Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitching about repairs  (Read 2292 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Bitching about repairs
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:08:14 am »

Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to have few repairs. In forty years I spent 1500 SEK, about 200$US on repairs. Still I have some reflections.

Whenever I go on travel I try to have a backup. Most importantly, two hard disks for images, two battery chargers and two cameras. Normally I carry a full frame and an APS-C, width a normal zoom for each and a long zoom and an ultrawide I can use with both.

The latest trip I was concerned about the tripod which went into checked luggage. I would switch flights twice and I was concerned about delayed luggage. So I ordered a tripod from RRS to be delivered to a company I was to visit on the trip. I also bought a new 70-400/4.0-5.6 lens to use instead of the old 80-200/2.8 and 400/4.5 I used to carry, in order of saving weight but also because of some sharpness issues at the long end of the 80-200/2.8.

Unfortunately, I had some issues. The legs of the RRS tripod   came pretty loose after just one day of shooting. The evening same day something came loose in the tripod mount of my 80-400. Fortunately I could fix both in the evening, with the tools coming with the tripod and my Leatherman tool. After coming home I realized that RRS applied Locktite improperly to the tripod, there was no Locktite in the screw threads. I bought a small bootle of Locktite and fixed the issue my self.

Anyway, I found out things can go wrong, even if you think you are prepared as well you can be.

I was lucky that I have not lost any images, just some frustration.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:31:10 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Bitching about repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:29 am »

Eric, where does RRS apply Loctite on their tripods? I didn't think they used any, hence the need to tighten up things occasionally.  But certainly not daily. I get about a week of hard use before my leg mounts need tightening.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:26:11 am »

Hi,

See mail from RRS below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik,

Loctite is definitely recommended on the leg joint screws. It was installed during assembly here, but as you can see vibration and repeated use can slowly break that free. I’d recommend taking out one screw – whichever comes out easier, the other should stay in place – and applying 1-2 drops of Loctite 242 (blue, medium strength) inside the female threaded barrel.

The Suregrip™ Apex locking screws should not require Loctite, but you could do the same with those if you like. I would keep the application to 1 drop for those, since the threads are finer.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Jim Weise
_________
Really Right Stuff, LLC
1146 Farmhouse Ln.
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 USA
Toll free from the US and Canada  - 888.777.5557
ReallyRightStuff.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric, where does RRS apply Loctite on their tripods? I didn't think they used any, hence the need to tighten up things occasionally.  But certainly not daily. I get about a week of hard use before my leg mounts need tightening.
Erik Kaffehr

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:00:06 pm »

Thanks Eric...guess I know why I have to tighten mine! Time to get out the blue LocTite!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up