Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know  (Read 70381 times)

ctz

Re: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:57 am »

The best way to get quick answers to this sort of questions is via a support case

Cheers yair

In the mean time, forum.phaseone.com is/was a good way to understand what might other users encounter.
Too bad that now is unavailable the (link redirects to main www.phaseone.com page).
From Phase One, this is not the most elegant way to deal with the pile of complaints about the new version reliability.
Personally I upgraded to CO7 first day after release and I didn't run in too much troubles, but there are a lot of people very pissed off, encountering crashes after crashes and so on.
About support cases, I would not put my hopes on them though. Still there are a lot of quirks that I've wrote about in support cases AND on Phase forum, simple things like keeping the same bloody preferences for file numbering and not needing to enable that damn same processing receipt over and over again, for every session.
These were not fixed from CO5 to CO7, after three(?) years. How busy those programmers might be? Or maybe they need new client service people, to deal with... the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2012, 06:11:35 am »

ctz,

This weekend the IT department is working on some maintenance which means that some of the pages including the forum are temporarily unavailable.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2012, 07:37:31 am »

About support cases, I would not put my hopes on them though. Still there are a lot of quirks that I've wrote about in support cases AND on Phase forum, simple things like keeping the same bloody preferences for file numbering and not needing to enable that damn same processing receipt over and over again, for every session.
These were not fixed from CO5 to CO7, after three(?) years.

I never understood the personal way in which people take their software-improvement requests. Perhaps you can help me understand.

Just track through this forum and the phase one forum and compile a list of ALL the requests from v4 that were made more than once and I think you'll see how much of v5/v6/v7s improvements were derived from user requests.

I sit in an interesting position. I am not Phase One, but I do have their ear and I also have a light background in programming. I am not a customer, but I do have their ear and work with them on a day to day basis. So a few times a year I compile together all the requests that I hear on a frequent basis and take those to the dev team (same as you do by starting a support case). Literally three fourths of my requests have been addressed; sometimes directly (they took the path I* requested) and sometimes indirectly (taking some other path to the underlying problem).

So while I agree with both of those requests (both fit into a category I'd call "Greater control of default settings in a new session") the fact that they have not been implemented does not mean that the dev team isn't reading and using support cases to guide C1 development. There are literally thousands of different requests and I know it's frustrating when one or two that are important to you aren't implemented but to then suggest that others not use support cases to log their feature requests is very counter productive and borderline mean.

As one prominent example I can tell you for sure that the number of requests for dSLR live-view was the tipping point for implementing it in v7. This feature requires a lot more time to implement, troubleshoot, test, and maintain (update for new cameras) than you'd think. Adobe, with it's much larger team, hasn't taken it on. But the number of users that started support cases requesting it convinced the dev team that it should be undertaken.

And, as a side note to help alleviate some of your annoyance, there is a very easy workaround for both of the problems you suggest. Simply start a "template" session (i.e. a normal session that you don't plan on shooting into, but are only creating to use as a template in the future), and establish all your defaults (file naming, process recipe selection, etc etc) and in the future instead of starting a new session simply go to the finder and duplicate the template session and rename the duplicate. Is it as elegant? Perhaps not (and again I agree with your feature request for great control of session defaults), but it takes literally seconds, and if you have any programming skills you can write a few-line script that does it for you with whatever name you enter into the script prompt. These are the sort of techniques we teach in our Capture One Training courses.

The fact is Phase One's dev team is quite demonstrably more accessible and responsive than the "big boys" (Apple/Adobe). When you submit a support case with a feature request you are 1-2 people away from the guy who actually types in new code. It's a focused product with a smaller target market than Adobe/Apple pursue with their broader prosumer approaches. They've consistently shown they guide the product development based largely on customer feedback; the fact that two of your requests have not been implemented doesn't change that.

*I'm not making a self-involved claim here. In all likelihood I was NOT the first to suggest a particular path, nor the last, and the path was probably already discussed by the programmers before anyone brought it up since the dev team eats/breaths this stuff. Still, there is a sense of satisfaction/pride that comes when a feature you requested is implemented, especially if it closely matches your specific suggestions. It's not necessarily logical, but it is understandable. So perhaps, by understanding that pride I can understand a bit of the malice that comes when your suggestions aren't (yet) implemented.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2012, 07:40:21 am »

I use Mac OSX 10.6.8, Image Capture 6.0.1.: as far as I see there is no preferences menu where I could choose the opening program. And why C1 has this default? Why I can't choose this option in C1?

