Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Camera Raw Cache  (Read 5409 times)

dmerger

LR Camera Raw Cache
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »

In my LR preferences I set my Camera Raw Cache to a drive that I also use for PS scratch disk.  Nothing else is on that drive.  However, when I open that drive, it’s empty.  Why?

Vista 64 bit system.
Dean Erger

eliedinur

Re: LR Camera Raw Cache
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:01 pm »

You have to create a folder yourself on that drive using Explorer and then select the folder in Preferences.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

dmerger

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »

I did as you instructed, imported a couple more photos, opened and closed LR, and still nothing in the new cache.

I checked the disk by opening PS, and it loads its scratch disk info onto the disk.  So, the disk appears to be working fine. 
Dean Erger

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:05:22 am »

Lightroom, edit, preferences - under Raw Cache - what does it say you are set to exactly?

eliedinur

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:26:26 am »

I did as you instructed, imported a couple more photos, opened and closed LR, and still nothing in the new cache.

I checked the disk by opening PS, and it loads its scratch disk info onto the disk.  So, the disk appears to be working fine. 
You don't say what you did after opening LR; did you go into Develop and do some editing? The ACR Cache is where preview data for the Develop module is stored, which is separate and different from Library previews, so unless you have taken an image into Develop, nothing will be written to the cache.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

dmerger

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:00:22 pm »

I imported and then developed a couple of photos. 

Under LR, Edit, Preferences, Camera Raw Cache Settings it says "Location: E:\LR Camera Raw Cache". 

Maximum size 100 GB.
Dean Erger

stamper

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:56:43 am »

The size of the cache is probably subjective but from what I have read then about 10-20 GB is sufficient and not anything near 100 GB. I would do a Google search to find out more on the subject.

eliedinur

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:48:12 am »

If it is not writing Develop previews to the location designated in Preferences, I would expect that it is creating them somewhere else. The question is where. The default location is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe\CameraRaw\"; I wonder if it is writing there despite the Preferences entry.

Another possibility occurs to me: Are you converting to the new DNGs with fast load previews incorporated in them. In that case there would be no need for cached previews so LR may not bother creating them.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

dmerger

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

The size of the cache is probably subjective but from what I have read then about 10-20 GB is sufficient and not anything near 100 GB. I would do a Google search to find out more on the subject.

You're correct, but I have a whole empty hard drive, so I can easily spare 100 GB.  I'll cut back if I ever need more room.

If it is not writing Develop previews to the location designated in Preferences, I would expect that it is creating them somewhere else. The question is where. The default location is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe\CameraRaw\"; I wonder if it is writing there despite the Preferences entry.

Another possibility occurs to me: Are you converting to the new DNGs with fast load previews incorporated in them. In that case there would be no need for cached previews so LR may not bother creating them.

I do have 12.8 MB in four folders in the default location.  I cleared the cache yesterday, but didn't check to see if that imediately decreased the default cache size.

My file are all tiffs from film scans, with a few jpegs from a p&s camera. No DNGs.
Dean Erger

Sheldon N

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:19 pm »

My file are all tiffs from film scans, with a few jpegs from a p&s camera. No DNGs.

That's probably the reason that you don't have anything in your ACR Cache. I believe that what the ACR Cache stores is some of the base level demosaicing data from RAW files. This is for speeding up the develop module, which needs to read data from the RAW file, demosaic it and render the image each time. This is different than rendering 1:1 previews, those are used in the Loupe view but not in the Develop module.

If you don't have any RAW files, there's nothing to store in the ACR cache
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

dmerger

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 12:40:06 pm »

Thanks, Sheldon. I should have mentioned in my initial post that I don't work with RAW images.  It didn't occur to me that my file types would be an important consideration for my cache question.  Sorry for the oversight.
Dean Erger

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

Exactly what I'm not seeing after converting to the new option. I'm thrilled to no longer have an ACR cache to deal with.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jljonathan

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 10:08:44 pm »

Is there a way you process the dng files that are already in the Lightroom catalog from older imports before 4.2 to update them to fast load dngs?

kaelaria

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:45:30 pm »

You just run it again as if it were a raw file.  It will just add the option(s) you change.

jljonathan

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:53 am »

You just run it again as if it were a raw file.  It will just add the option(s) you change.

Could you be a little more specific. Run what again, and how?

kaelaria

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:44:53 am »

Select the DNGs in library, then Library>Convert Photo to DNG

Pages: [1]   Go Up