Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New iMac: 75% Less Reflective!  (Read 2872 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
New iMac: 75% Less Reflective!
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:22 pm »

Also:

"... every iMac display is individually color-calibrated using state-of-the-art spectroradiometers..."

They are incredibly thin as well. More here.

BJL

New iMac: 75% Less Reflective, up to 32GB RAM, SSD/HDD hybrid drive
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:06 am »

Also:

"... every iMac display is individually color-calibrated using state-of-the-art spectroradiometers..."

They are incredibly thin as well. More here.
Another spec bump of interest to photographers is that 27" iMacs can now have up to 32GB of RAM: as much as the dual processor Mac Pros, still not up to the 64GB maximum of quad-core Pros.

Also, the "Fusion Drive" combination of 128GB SSD with 1TB or 3TB HDD, with the OS automatically moving most often used software to the SSD for faster operation, is intriguing. Swapping Aperture to the SSD while relegating iPhoto to HDD was the example mentioned.

Is it time for another round of photographers with Mac Pros choosing between
- an iMac
- waiting for the promised 2013 update of the Mac Pro
- changing to Windows (or Linux?!)

P. S. The thinness is more a visual than a practical change, allowed by eliminating the internal optical drive: it is mostly a thinner edge but still almost as thick in the middle of the body, and as "deep" on the desk.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:02:38 am by BJL »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: New iMac: 75% Less Reflective!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:59:34 am »

Yes, that loss of an internal optical drive is a pain in the arse. I'd planned on upgrading to a new Mac, hadn't thought I'd need to get a new external CD/DVD drive too.

Fusion drive sounds intriguing, but what happens if the SSD element goes belly-up? Would we need to switch out the HDD too? I think I'd be happier with two seperate drives.

New screen looks promising though.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: New iMac: 75% Less Reflective!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Fusion drive sounds intriguing, but what happens if the SSD element goes belly-up? Would we need to switch out the HDD too? I think I'd be happier with two seperate drives.

They are two separate drives, it's just that the OS is making it look like one to the user. I have no idea how difficult it would be to recover from one of the two drives failing, probably easiest to start over from your backup.

I've been running my machine off separate boot and user drives recently, and it turned out to be kind of a PITA when I decided to consolidate back to a single drive.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up