Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink marks on back of roll  (Read 1506 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Ink marks on back of roll
« on: October 26, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »

I'm printing a bunch of 8x10s on 10" roll paper for a client using an Epson 4900.  On the back of the prints I'm getting some ink, about 3/8" from each edge.  Looks like it's coming from the borderless printing collection pads. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Mike Guilbault

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Ink marks on back of roll
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

I'm printing a bunch of 8x10s on 10" roll paper for a client using an Epson 4900.  On the back of the prints I'm getting some ink, about 3/8" from each edge.  Looks like it's coming from the borderless printing collection pads. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Three thoughts.

First, I'm betting this isn't it, but are you sure there isn't ink on the platen rather than the pads?  When ink gets on there, it takes forever to get it all off... Been there a few times.

Second, if you run a bunch of roll paper (hopefully cheap, like bond/plotter paper cheap) back and forth, that should help soak up all the ink that's "loose."  You can get really cheap thin paper on eBay, like 20lb bond through a buy it now for 24" x 150' for $22 shipped.

Third, I previously made a note of a place that sells part "1467289", for the 9900, named "POROUS PAD,PLATEN" for 4.03 Euros.  I assumed that was for these collection pads.  I just looked and they ave 4900 parts too.  They have POROUS PAD,PAPER GUIDE,FRONT, -- RIGHT, RIGHT,C, LEFT, LEFT,B, RIGHT,B for similar prices at http://www.gedat-spareparts.com/epson/Inkjet_Printers/STYLUS_PRO_4900/list -- not positive this is the correct piece, but it seems to be.  It's quite possible there's a US supplier for these as well, I just never looked enough.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:30:23 pm by darlingm »
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:22:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's the collection pads.  I print lots of 8x10 on rolls and the pads look drenched.  Next time I'm back in the studio I'll look at the platen to be sure though.  Do you know if the pads are difficult to change or is this something that Epson service needs to do?
Mike Guilbault

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:36:02 am »

No idea on what's involved to change the pads.  The service manual only says you should "check the borderless pads, and replace if necessary."  That helps!  I guess it does indicate this is occasionally needed to be done, and if there isn't a detailed process in there of how to do it, hopefully it isn't that bad.  If you wind up going this route, just out of curiosity, I'd love to hear how it goes.  I've never printed borderless out of fear that they would get clogged, not knowing exactly what happened then.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:38:08 am by darlingm »
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:57:30 am »

Guess I'll look into more from my end. Appreciate the info!  I assume you can order these direct from Epson.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:59:17 am by Mike Guilbault »
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up