Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I one of the unwashed masses?  (Read 10292 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Am I one of the unwashed masses?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 04:07:50 pm »

RSL,

I haven't bathed in about 40 years, however I do shower daily.....

Marv

Marv, Since you didn't tell us, I don't know where you are, but for those whose first language is English, "bathing" includes showering.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

marvpelkey

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »

Russ,

A bit of hyperbole on my part in the subject heading of my initial post. i, perhaps incorrectly, assumed you were responding with a bit of jest and so I did the same.

I am from the Vancouver, Canada area and although a descendent (by many generations) of some French Canadian heritage, my first language is English. Although not commonly referred to as bathing, at least in my circles, I will agree with you that bathing can include showering, if one accepts a rather broad definition. Thanks for setting me straight  ;D.

Marv

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:51 pm »

...for those whose first language is English, "bathing" includes showering...
Not to me it doesn't. A brave claim, given the number and variety of people all over the world whose first language is English. If I meant showering I would say showering and if I said bathing I would mean I had taken a bath. But then, my first language was in fact Sinhalese, my mother tells me, taught to me by my nanny. Unfortunately, I had lost it all by my second birthday.
Ken Cameron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up