Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate file remover Application/utitlity  (Read 7803 times)

free2australian

Duplicate file remover Application/utitlity
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:17:29 am »

I have a iMac Lion soon to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

I am not very technical and have lot of duplicates on my Hard drive which I need to get rid of.

Please advise what would be best for a novice that show the scans -  easy to read and understand and protects to silly user from  a stupid delete

thank you

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Duplicate file remover Application/utitlity
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »

You're talking about duplicate images, yes? You might look at PhotoSweeper in the Mac App Store. I have no personal experience, but it has mostly good reviews.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:45:13 pm »

There is also a $30 Tidy Up software.

free2australian

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:25:49 pm »

thank you both -   Has anybody had personal experience with any duplicate file removal application - not really looking for duplicate images.  I have so much duplication of files and other things

thanks

Sue

francois

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:34:58 am »

thank you both -   Has anybody had personal experience with any duplicate file removal application - not really looking for duplicate images.  I have so much duplication of files and other things

thanks

Sue

FileBuddy should do the trick!
Francois

free2australian

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:10:00 am »

Hi Francois

Thanks for the info - checked the website - Though it has some good reviews it seems it is not for novices like me as from the info one needs to be technically inclined to understand the technical language and make droplets etc?

Sue

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:58 am »

Hi Francois

Thanks for the info - checked the website - Though it has some good reviews it seems it is not for novices like me as from the info one needs to be technically inclined to understand the technical language and make droplets etc?

Sue

FileBuddy is available as a 10-day trial. You might want to give it a try (no need of droplets) or you might find TidyUp a better choice.

Personally, I use a shell script but I understand that terminal use is beyond your wishes…
Francois

andyptak

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:41:47 pm »

I have a problem like this too. I ended up importing hundreds of files and converting them to DNG in LR. I clicked on the "new photos" rather than the "all" button on the import dialogue and ended up with all anyway. I deliberatley did not choose the don't import suspected dupes option because camera counters can roll over the same file number sometimes.

Now I have up to 5 dupes in some cases with extensions of -1 -2 -3 etc., on the same basic file number.

I'm on Windows 7. Anyone know of a PC based package that might do this? Thanks.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:53:43 am »

I’ve been using a free program called “Duplicate Cleaner” for the last couple of weeks to remove terabytes of duplicate files off of several serves. It works well but will fail if it has to look at more than about a TB of data at a time. The last scan I did, as example, found and removed about 128 GB of duplicates.

IIRC, I found it at http://download.cnet.com/windows/ where there are many other similar programs for both Mac and Windows.

red2

• http://
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »

There is an app called Gemini available on the Mac App store for identifying and removing duplicates. I haven't used it, but it does have some good reviews.
Regards,
Bob D.

francois

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 05:19:50 am »

There is an app called Gemini available on the Mac App store for identifying and removing duplicates. I haven't used it, but it does have some good reviews.

Gemini seems very intuitive. It might be a good tool for non-techincal users. There's even a trial on the developer's website.
Francois

ToniW

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 06:59:05 am »

Hi!  8)
I have already written my recommendation in a similar topic.
Try to instal this one https://www.cleverfiles.com/duplicate-file-finder-remover.html. Great free duplicate finder, no need to pay for this kind of software  ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up