Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've experienced Medium format, and my left bicep is sore.  (Read 24873 times)

JV

Re: I've experienced Medium format, and my left bicep is sore.
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:32 pm »

Re: H4d with 55-110.

That 55-110 looks huge.. I was watching a show, where ex-singer turned photographer  was shooting with H-Phase and this lens. I was impressed how at one point she handed off the whole setup to her assistant with the arm fully out stretched while waiting for him to take it for about 1 or  2 seconds. She didn't look particularly muscular, so I thought it was surprising how effortless that looked.

Just tried this, can't do it, at least not effortless... The 50-110 weighs 1650g.

gotspeed

new arrival 180 W-N
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 02:57:41 am »

Did some test shots with the 180 W-N, it appears to be nice and sharp wide open.   With f/4.5 max it's getting darker in the view finder..  At one point the system locked up on me, couldn't do a thing.  Freaked me out.   Back was complaining it was not getting an image, i could not rotate the winder, or take off the lens not sure about rotating the back..  Luckily it turned out to be 65mm i switched to was set for Timed exposure on the lens..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:19:31 am by gotspeed »

gotspeed

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 02:53:49 pm »

So now having the whole package, grip, winder +prism with 2.4magnifier,  "Are you feeling lucky , punk?" is what came to my mind while  looking at and holding the camera.

The grip as expected , gives a nice way to hold the beast, but it really twists your wrist with that much weight, so you need support from right hand but then focusing becomes the hardest part while supporting the camera with both hands.  

On the plus side, nice side effect of the winder is that the left focus knob gets raised up, so some crude focusing can be done with left thumb. Almost as if by design... The big minus, you can't mount "almost" anything in the hot shoe, hence they add a cold shoe on the grip (at least it looks cold) meaning I'll need a 2nd cable from back to PW. I also got the shorter back to lens cable, so that cable is nicely routed around the top body, and stays out of the way now.  

I also found a new/cheap Type C screen with a microprism (no split).  It helps out a lot on brighter subjects with magnifier on WLF.
Magnifier on the prism, gives nice bright enlargement, but wearing glasses, it's not ideal to flip up my glasses, then flip down the magnifier.

Going back to prism with with the mirror image correction, is very comforting at the moment, the tunnel is there as some say, but it's not that bad..  I'm still uncomfortable composing with the WLF. Although getting better. So i think i am glad to have gotten it, definitely usable. This is the non-AE, finder 2. Heavy chunk of glass, as is every piece..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:55:42 pm by gotspeed »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »

Hello,

I’m pleased that you in my opinion have the best MF camera system ever made. I have said this before but I would recommend a mono pod if you want to hand hold. It still gives you mobility but it just takes all that weight of your hands and arms.

Cheers

Simon
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:28:31 pm by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

gotspeed

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:10 pm »

Thanks for the support :).. I will do  the monopod.. .  1st real shoot, i didn't start using the RZ until sun was long gone.. Spent too long in the field with the canon.   Ended up shooting 1/13 ISO 100 tripod with human subject, and still got some usable images (even with the 180 )  with bit of  motion blur on some... Hindsight  should have gone with iso 200/400 and tried out the C1 v7 to see how good it is.

I didn't have much time to play with C1 7 yet, but imported some iso 200 test shots to check it out. Looked very clean in the viewer after c1 processed it. Now if i can get to let me edit the images... No problem with import and edit in 6.. weird.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:55:38 am by gotspeed »

gotspeed

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

Having finally clicked on the Checkout Hertblei thread, noticed the killer adapter (with killer price  ).  

I already can put my m645 120 macro on the canon, Leaf  on both RZ  and AFD and soon RZ lenses on the AFD! Interesting proposition. That would be very flexible system.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:42:00 pm by gotspeed »

gotspeed

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 10:41:25 am »

Simon,

Now  you got me curious.  Which features you find the most useful and valuable for your work to have this strong of an opinion...

