Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper recommendation - Art reproduction - Not matte  (Read 9574 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Paper recommendation - Art reproduction - Not matte
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:25:28 am »

When a customer wants artwork reproduced on paper, I traditionally use Breathing Color Pura Smooth or Velvet, which are matte papers.

However, I have a few customers who have glossy originals, and lots of dark but extremely saturated colors.  (For example, LAB 23/55/28 aka ProPhoto 73R 21G 17B)  These colors reproduce well enough on Breathing Color Crystalline (gloss canvas) with a semi-gloss coating, and even better on Black Diamond Gloss, but are of course way out of gamut for matte papers, so reproduce much less saturated.

I haven't had any artist like the look of their print on RC gloss paper.  Is there something else I should be looking at, for fine art reproduction with a tiny bit of gloss to provide a much wider color gamut - especially in those dark very saturated colors?
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

hugowolf

Re: Paper recommendation - Art reproduction - Not matte
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:19 pm »

I would consider Museo Silver Rag or Canson Platine Rag, if you want a cotton based paper with some sheen. Both use Photo Black ink. Alternatives with an alpha cellulose base would possibly be Canson Baryta Photographique of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. For a full but soft gloss, Harman Gloss Baryta 320 is near unique.

On what sort of surface are the originals?

Brian A
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:10:56 am by hugowolf »

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »

The way out of gamut paintings are typically oils on canvas, and are often glazed.

I haven't tried any of the papers you mentioned.  Do you know if any of those are similar to Breathing Color's Vibrance Rag (Baryta photo gloss) - which I have tried?  Sounds like some of them may be similar.  I haven't tried putting a Vibrance Rag print in front of these artists, figuring they wouldn't think of it much different than RC gloss paper, but perhaps I should give that one a shot.  I'll take a look into all the papers you mentioned - thank you very much!
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

hugowolf

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:54 pm »

The way out of gamut paintings are typically oils on canvas, and are often glazed.

I haven't tried any of the papers you mentioned.  Do you know if any of those are similar to Breathing Color's Vibrance Rag (Baryta photo gloss) - which I have tried?  Sounds like some of them may be similar.  
I haven’t tried Breathing Color Vibrance Rag or their Pura papers. It has been a couple of years since I got samples from Breathing Color and at that time all of their pigment ink compatible papers were too full of OBAs for most of what I print. I have used Elegance Velvet and Optica One on a few occasions.
I haven't tried putting a Vibrance Rag print in front of these artists, figuring they wouldn't think of it much different than RC gloss paper, but perhaps I should give that one a shot.  I'll take a look into all the papers you mentioned - thank you very much!
Certainly Museo Silver Rag has a different feel and look than RC papers, and to some extent Canson Platine Rag and Epson Exhibition Fibre (which is sold in Europe as Epson Traditional Photo Paper, but unlike the other two is not cotton based).
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/exhibition-fiber.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_paper_that_almost_got_away.shtml

Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and Canson Baryta Photographique are almost identical – the backing paper is different and seems to cause a slight difference in the surface.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/tale.shtml

Harman Gloss Baryta (formerly Harman Gloss FB Al) has a unique surface, that could best be described as perhaps a dull or soft gloss, but it is definitely gloss not satin/pearl/lustre/semi-matte.

Brian A

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:44:30 am »

I haven't tried any of the papers you mentioned.  Do you know if any of those are similar to Breathing Color's Vibrance Rag (Baryta photo gloss) - which I have tried?  Sounds like some of them may be similar.  I haven't tried putting a Vibrance Rag print in front of these artists, figuring they wouldn't think of it much different than RC gloss paper, but perhaps I should give that one a shot.  I'll take a look into all the papers you mentioned - thank you very much!

Vibrance Rag does not have a true clone as far as I can judge. PIctorico GKR is close though but a lower weight, texture is more pronounced in GKR. HM Photorag Satin is less close on the white, is smoother and more matte. The paper whiteness is almost like IGFS, Canson Rag Photpgraphique Innova IFA69,  but the rag base contains a bit more OBA.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
400+ inkjet paper white spectral plots, October 2012:
Extended: Ilford-Innova-Hahnemühle-Pictorico,
NEW added: Tetenal-Mitsubishi, NEW halfway: Kodak-Bonjet,
NEW to do: Permajet-FelixSchoeller-Sihl
Would like to get samples: InkPress-JonCone

TSJ1927

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:00:09 am »

May want to try Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin 310gsm .  This paper has unique properties.
Pages: [1]   Go Up