Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know  (Read 70357 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:55 am »

1 - Image Quality is Even Better
Highlight/shadow recovery, sharpness/detail, and noise reduction are are *majorly* improved. This is the largest improvement in one software generation I've ever seen.  

2 - Full Cataloging, Now Available
Many of the features and power of Media Pro / iView Pro have now been incorporated into Capture One. You can store images inside or outside the catalog, and if an image isn't available (e.g. on a hard drive not plugged in) you can still view, zoom, and adjust the image.

3 - dSLR Workflow is More Tightly Integrated
Live View, additional camera controls, and lens corrections for many dSLR systems.

4 - Tech Camera Workflow Has Been Greatly Improved
If you're a tech camera shooter then the the time you have to spend at the computer to analyze and apply a few dozen LCCs will drop from half an hour to around a minute.

5 - Local Adjustments Are Faster and Better
Graduated filters, opacity control, faster drawing, a time saving "fill" feature and other improvements.

6 - Capture Pilot Now Also Works From Any Web Browser
The live review and control feature app previously limited to use with an iPad, has been opened up to any web browser, local or remote.

7 - A Bunch of Nice "Small Touches" Were Added
Manual sorting, # of images per folder label, the ability to flip/mirror the image, defaults settable for any given camera, and more

8 - It's a First Release; Treat it Accordingly
A first release, from any company (Apple, Adobe, Phase etc), should be treated with caution. If you have a high pressure shoot tomorrow in front of an important client then don't blindly jump ship to version 7. There will be bugs/crashes.

9 - The Catalog Feature is Optional; Sessions are Still Welcome
If you use and love "sessions" in v6 you can continue using sessions in v7.

10 - The Retail Price is $299, or $99 as an Upgrade.
Submit your email address on our Capture One 7 page and we'll email you a promo code to purchase or upgrade for less.

11 - If You've Purchased v6 Since Photokina then v7 is Free
Phase One will be sending you an email in the next week to that effect

12 - Many of the Speed Improvements Are Not Manifest in 10.8, Yet
At the moment OpenCL is not supported under 10.8.x. This should change in the near future.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:10:45 am by Doug Peterson »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Capture One 7: the 12 Things You Need to Know
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:11:51 am »

Thanks for the update, sounds good.

Any idea whether performance when accessing NAS is improved compared to C1 Pro 6?

Cheers,
Bernard

Doug Peterson

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:22:45 am »

Any idea whether performance when accessing NAS is improved compared to C1 Pro 6?

The catalog can be accessed across a network. It can be "locked" such that multiple users can access it (but not change) at the same time. It can be left "unlocked" such that only one user can access (and also change) at a time (other users will get a message that the catalog is already open by user xyz).

I believe they also worked a lot on the speed of access across a network protocol. But this is not an area I've personally tested much in the betas. I'd be eager to hear from you on this!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:28:28 am »

I believe they also worked a lot on the speed of access across a network protocol. But this is not an area I've personally tested much in the betas. I'd be eager to hear from you on this!

I will sure let you know as soon as I find time to buy the upgrade, which could be as early as tonight. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:31:04 am »

Catalog can be used referenced - i.e the images remain on the server and the cache and settings are local, making server work more realistic.

As always you are welcome to make a support case if you have feedback or problems.

Enjoy,
Everyone at Phase One Support 
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:32:00 am »

I will sure let you know as soon as I find time to buy the upgrade, which could be as early as tonight. :-)

Hope you'll use our Capture One 7 page to get the promo code.

Here are some illustrations of the image quality improvements. Of course the most relevant test is to download the trial and play with your own files, but for those who want the "at a glance" summary...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:36:58 am by Doug Peterson »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:10 am »

Just did, thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:55:02 am »

Looks good. Looking forward to trying it.

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:25 am »

Great news about server workflow ... quick question .. should the "Session" be saved on your local computer or can you save it on the server  - - to take advantage of new setup for local settings (realise may be confusing session with catalogue)

R

Catalog can be used referenced - i.e the images remain on the server and the cache and settings are local, making server work more realistic.

