Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luminance in LR vs Selective Color in PS  (Read 2764 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Luminance in LR vs Selective Color in PS
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:55:19 am »

Hi,
In the past I have done very little in LR other than temp, clarity, and maybe vibrance before going into photoshop.  Once feature in photoshop that I like to use is selective color.  Is luminance in LR 4 the same?  Why is there no gray slider like there is in photoshop?

RFPhotography

Re: Luminance in LR vs Selective Color in PS
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

I presume you're talking about the Luminance panel in the HSL/Color/B&W module?  In that module, Luminance is the lightness or darkness of a colour.  The difference between the LR/ACR Luminance tool and the corresponding slider in the Hue/Saturation adjustment in Photoshop is that in LR/ACR, the saturation of a colour is nearly unchanged with Luminance.  With the H/S adjustment in PS, saturation is reduced as you lighten or darken a colour via Luminance.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:38 am »

How is selective color in PS5 different from Luminance under the HSL sliders in LR4?  In selective color you have a neutral slider which is lacking under the HSL tab. 

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:28:24 am »

Hugh,

The Luminance sliders are the same as your black slider. The black slider smiply controls the luminance of the selected color.

I have never used selective color before but the HSL sliders do the same thing, change hue and luminance, plus saturation.

Rich

Glenn NK

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »

Hi,
In the past I have done very little in LR other than temp, clarity, and maybe vibrance before going into photoshop.  One feature in photoshop that I like to use is selective color.  Is luminance in LR 4 the same?  Why is there no gray slider like there is in photoshop?

As already noted, luminance in LR is not selective colour; in LR, use the HSL panel (hue, saturation, luminance).

There is no gray slider in LR (probably) because it is a very different program.  LR never edits your original JPEG/RAW files.

If you totally muck up an image, hit RESET in LR, and your original is back with no changes at all.

The internal workings of the programs are very different, so I find it interesting that CS and LR have very similar controls.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:12 pm »

The difference between the Luminance slider in LR/ACR and the Blacks slider in Selective Color, as far as I can tell, is that the LR/ACR Luminance slider is a relative adjustment and it's relative to brightness values that already exist.  The Blacks slider, on the other hand, appears to simply be a global darkening or brightening without regard to what the starting point was for brightness values was in the particular colour being adjusted.

In the images below, you've got the original then the extremes at each end of the Blacks/Luminance sliders.  In the side by sides, Selective Color is on the left and LR/ACR is on the right.  The Luminance slider in LR/ACR has done a better job of retaining the original brightness differences.

Pages: [1]   Go Up