Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current fall color conditions in Zion  (Read 2631 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Current fall color conditions in Zion
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »

Anyone have any idea what the current fall color is like in Zion? I am heading there for 11/2-11/4 for a quickie trip and I was hoping the colors would be going nicely.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

sierraman

Re: Current fall color conditions in Zion
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »

Anyone have any idea what the current fall color is like in Zion? I am heading there for 11/2-11/4 for a quickie trip and I was hoping the colors would be going nicely.

Thanks,
Alan

You can take a peak on the webcam.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/camera/single/ZionTemples.php

ltphoto

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:00:01 pm »

We have almost always had great color in Zion the first weekend of November. One exception was the year that a huge windstorm came up on Friday night and blew most of the leaves off the trees when we went to the Subway. Right now the long range forecast is for fairly calm and dry weather over the next week or so.

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »

The first week of November should be perfect for seeing blood-red maples in the main canyon (with the little bit of luck a photographer always does need). For the aspens in the higher parts of the park (Kolob area) it will be too late in the year.
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com

sierraman

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

Observations from this weekend in Zion. The colors in the main canyon are just peaking now in the upper areas of the canyon. From the Angels Landing parking area to the parking area at The Temple of Sinawava, the colors are fantastic right now. Lots of color along the Virgin River with plenty of reds and bright yellows. Any and of all the north facing slopes in the main canyon have plenty of color to photograph. The great thing about photographing Zion right now is you can shoot from sunrise to sunset. With the high canyon walls there is always some area of shaded/soft light no matter what time of day. So if you go have your battery charged and have plenty of room on your memory card. Oh, by the the way, you may run into another photographer or two or three.  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:19:24 pm by sierraman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up