As always you are welcome to make a support case if you have feedback or problems.

Enjoy,
Everyone at Phase One Support 

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:22:54 am »

Great news about server workflow ... quick question .. should the "Session" be saved on your local computer or can you save it on the server  - - to take advantage of new setup for local settings (realise may be confusing session with catalogue)

Note that "session" is one of two ways of working in Capture One 7. You can now work using "sessions" or "catalogs"

If you're in a single-user setup it makes the most sense to keep your catalog local. The images, especially images in your archive (e.g. older projects/jobs/trips) can be on a server or external hard drive. If the server isn't available or if you unplug the hard drive with a particular image that image is now "offline" but because your catalog is local you can still make most adjustments (e.g. exposure, contrast, saturation) do organization like making albums (i.e. collections of images), add metadata, and also zoom into the image as far as the preview size (default 2560 pixels) will take you.

This means you can take a 100k image collection with the images referenced on a e.g. 8TB raid with you on a MacBookAir - without having to take the 4TB raid.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:46:28 am »

O, #13 of things you need to know... if you open an image in v7 which was edited in v6 the look will not change (which is great IMO - I don't want my images changing without my approval). Under the "Base Characteristics" tool you can select to change the processing engine behind used to the v7 engine. That will allow you to access the improved image quality.

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:01:46 am »

Doug,

I upgraded from C1 Pro 5 to 6 over the summer. Will V7 still be a paid upgrade?  Not bitching, just want to know.

V7 looks great!

T

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:03 am »

Doug,

I upgraded from C1 Pro 5 to 6 over the summer. Will V7 still be a paid upgrade?  Not bitching, just want to know.

V7 looks great!

Yes. If you bought or upgraded since Kina it's free. If you bought or upgraded before that it's a standard upgrade cost.

TMARK

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:59:48 am »

Thanks Doug.

T

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »

Hi Doug,

The promo code has no effect. I filled it in in the Voucher code field, and clicked Confirm Voucher. The upgrade price was unchanged.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:13:16 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »

Doug

Thanks for the useful illustrations which look like significant improvements. Do you know the answer to the question here?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=57411.msg569534#msg569534

Tony

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »

One tip for the people who want to use the browser on the right - there is no such setting as a standard in C1-7 .I have not found a way to move it manually so- to get this anyway, don´t yet delete your version 6. Use the menue to get the right browser, save this as your workspace. Then switch to C1-7. You will now find it in a workplace list to chose from former versions, chose 6.3.4 and voila the browser moves right. To make sure you have this in the future, save it as Browser right.

I´m still testing, but it seems it rebuilds ALL previews now which may take DAYS on my (huge)library to finish. At the moment I cannot work anymore with it as the progress wheel is spinning permanently since some hours now.
And with the exception of the first folder I did I cannot see any previews now.

Will report of the progress tomorrow.

Regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

ctz

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »

Stefan, check this out:
Unchanged in CO7, like in CO6.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:03:07 pm by ctz »

Pics2

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 05:40:44 pm »

Hi Doug,

The promo code has no effect. I filled it in in the Voucher code field, and clicked Confirm Voucher. The upgrade price was unchanged.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug replied to that one on another forum:
"Yes, contact your local dealer for a code in your region. The idea is to have a relationship with the entity that is nearby and can provide you support, training, etc (in your own language). Phase One provides support online via support cases and are very good about getting back to you fast, but it's still better if you buy from a local dealer and maintain a relationship with them. The promo codes incentivize that."

jeanvalentin

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:56 am »

Hi,

Aside from being a little bit slower (hey, it's the first iteration and it's not a hog), I have a problem.

Rating doesn't work. Here is what happens:

1. I viewing a bunch of images
2. Hit 2 (to give it a 2 start); I even tried clicking on the stars under the thumb
3. The image gets 2 stars
4. Click on another image
5. The previous image gets the rating to no stars (it happens even if previously was set to one star; it goes to no star).
Best,
Valentin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up