Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images from catalog to Session  (Read 6964 times)

hubell

Re: Images from catalog to Session
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:55:31 am »

Hello David:
Is there a third way to use C1 V.7 without either using Sessions or creating a separate C1 Catalog for all of my files? I currently use Lightroom 4 as my DAM, but want to use C1 V. 7 just to process select P65, IQ180 and Nikon D800 files. I would like to use V.7 to take advantage of the improved tools in V.7 that "may" produce better results than the Develop Module in LR 4(TBD!). I suspect that a number of potential users are in the same boat in wanting to use both LR 4 and C1 V.7. What is the best way to make them play nice with each other?
Thanks for your help.
Howard

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 09:46:08 am »

Hello David:
Is there a third way to use C1 V.7 without either using Sessions or creating a separate C1 Catalog for all of my files? I currently use Lightroom 4 as my DAM, but want to use C1 V. 7 just to process select P65, IQ180 and Nikon D800 files. I would like to use V.7 to take advantage of the improved tools in V.7 that "may" produce better results than the Develop Module in LR 4(TBD!). I suspect that a number of potential users are in the same boat in wanting to use both LR 4 and C1 V.7. What is the best way to make them play nice with each other?
Thanks for your help.
Howard

Hi Howard,

Hopefully you would in the long run use Capture One Pro as your DAM.  ;)  But I understand its a 'Big Ask' of customers until we can thoroughly convince you.

So in the interim you can't really avoid working without a Session or Catalog.  Well, you could but you are kind of swimming upstream.

Maybe you can treat it how I treat Capture Pro 7 and iPhoto?  I use COP7 for my raw processing and DAM side of things, and iPhoto for final Jpegs as then it syncs to the iPad, available on Apple TV etc etc... to keep the family happy.

In more detail, my COP7 catalog is set up so that on my Laptop I have the Catalog file and the raw files are referenced to an external disk - I don't want to be carrying all the RAW files with me, and really have no need.  But, I can still organise and adjust without having access to the RAW files.  This is a great feature.

I use Projects, Groups, Albums and Smart Albums to virtually organise the catalog.  Each event is contained in a 'Project' folder and has one album which has all the images and a second smart album which just shows the ones I have tagged as Five Star.  I also have some global Smart albums which show me every five star image in every project and ones with certain keywords.

The raw files from each 'Event' sit in their own folder which is shown in the Folders area of the Library tool.

Everything is backed up via Time Machine and the Catalog file is also backed up away from the laptop.  So if my laptop gets trashed then the Catalog doesn't.

I feel pretty comfortable with that arrangement.

When I export final JPEGs I just throw them at iPhoto for reasons mentioned earlier.

Perhaps in your situation you could then use Lightroom as your 'main' DAM.

Ideally I would like you to use Capture One Pro 7 as the full solution and in time I hope you will see the advantages to that.

See what you think of that and lets discuss your solution.

David.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:17:27 am by David Grover / Phase One »
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

hubell

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »

Thanks, David. Is there a way for me to create a Catalog in C1 that contains just a series of Albums or Projects that I would somehow fill with a group of selected raw files that are "exported" from Lightroom?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 03:41:43 am »

Thanks, David. Is there a way for me to create a Catalog in C1 that contains just a series of Albums or Projects that I would somehow fill with a group of selected raw files that are "exported" from Lightroom?

Yes, very easily.

If you are using Lightroom as your DAM, then there is nothing to stop you importing some images into CO7, referencing them in their folders that Lightroom is looking at.

But it depends a little bit on what you want to achieve?  Still not sure of that!

