Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of D800 Questions...  (Read 2965 times)

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
A couple of D800 Questions...
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:49 am »

Hi all,

I did a little test with the 5x4 image area function with raw capture and I've found that Capture NX2 throws away the extra data from the full capture of 2x3. Is this true universally with all raw developing software or just with Nikon's?

Also, Michael mentions a shutter delay function which can be used in conjunction with MLU and I'm just not finding it in the manual... help please?

Thanks!

*steve
semillerimages.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: A couple of D800 Questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 01:57:39 am »

Hi all,

I did a little test with the 5x4 image area function with raw capture and I've found that Capture NX2 throws away the extra data from the full capture of 2x3. Is this true universally with all raw developing software or just with Nikon's?

Also, Michael mentions a shutter delay function which can be used in conjunction with MLU and I'm just not finding it in the manual... help please?

My understanding is that only NX does this, all the other raw converters will ignore these tags and use the full 3x2 image.

Yes, there is indeed this setting, sorry I don't have the camera in front of me, but I believe it is in the exposure section.

Cheers,
Bernard

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:31 am »

The camera hard crops in all 3 crop modes (1.2, 1.5, 4:5).  This is why the frame rate can go higher in crop modes.  It would be nice if there was the option to keep the extra pixels, though.

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:20 am »

I believe the reference is to what Nikon calls 'Exposure Delay Mode' (d4 in 'Custom Settings') which can but does not need to be used in conjunction with Mirror Lock Up.  Exposure Delay Mode, which can be set to either 1, 2, or 3 seconds, releases first the mirror (in the 'up' position) and then the shutter, making the additional use of 'Mup' somewhat redundant. Hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

Larry

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »

Gentlemen, thank you all for your helpful and quick replies!

Cheers!

*steve
semillerimages.com

NicoChina

• nicolasharter.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:54:34 pm »

The total number of pictures that the camera can take with a memory card increases (by about 20%) when you shift to the 5:4 mode, so i don't think it keeps the full 3:2 datas.

It would be great if it was possible to fix the proportion by yourself in the menus or at least to have a few more options (square?)

craigwashburn

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »

If the frame rate increases, I'd guess that the cropping is done in hardware.  It would have to leave some pixels turned off and out of the pipeline to accommodate the increase.
Pages: [1]   Go Up