Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-E1 RAW files show as cropped in LR 4.2  (Read 13002 times)

Petrus

Fuji X-E1 RAW files show as cropped in LR 4.2
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »

I found some strange behavior with X-E1 RAW files and LR 4.2. When importing RAW file from X-E1 LR 4.2 shows it cropped to 16:9 or something to that effect. You have to go to cropping tool and unlock the cropping and choose original, then the whole picture is revealed. More than annoying!

Funny thing is that if you choose to shoot both RAW & JPEG, the RAW file behaves normally.

Old Silkypix did not read X-E1 files, by the way, so there has been some tweaking of the Fuji RAW files since X-Pro1 came out. I have not tested if this has soothing to do with the v2.0 firmware shared by X-Pro1 and X-E1.

jeremypayne

Re: Fuji X-E1 RAW files show as cropped in LR 4.2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:42:01 pm »

When importing RAW file from X-E1 LR 4.2 shows it cropped to 16:9 or something to that effect. You have to go to cropping tool and unlock the cropping and choose original, then the whole picture is revealed.

Are you SURE you haven't selected a different aspect ratio within the in-camera settings?

The Sony RX100 does that in LR ... but only if you have selected an aspect ratio in-camera other than 3:2.

Petrus

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:49:11 pm »

When shooting RAW there is no possibility of choosing other than full original aspect ratio. When I tested RAW + JPEG it was 3:2 (full frame).

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

Can you post an example of such a raw file?  Lr 4.2 is designed to default to the chosen in-camera aspect ratio / crop setting, which for the X-E1 should be 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1.
Eric Chan

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:47 am »

so there has been some tweaking of the Fuji RAW files since X-Pro1 came out. I have not tested if this has soothing to do with the v2.0 firmware shared by X-Pro1 and X-E1.

Petrus:

Unrelated to your specific issue; but as someone who is already importing RAW from an X-E1 into Lr4.2, it would be very interesting to read your thoughts on the image quality achieved. Have the issues around importing X-Trans sensor RAWs from the X-Pro1 been successfully addressed. for example? Cordially, dk

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »

I mentioned this cropping issue on the Adobe support forum, somebody else had noticed the same thing. He had a better and faster solution for doing away with the unwanted cropping: just hit the reset button in LR.

I do not see any change in LR behavior with X-Pro1 and X-E1 RAW files. That funny watercolor effect does not show up in most pictures, and as my photos are for the screen or at most for magazine spreads, it does not really matter. If printing maximum size or pixel peeping, then it might annoy somebody. 99.9% of the time it does not show. I have read rumors about Fuji and Adobe working on this together now, maybe LR 4.3 will fix it.

rasterdogs

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:33:36 pm »

I mentioned this cropping issue on the Adobe support forum, somebody else had noticed the same thing. He had a better and faster solution for doing away with the unwanted cropping: just hit the reset button in LR.

I do not see any change in LR behavior with X-Pro1 and X-E1 RAW files. That funny watercolor effect does not show up in most pictures, and as my photos are for the screen or at most for magazine spreads, it does not really matter. If printing maximum size or pixel peeping, then it might annoy somebody. 99.9% of the time it does not show. I have read rumors about Fuji and Adobe working on this together now, maybe LR 4.3 will fix it.

This echoes my experience with X-pro1 RAW files and LR4.2.  I have very good results using RAW files and only very occasionally encounter 'watercolor effect' conversions.
-rasterdogs

jeremypayne

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:18 pm »

I mentioned this cropping issue on the Adobe support forum, somebody else had noticed the same thing.

Are you really going to ignore Eric Chan?   He's a senior member of the LR team at Adobe and he's offering to help you ....

rasterdogs

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:47:54 am »

Are you really going to ignore Eric Chan?   He's a senior member of the LR team at Adobe and he's offering to help you ....

Petrus must have solved his problem or was only complaining.  ???

If the 'Madman' is interested in taking a look that's a big deal.

Given the sturm and drang on DPreview about the quality of the Adobe RAW conversions of the X-trans files it would be encouraging to
see someone from Adobe involved with any issue related to the X-trans sensor output.

-rasterdogs

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:16:32 pm »

I'll try to post a sample RAW file tomorrow. Sorry not to be familiar with Madman's credentials. Naturally it might not be Adobe's fault at all, fault is more likely to be at the Fuji end (RAW file only = wrong framing, RAW & JPEG = RAW file is OK).

rasterdogs

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

There is a great LuLa Advanced Tutorial that includes a in-depth conversation with Eric Chan, Jeff Schewe, and our host that illuminates the expertise and dedication of the Light Room engineers. Mr. Schewe nicknames them the Adobe 'Bright Boys' though is wise to include the women on the team this term   :) .