D

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

hubell

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:57 am »

Sorry I am not being clear, David. I would like to continue to use Lightroom 4 as my DAM with a single catalog that includes/references all of my digital files that are in separate Folders organized by location and date(e.g., a Folder labeled "Vermont December 2011") that are spread over multiple hard drives and review and rate my images in LR. There are  relatively few images that I ultimately want to edit and print. I would like the ability to process those select images in C1 V. 7 and be able to output them to TIFFs that I would then take to Photoshop for further processing and printing. These TIFFS would be in the LR Catalog.
Perhaps it would make sense to put my selects from a Folder that I want to process into a new "Album" that is labelled "Selects from Vermont December 2011." I could then create a new Subfolder in LR in the "Vermont December 2011" Folder titled "Capture One Processed Files" and copy into it the raw files from the LR Album. Then, I would go to C1 V. 7, open a Session and point it to the "Capture One Process Files" Subfolder. After working on a raw file in C1 and exporting it as a TIFF to the Output subfolder in the Session, I would have to reimport those TIFFs into LR, and again each time I worked on one of these TIFFs in Photoshop.
Is  there an easier way to do what I want to do?
Thanks.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »

Sorry I am not being clear, David. I would like to continue to use Lightroom 4 as my DAM with a single catalog that includes/references all of my digital files that are in separate Folders organized by location and date(e.g., a Folder labeled "Vermont December 2011") that are spread over multiple hard drives and review and rate my images in LR. There are  relatively few images that I ultimately want to edit and print. I would like the ability to process those select images in C1 V. 7 and be able to output them to TIFFs that I would then take to Photoshop for further processing and printing. These TIFFS would be in the LR Catalog.
Perhaps it would make sense to put my selects from a Folder that I want to process into a new "Album" that is labelled "Selects from Vermont December 2011." I could then create a new Subfolder in LR in the "Vermont December 2011" Folder titled "Capture One Processed Files" and copy into it the raw files from the LR Album. Then, I would go to C1 V. 7, open a Session and point it to the "Capture One Process Files" Subfolder. After working on a raw file in C1 and exporting it as a TIFF to the Output subfolder in the Session, I would have to reimport those TIFFs into LR, and again each time I worked on one of these TIFFs in Photoshop.
Is  there an easier way to do what I want to do?
Thanks.

Howard, I'm glad we've set up to have a screen-sharing training catered to this use case.

As we discussed there is no cure-all here, but there are several hooks in each program to make this easier, and some easy scripts that will aid in this workflow:
- a simple script that combines Apple-R (reveal in finder) with a command to open the file in Capture One, which will tell Capture One to navigate to the file in the System Folder tool, and select it. This will make it one keystroke to go from LR to C1.
- the option in Capture One to Process the file back to the "image folder" (meaning the location the file is currently in) rather than the "output folder".
- the option in Capture One to "open with" which, when set to LR, will result in Lightroom opening the import dialogue which will maintain it's "add" default (if that's what you leave it on) such that the file is referenced in place. OR alternatively the option in LR to "synchronize folder" which auto imports new images from any given folder to insure they are cataloged side-by-side with your raws from the same project.

Round trip this allows you to use LR to catalog, organize, and edit down your images, and use Capture One to process them.

I agree with David that continued development/extension/refining of C1v7's cataloging function will allow you to use C1 for both the cataloging and processing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:17:44 pm by Doug Peterson »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »

One idea would be to use my Lightroom plugin Open Directly (even the trial version) which effectively runs a shell command to send the picture to C1 (it could even run an automator or vb script). With C1v6, it opens the raw file directly in C1, and it seems to do the same with C1v7 in sessions mode.

With C1v7 in catalogue mode, OpenDirectly seems to trigger the Import dialog, which is fine if the picture isn't already in C1 but less good in you've already imported the file into C1. C1's import tells you the file is already catalogued but sadly it doesn't select it in the catalogue.

I agree with the comments about the long term difficulty of working with both apps, and you're going to have to be clear about their roles. You're always going to hit problems if you try to use two programs to catalogue your images, so if you're saying LR will be the DAM program I'd recommend you ensure that all ratings, keywords and any other metadata is entered in LR, never in C1. You'll also have to be careful about moving files since LR doesn't know about C1's sessions files. No doubt there are other similar awkwardnesses.

John

(Doug/David feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood some of the C1 details.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up