Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: P65 vs IQ160... comments?  (Read 21195 times)

bcooter

Re: P65 vs IQ160... comments?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:51 am »

snip....... but for a pro it can certainly be worth it........ snip

Torger,

I've seen under your replies, that you have a misconception of the professional photography market.

Yes, we make money with our equipment, either in direct billing or use.  Yes, we need professional equipment.

NO, no clients that I work with in the last 5 or so years cares if I shoot with a Nikon, Canon, Phase, Leaf or Hasselblad.

In fact since our studio's line item every detail on an estimate, the idea of putting down digital dslrs, or digital medium format cameras holds no interest to the client, regardless of level, budget, brand name or genre.

There was a brief moment, back in the days of digital adoption where it mattered, but today, everyone that works, usually works from the bottom line number and up, not the other way around.

So my point, whether I chose to shoot with a 4k RED vs. a 2k Sony, a 31, 40, or 60 mpx back vs. a 36 or even 20 mpx dslr makes absolutely no difference to my clients.  All they want is results and an invoice that reflects the estimate.

But if you want to impress a client, mount an R1 or a big Arri on a support with a large pl mount Angenieux lens.  That will get their attention a lot faster than any still digital camera, because in the client's eyes, digital still cameras usually look the same and right or wrong perform the same also.

IMO

BC

torger

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40:50 am »

It's not so much of what you need, but if you work with something every day and the cost of running your business is $200K a person a year, you can much more easily motivate to pay a large amount of money for nice-to-have features. I e you can see on equipment costs in an entirely different way than a middle class amateur like myself. I see "an iPhone-like screen and some swoosh for several thousands of dollars? You must be kidding!", and a pro can see "my everyday workflow gets simpler and faster, great value!".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:58:09 am by torger »

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 04:57:52 am »

And I'm an artist. My buyers want a print they hang in their living room, and have their friends press their noses up against it to see details. Not sure why... my work is narrative, but that's what it is.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 12:37:02 pm »

And I'm an artist. My buyers want a print they hang in their living room, and have their friends press their noses up against it to see details. Not sure why... my work is narrative, but that's what it is.

http://www.roth-photo.com/

Yoram, some very good work indeed on your website!  ;)

Best regards,
Anders

TMARK

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 12:41:34 pm »

This is true.  I have a print of Fats Domino in my hall.  16"x20", color C-Print from a RZ 6x7 neg.  People press their noses against the glass to examine the detail in Fat's rings.  Its the last thing I look at in the photo, but people love to look at those rings.

ctz

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

http://www.roth-photo.com/

Yoram, some very good work indeed on your website!  ;)

Best regards,
Anders

+1!

Yoram from Berlin

• Yoram Roth Photography
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:23:15 pm »

Thank you all for the kind words.

8)   8)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up