Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 v7: Highlight & Shadow recovery via gradient?  (Read 1487 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
C1 v7: Highlight & Shadow recovery via gradient?
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:48 am »

LR4 has a very utilitarian feature where you can draw in a reduced sky exposure with a gradient, and then in the same gradient, recover shadows.  Great for toning down a sky where tree branches protrude into the sky.  You can tone down the sky values, then boost up the tree branches that were darkened by the first step.  Can C1 v7 do this?  I'm unable to with the 7.0 but could it be changed?  Another developer question I guess, but maybe somebody has a clever workaround to accomplish the same objective.

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: C1 v7: Highlight & Shadow recovery via gradient?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:01:45 am »

C1v7 does not have highlight/shadow recovery implemented in local adjustments.

However I find the Color Editor can have largely the same effect. Either use color editor to darken blue values (using a gradient local adjustment) or select blues and then invert the selection (so everything BUT blues is selected) and increase luminance. The good thing about this approach is that it works better on complicated sky/horizon lines - if there are branches/trees/houses/mountains that are creating a complex horizon the "darken blues" method deals with the complex horizon with minimal effort.

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
Re: C1 v7: Highlight & Shadow recovery via gradient?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:10:10 am »

Terrific!  I'll try that Doug - thanks for the quick reply. 
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up