This thread gives a taste of the reception to that conversation:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=70802.0

-rasterdogs

Petrus

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:20 am »

Here are links to two Fuji RAW files in Dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83196748/RAW_Only.RAF
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83196748/RAW_and_JPEG.RAF

First was taken camera set to RAW only, and it opens cropped in LR 4.2. This is funny as one can not change the aspect ratio for a RAW file in X-E1. Crop disappears by clicking "RESET" in LR. Or by going to crop tool, then unlocking the file and setting "original".

Second one is the RAW file produced with camera set to RAW and JPEG, without cropping. This Raw opens as it should in LR 4.2.

Picture itself is nothing to write home about...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 02:14:38 pm by Petrus »

Costas

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:58 am »

....... Picture itself is nothing to write home about...

I wouldn't say that - shows a man on the middle floor defying gravity with his feet attached to the wall  :o

The EXIF data in LR says
Dimensions - 3264 x 4896
Cropped - 2760 x 4896

That would tend to suggest a crop has been applied "in-camera" or there is an error in writing the EXIF data. Worth checking other images.

Petrus

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 06:40:35 am »

I think that X-E1 writes wrong info into the file if only RAW file is chosen, like said previously there is no way to change the RAW aspect ratios via camera menus. If so, I should complain to Fuji, not Adobe.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:51:44 am by Petrus »

RaglePhoto

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »

I am in the testing stage of my X-E1 (received Tuesday, 13th of November).  The firmware version is 1.01.  As I only shoot RAW, and also process using Lightroom 4.2 (on APLE OSX Lion), the odd 16:9 crop default is happening to my files.  I tested bridge, running ACR 7.2, and it behaves likewise.  In Lightroom, I batch-apply a correction immediately after import.

Addendum:  Photo Mechanic 5 sees the 16:9 crop initially, but removes it once the preview is fully rendered (much faster overall than Adobe, by the way).  I just learned, thanks to BobFisher, that editing in Bridge can be sped up to the rate of Photo Mechanic by clicking the checkerboard button below the 'Metadata' tab, activating preview using embedded jpegs.  Funny, though, after a long pause, the phantom 16:9 crop appears. Definitely behaving like a glitch in the RAW file code.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:01:31 pm by RaglePhoto »

Peter Barnes

• Peter Barnes photographer
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »

Petrus, any developments on this? I have the same issue.  Thanks for the work arounds.
Peter
Peter Barnes

wolf krow

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:29 am »

Hello,

this seems to be a problem within the raw file, not lightroom.

Easy workaround:
Shoot both raw and jpeg. (Setting FINE+RAW)
Throw the jpegs away after the download.
Now the raw file gets interpreted correctly!
:-)

This has another advantage: On the camera you can zoom into the images to 100%,  which you couldn't  in raw only mode!!!  After downloading from the SD you don't need the jpegs anymore if you are a raw shooter, so trash them.

Capture One 7, by the way opens it correctly either way. Still I think, the problem is not with adobe, but in the way the camera encodes the raw file (educated guess).

I use Photoshop (PS) no Lightroom, but I assume it is the same in LR since they both use ACR (adobe camera raw) as raw converter.

And now the interesting bit. If you investigate the metadata you find:
Raw Image Full Size             : 5120x3288
This is 17,4 Megapixels instead of the
4896x3264 = 16Megapixel of the jpeg (and the raw in raw+FINE mode)

If you open the raw in Capture One and look at it, it has 4896x3264 (with or without the workaround).
But as you examine deeper you find a crop frame set to 4896x3264 which you can enlarge to 5120x3288  !!!!
This means you get the full 17,4MP!!! Meaning that there are additional margins on the image which you can use! I assume (but did not test it) that the viewfinder shows the 16MP crop. One more thing: 5120:3288 =1,55 So this is not the aspect ratio of 1,5 =3:2

Adobe ACR seems to be limited to the 16MP in any case.
What I did not find out is, where in the raw file the information about the crop frame is stored. In the exif I could not find it (but I might have overread it).

Summary:
Capture One works straight forward + can give you 17,4MP

in any case:
turn on fine+raw
shoot

the cropframe of the raw will be set to the 4896x3264 (3:2) if you open in ACR.

Enjoy, Wolf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:37:24 am by wolf krow »

Glenn NK

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »

I found some strange behavior with X-E1 RAW files and LR 4.2.

Have you tried LR4.4?  Good reports on other forums for better processing of the X-Trans RAW files.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Petrus

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »

Have you tried LR4.4?  Good reports on other forums for better processing of the X-Trans RAW files.

Glenn

I have installed 4.4 on my both machines but not tried it yet. Going away (with X-E1) for 2 days, will see if 4.4 still has the crop problem after I come back. Processing problems are not there anymore, as we all have read elsewhere, which is good.

I still do not blame Lightroom (only) for the crop problem, as Fuji must be making 2 different RAW files when shot with or without JPEG, without any apparent reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up