This is a system preference, not a Capture One preference.

You don't see the option in Image Capture probably because when you looked the camera (or device) in question was not plugged in. Plug in the camera/device and then launch Image Capture and you will see the option to change what program to launch as a consequence of plugging it in.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2012, 07:41:31 am »

Just try the DB version for P45+.
Developing in superfast 19-20 files/min. @100% tiff. :D

You must have a good graphics card.

In v7 the graphics card (Open CL) is used for both rendering the previews and the final files.

When using a hefty graphics card this makes processing TIFFs MUCH faster than in other software (including previous versions of Capture One).

Doug Peterson

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2012, 07:49:59 am »

Doug, I think quite fittingly you need to add a thirteenth thing to your list........ it crashes A LOT!!

No need for a 13th item... See #8:  "It's a First Release; Treat it Accordingly".

As with most X.0 releases the issues are almost all system-config specific. On many systems I've found it to be very very stable. Luckily for me on my personal 10.8.2 Intel Core 2 Duo laptop it's very stable. On other systems the stability is bad. This later case is rare but of course that does not help the person with such a system.

When Capture One crashes use the "send report" button and if you're not super busy enter a bit of information about what was going on at the time to make sure Phase gets a copy of the information and/or start a support case (but "send report" in the very least if at all possible). Phase can only fix a bug if they know about it; most bugs will come up in their testing department, but it's impossible to have every single configuration of OS, hardware, and workflow (just check out Dell's website to see how many configurations of computers this one manufacturer makes, and then multiply that by the number of cameras supported).

And of course, don't use X.0 software (from anyone: Phase, Adobe, Apple) in a no-room-for-error production environment*. And don't use any software (or equipment, or technique, or workflow) in a no-room-for-error production environment without testing it thoroughly in-situ in advance.

If you prefer to only work with fully mature versions of software then don't work with any new major releases until they've been out for several months. This may or may not be fair to the user, and you'll never hear a manufacturer say it, and you may or may like it. But it's the case with every piece of software I use. Also,  it doesn't really matter how long the program itself has been in development (i.e. how many major releases there have been in the past); a first version of a major new release is always going to have a few bugs. As an obvious example: 10.8 is the 9th major release of OSX, but 10.8.0 had a lot of bugs. iOS 5 is the fifth major release of iOS but 5.0.0 had many bugs (not to mention that whole Maps issue).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:11:25 am by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:04 am »

ACR did not crash never ever... just a note.

Glad to hear for you it's never crashed. But, yes ACR can crash as well. I can say this as both a user and the guy who people call when their !@#% stops working :-). The worst, as you'd expect, were the two releases immediately following major engine upgrades.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2012, 07:55:40 am »

If you lower image preview size considerably, the CPU utilization rate drops significantly as well. As to H4D files,  can't do anything with them in my demo versions of both 6 and 7.  I can't even import them to a catalog in 7. I asked here before what those differences are between the retail version and 60-day demo version. The answer that I received here is none.

Correct: retail and trial version are identical. Only difference is the trial window that pops up when you launch reminding you how long you have left in the trial. It is otherwise 100% functional and does not do anything like watermark your images.

Please see release notes (within the program or downloadable separately) for a list of supported cameras. H4D is not on the list.

ctz

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2012, 09:29:40 am »

... Is it as elegant? Perhaps not

NO. Of course is not elegant. I've doing this all the time.
Anyway, Doug, I really appreciate your input to this forum. I really mean it.
Thanks for your response and I'll be back on your reply when I'll have more time.

Gulag

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

If you install C1, any device (like CF Card, iPhone aso.) connected by USB to the MacBook will start automatically C1. I did not find a way to switch off this annoying function. (Should be in preferences but isn't.)

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

FredBGG

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

So Capture One 7 can tether a D800 without having to buy the Nikon software?
I think I have version C1Pro V4... would that enable the $99 upgrade price?

Thank you.

Yes and yes.

Moreover there are many features that will make tethering faster and more useful. Like overlay, focus mask, Capture Pilot, loupe, additional focus windows, Profoto Studio plugin etc.

If it were remotely stable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:52:37 pm by FredBGG »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:25 pm »

If it were remotely stable.

Fred: please stop.

I have gone through great pains in this thread (from literally the first post) to inform potential users about potential stability issues in 7.0. There are numerous other posts in this thread to the same effect. There is a 60 day trial to allow easy evaluation for oneself.

