform schildert die neue zwölfteilige ARTE-Reihe PHOTO.
Angefangen bei den Pionieren des 19. Jahrhunderts über die Surrealisten bis zur neuen deutschen Sachlichkeit der Bechers und ihrer Schüler Gursky, Struth oder Ruff werden exemplarische Fotoarbeiten vorgestellt."

"En douze épisodes narrés par Mathieu Demy, la très belle collection "PHOTO" retrace l’aventure de cet art, de sa naissance à nos jours.
Entre rigueur scientifique, inventivité et beauté visuelle, une collection documentaire aussi ambitieuse qu’accessible pour découvrir ce qui se cache en dehors du cadre."

Philipp

Thanks a lot Philipp!

FWIW, ARTE programs can be watched up to 7 days after being aired on TV (via the arte.tv website, look for ARTE+7). On  a Mac, it's possible to download most of the shows using the freeware/donationware Mediathek. application. I'm sure that equivalent softwares exist on other platforms.
Francois

Fips

Thank for the link! Just tried Mediathek and it worked flawlessly.

I really enjoyed the first episode. Amazing how much "photoshopping" already went on in the 1850s. HDR, stiching and retouching included.

francois

Philipp,
Just watched the documentary. It's outstanding, not only they used HDR, stitching, focus stacking but also content-aware fill.

I can not recommend it enough, even for those without fluent german or french.

French version is here  : http://videos.arte.tv/fr/videos/les-primitifs-de-la-photographie-1850-1860--7026962.html
German version is here: http://videos.arte.tv/de/videos/fotografie-als-kunst-1850-1860--7026962.html

Thanks again!
Francois

stamper

Lightroom as well? ;)

francois

Lightroom as well? ;)

Of course, with but a different name!  :D
Francois

Patricia Sheley

"Unfortunately we do not own the rights to stream the video in your country"  If you discover another way please let us know...Thanks
A common woman~

Fips

Patricia,

write me a PM if you are interested.

francois

Patricia,

write me a PM if you are interested.

You could put the episode on Dropbox or something similar. It's only 175 MB file.

I didn't think that the ARTE programs would be region or country limited. I'm not in France or Germany and I could watch/download it. Granted, Switzerland is tucked between France, Germany and Italy so ARTE might be Europe only…
Francois

Fips

I didn't think that the ARTE programs would be region or country limited. I'm not in France or Germany and I could watch/download it. Granted, Switzerland is tucked between France, Germany and Italy so ARTE might be Europe only…

According to ARTEs web player EULA, access is restricted to Germany and (continental) France. But as you found out, that might not be entirely true. From my experience I know that it certainly doesn't work in the US.

Technically you're only given access if your IP address is from an allowed area. Maybe the Romandie shares some address blocks with France or you're very close to the French border.
I live about 100m from the Swiss border and on some days I have a Swiss IP address at home which means no German TV on the internet and different Google search results.

francois

Re: Pour les photographes francophones / Fuer alle deutschsprachigen Fotografen
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:33 am »

According to ARTEs web player EULA, access is restricted to Germany and (continental) France. But as you found out, that might not be entirely true. From my experience I know that it certainly doesn't work in the US.

Technically you're only given access if your IP address is from an allowed area. Maybe the Romandie shares some address blocks with France or you're very close to the French border.
I live about 100m from the Swiss border and on some days I have a Swiss IP address at home which means no German TV on the internet and different Google search results.

I'm only 10 km away from France (just across Lake of Geneva). I cannot watch most "replays" from TF1, France 2, 3, 4, 5, Ô or M6 unless I use a french VPN.

One workaround might be Zattoo (without subscription). With it, I'm able to watch some British, French or German channels that are unreachable or blocked otherwise.
Francois

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 10:39:55 am »

On  a Mac, it's possible to download most of the shows using the freeware/donationware Mediathek. application. I'm sure that equivalent softwares exist on other platforms.
On windows, Captvty does the job as well, but I think that country/IP adresses limitations are enforced. Well, the soft and the website http://captvty.fr are solely in french, so that may well bother more nos cousins kébékoés ;) than the rest of America.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:44:28 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

francois

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

On windows, Captvty does the job as well, but I think that country/IP adresses limitations are enforced. Well, the soft and the website http://captvty.fr are solely in french, so that may well bother more nos cousins kébékoés ;) than the rest of America.

I don't know whether Mediathek on the Mac enforces country/region blocking but I think that Zattoo should work as I wrote above, I can watch channels that are blocked in Switzerland. Zattoo is supposed to offer recording but I've never tested (might be for paying users, though). For our cousins from Québec, the show, ideally, would have sub-titles… (just kidding of course).
Francois

niznai

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »

Crap. Links don't work here either, but then again, we're hanging upside down. Any ideas?

francois

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:40 am »

Crap. Links don't work here either, but then again, we're hanging upside down. Any ideas?

I have the first three episodes, in French. Philipp (Fips) might have them in German.
Francois

niznai

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 11:25:05 am »

French, german, doesn't matter. It's all chinese to me. I can manage either way, though.

Fips

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 12:35:02 pm »

OK, here's an update. I found out how I can download from ARTE in German AND French. Now I do have all three episodes which have been broadcasted so far in German and the last two in French as well.
Somebody from this forum already already asked me to share them, which technically is no problem. I'll upload them onto some server. However, for obvious reasons I can't provide a public link. But if you send me a PM...

[EDIT] Currently I am really busy courtesy of some job related changes, so please be patient. I might not be able to respond instantaneous.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:36:58 pm by Fips »
Pages: [1]   Go Up