Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Question Time: Canon ipf8300  (Read 5106 times)

tonywong

Dumb Question Time: Canon ipf8300
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »

I guess this sounds like a joke, but how many people does it take to move the ipf8300?

My Z3100 44" took 2 of us, but the Canon seems even larger. Did I shrink or will it take more than 2 to move it down a flight of stairs?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Dumb Question Time: Canon ipf8300
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

Not only is this a joke, but for serious people it may even be considered a distraction. Now my joke: can you post your most recent weight-lifting stats?

Back to serious: consult the machine specification list. Most likely it will say what the machine weighs. Then make a judgement about how many pounds per person it is reasonable to expect amongst the people who would help you do this. End of story. BTW - would you like some instruction on how to boil eggs? I can provide that too!  :-)

Serious though: BE CAREFUL. It is so easy to put your back out doing this kind of stuff. Better more people than too few.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:08:04 pm »

I once helped to move my customer's new Epson 9900 (44") up a fairly wide, carpeted stair that had a right turn landing half way up. We had three strong guys and it was NOT easy. If I were you, I'd have two people on the lower end and one on the top end, since most of the weight will be on the down side. The lack of room in a stairway compounds the problem and makes it difficult for four hands to find a place to hold the printer.
Randy Carone

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »

Well, my Epson 4900 weights 115 lbs. (says so in the manual) and it took my son and I to bring it up two flights of stairs and around a landing. The problem really wasn't so much the weight, but the bulk and the distribution of the weight. Those can be the real killers. Another suggestion for a big machine like the OP intends to move: movers' appliance straps can be VERY helpful. One can buy them at those shops that sell moving accessories and they multiply the amount of weight that any two people can handle safely.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

I can't imagine asking anyone (or plural anyones) who isn't a professional mover to handle something that heavy on a flight of stairs.  The risk to the individual(s) is just too great.  Two professional movers can lift this thing onto its stand, and maybe even two who aren't pros.  But that is a whole different matter from handling a hugely heavy monster on a stepped incline in a narrow space. --Barbara

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

I would agree with adding an extra person or 2 to move the printer through stairways.  We sell this printer and purchased one for our own office.  We are on a main level office and took each part of the shipment (printer, stand, etc) through 2 main size doors while the parts were still in the box.  The printer is about 480 lbs (whole shipment with stand and accessories).  As long as you don't put the inks in it during the move, you can tilt it on it's end and should be fine.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding the printer.
sales@atlex.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

Wasn't there a thread about ink spill nightmares from tipping a primed 8300?  Thought I'd mention it.

tonywong

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:10 am »

Thanks! I was looking for anyone who had specific experience with the 8300 since the spec sheet of the packaged unit was so high. I was hoping to be able to see what people did to move the main unit without all the fixings on it and how heavy/difficult it was to do it.

After it is downstairs and primed it may not be moveable back up without sloshing some ink around? Maybe the waste ink needs to be drained before tilting it at extreme angles?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:06:04 am »

Waste ink tank keeps the ink in a sponge, but there's a lot of ink in sub tank system (that's providing ink cart hot swapping while printing). Ink for thermal print head must be conductive, so it's better to prevent pouring it out to logic boards of the printer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:04:59 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:23 am »

My wife and I unboxed it together, lifted up and put it on the stand. It is heavy but not too bad. However, going up or down the stairs might take another person or two, because it will get awkward. Do not tilt the unit if you have primed the unit already. There is setting for move which drains a lot of the ink out (i.e. waste money).

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:52:11 am »

At least three, preferably four people. The machine is heavy but also fragile and will damage relatively easily. I took one new 8300 upstairs recently and managed to scratch the sides, even though there were four of us.

Lifting it up to put on the stand is not that difficult as it just requires instantaneous force. Also someone compared it with their experience moving a 4900! Now that is a joke :) (no offense)

tonywong

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »

Thanks for the detailed info. Maybe I'll move the HP 44" to the basement instead and put the Canon on the main floor instead...less moving needed for the heaviest object but the HP is full of ink...decisions decisions... :-P

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:46 am »

The 8300 is a beast, and I wouldn't consider moving it upstairs with fewer than 4 people. It is the biggest and heaviest 44" printer on the market. My Z3200 44" is a tiny guy compared to the 8300, and the Z3200 can easily be moved by only 2 people. The 8300 is a whole different enchilada, though. Good luck.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »

if you're moving the 8300 up and down stairs hire piano movers to do it for you. It's very heavy. They have special boards that they use to move upright pianos that fit perfectly under the 8300's feet and they are experienced navigating large, heavy, awkward objects around stairs.

This is how I got my 8300 to the second floor studio I'm in. Worth every penny of the $350ish I paid them.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 05:53:27 pm »

if you're moving the 8300 up and down stairs hire piano movers to do it for you. It's very heavy. They have special boards that they use to move upright pianos that fit perfectly under the 8300's feet and they are experienced navigating large, heavy, awkward objects around stairs.

This is how I got my 8300 to the second floor studio I'm in. Worth every penny of the $350ish I paid them.

Neil

Yup - a lot cheaper than doctor and hospital bills, not to speak of the trauma that could occur. Three of us did manage a very bulky, awkward 350lb. TV set with horribly front-tilted weight distribution using movers' straps, but it isn't something we would care to do again. Hiring movers is best.

deanwork

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 08:49:03 pm »

The answer is 4, minimum. We moved mine  with 3 people  just about 15 feet from the garage into my studio, up just three short stars and it nearly killed us. I would never attempt that again. We're lucky we didn't get seriously hurt.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:35 pm »

A friend and I moved an 8300 from the pallet in my garage into the house by standing it up on a dolly. We didn't have to manage any stairs though, just a couple of tight corners where the thing barely fit through (for the last bit we took it off the dolly and scooted along the carpet standing up on its end).

Stairs would definitely complicate things, although depending on step size and wheel size (on the dolly) it might be doable if you take it slowly and carefully.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 12:29:34 am »

Really, my son and I carried it up 2 flights of stairs in one shot at 7000 ft.  No pain no gain.  Its heavy but the weights only twice what my backpack weighs.

Its not that bad.  The worst part is when my son tripped and fell and it landed on his leg while I had to keep the weight on my side.  But he managed to grab it keep going.  But we did 2 of them in row.  Eat your Wheaties and drink a gatorade oh and take a Methyl Vit B 12.  Works for me.  T

All Thumbs

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 03:01:43 am »

I vote for 3 friends or 1 enemy.  Really, someone could get hurt carrying this thing down stairs with one person on each end.  I'm sure most people are more talented and younger than I am but I won't question your manhood if you take the easy route.  Good luck. 

Miles

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:27 pm »

Having recently moved one, I recommend 4 people.  It is quite a bit heavier and larger than a Z3100, which can be handled by 2 easy enough (been there, done that).  Also note that the stand on the 8300 will not roll through a standard 29" interior house door with the printer on it like a Z3100.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up