Luckily the PW transmitter includes a short cable (sat unused in the box for years.. I was about to order one until reviews pointed out it's included). I thought it will be too short to rotate the back, but no it's just perfect and still very uncluttered with one cable crossing under the other. I am pleased with how that worked out.  Ready to go for flash work with the grip..

The focus issue while holding the body with both hands, with more practice is not so bad, there's many ways to hold the body to work all 3 knobs.. Having thumbs is a really useful thing after all.

Hello,

I’m pleased that you in my opinion have the best MF camera system ever made. I have said this before but I would recommend a mono pod if you want to hand hold. It still gives you mobility but it just takes all that weight of your hands and arms.

Cheers

Simon
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:59:54 am by gotspeed »

gotspeed

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2012, 11:09:09 am »

So I am not going nuts after all.. There's somekind of a bug on windows version.. Doesn't edit images from Aptus backs. Switching from DB to PRo trial fixed it.

Re: Can't edit Leaf photo in Capture One DB 7

Postby Drew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm
Not at all... it looks like a bug on the Windows version.
We got a support case this evening and forwarded it to the Programers. They replied right away and began to look into the issue. We'll get on it, in the meantime use the PRO trial which will last 60 days and we'll have it fixed for you by then.
The PRO version does work with the files so it's a simple fix in the DB code. Sorry it got overlooked somehow :(
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One

Drew   
    Crew
    Crew

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:59:56 am by gotspeed »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

Hi Gotspeed,

My reasoning for my comment about the Mamiya RZ system goes back to 1988. My first medium camera system was a second hand Kowa Super 66 which was called the poor mans Hasselblad. But as a young photographer it was cheap and a very good camera but it was getting old. So I looked at the Hasselblad V system, the new Rollie 6006 system at the time and the Mamiya RZ. What I like straight of the bat was the 6x7 format no mentally cropping the 6x6 format in my head. The RZ’s modular system and the bellows focus lenses and it ability to rotate the film back. And of course it was much cheaper than the Hasselblad and Rollie as I was still getting established.

Now 24 years and 4 bodies latter I still just love this camera.

Hope this answers your question.

Give it time getting to know the beautiful camera and it will become part of you. Wow that was deep.

Cheers

Simon
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:33:22 pm by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

gotspeed

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »

Thanks for sharing that...

Hi Gotspeed,

My reasoning for my comment about the Mamiya RZ system goes back to 1988. My first medium camera system was second hand Kowa 66 which was called the poor man Hasselblad. But as a young photographer it was cheap and a very good camera but was getting old. So I looked at the Hasselblad V system, the new Rollie 6006 system at the time and the Mamiya RZ. What I like straight of the bat was the 6x7 format no mentally cropping the 6x6 format in my head. The RZ’s modular system and the bellows focus lenses and it ability to rotate the film back. And of coure it was much cheaper than the Hasselblad and Rollie as I was still getting established.

Hope this answerers your question.

Give it time getting to know the beautiful camera and it will become part of you. Wow that was deep.

Cheers

Simon

TMARK

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:25 am »

Hi Gotspeed,

My reasoning for my comment about the Mamiya RZ system goes back to 1988. My first medium camera system was second hand Kowa 66 which was called the poor man Hasselblad. But as a young photographer it was cheap and a very good camera but was getting old. So I looked at the Hasselblad V system, the new Rollie 6006 system at the time and the Mamiya RZ. What I like straight of the bat was the 6x7 format no mentally cropping the 6x6 format in my head. The RZ’s modular system and the bellows focus lenses and it ability to rotate the film back. And of coure it was much cheaper than the Hasselblad and Rollie as I was still getting established.

Hope this answerers your question.

Cheers

Simon

My exact experience, although I didn't have a Kowa. I had a bare bones V system and couldn't afford any more lenses, backs, finders, etc. I had a hard time cropping to 4:3. When I was assisting I saw the RZ in action and was blown away. I've had RZs since 1994.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up