You are not educating. You are not protecting users. You simply finding any place to insert a negative comment about anything Phase One does. You are simply trolling. Please take your vendetta elsewhere; this is a place to share and learn together.

FredBGG

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »

Fred: please stop.

I have gone through great pains in this thread (from literally the first post) to inform potential users about potential stability issues in 7.0. There are numerous other posts in this thread to the same effect. There is a 60 day trial to allow easy evaluation for oneself.

So if there are numerous posts... what's wrong with mine. I downloaded the software and tested it. You claim it has faster tethering. It does not.
Images download from the camera at about the same speed.
As far as stability goes as far as D800 tethering it is far from ready for use. Capture pilot and overlay would be very nice if it worked.

FredBGG

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »

So Capture One 7 can tether a D800 without having to buy the Nikon software?
I think I have version C1Pro V4... would that enable the $99 upgrade price?

Thank you.

It is very unstable... pretty much unusable for now.

In the mean time if you are looking for an option that works now you should look at ControlMyNikon.
While it does not have Capture Pilot it has a slew of very useful functions such as automated focus stacking, voice control, electronic sensor triggering. Not a replacement for Capture One, but a very good application.
It is inexpensive and you would not need to buy the Nikon software. It's $29 and you can download the demo.
Even if you upgrade to Capture One when it is stable enough it control my nikon would be a handy app to have.
There are also other 3rd party Nikon control apps.

Good overview of tether sofware for your d800 here:

http://www.tethertools.com/plugging-in/software/
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:40:55 pm by FredBGG »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »

Just a guess, but stability issues like Fred is complaining about may be related to running both v6 and v7 on the same restart instance.   I had some odd issues, but they went away when I restarted and only ran V7.  (I'm using a Mac).

Doug, can you tell me a bit more about the new structure tool?   I like it, and it seems like the detail slider in LR4 in terms of bringing up fine details.  I seem to be able to substitute some structure for sharpening but obviously they are not the same thing.  Just curious what its doing exactly.
Thanks,
Eric

Rolleiflex USA

FredBGG

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »

Just a guess, but stability issues like Fred is complaining about may be related to running both v6 and v7 on the same restart instance.   I had some odd issues, but they went away when I restarted and only ran V7.  (I'm using a Mac).
Thanks,
Eric

IS this tethering the D800?

In my case. I installed on two partitions. Both with Windows 7. One with V6 on it as well and one without.

alain

« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »

You must have a good graphics card.

In v7 the graphics card (Open CL) is used for both rendering the previews and the final files.

When using a hefty graphics card this makes processing TIFFs MUCH faster than in other software (including previous versions of Capture One).
Hi Doug

Several people have written that on windows 7 with a fast CPU i5/i7 there's no speed-up noticeable when "using" C1, zomming to 100%, then moving around etc.
Is there a minimum Graphic card needed before it really gives a difference?
Also openCL is not used with local adjustments (whch are clearly improved in 7.0).

What are the things you suggest to speed up "using" C1, I'm don't need to improve the "processing" step.

I'm using a mildly over clocked i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, SSD.

BTW. C1 7.0 is stable for me and the improvements are significant.  

Alain

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2012, 05:00:12 pm »

Hi Doug,

I’m with Fred on this one have tried a few times to get C7 to work with my Nikon D800E but after about half a dozen frames I get the spinning wheel of death on my Mac which then I have to force quit.

I’m just hoping that Control my Nikon is as good as they say but I will have to wait till January when it comes out in Mac.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

Hi Doug

Several people have written that on windows 7 with a fast CPU i5/i7 there's no speed-up noticeable when "using" C1, zomming to 100%, then moving around etc.
Is there a minimum Graphic card needed before it really gives a difference?
Also openCL is not used with local adjustments (whch are clearly improved in 7.0).

What are the things you suggest to speed up "using" C1, I'm don't need to improve the "processing" step.

I'm using a mildly over clocked i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, SSD.

BTW. C1 7.0 is stable for me and the improvements are significant.  

Alain

I haven tested the 100% zooming but on my machine i got a 100% performance increase on the same setup during exporting.

I got a i5/16gb ssd with hd radeod 6870

alain

« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »

I haven tested the 100% zooming but on my machine i got a 100% performance increase on the same setup during exporting.

I got a i5/16gb ssd with hd radeod 6870
I have read about the speed-up while processing or exporting, but for me this is not important (rather low volume and no time pressure).

For me the "speed" while working on it is a lot more important.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up