Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X Pro 1 OFV/EFV AF technique  (Read 3079 times)

MichaelAmira

Fuji X Pro 1 OFV/EFV AF technique
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »

Hello,

I recently sprung for the Fuji X Pro 1 and 35mm f/1.4 combo. I have been slowly but surely getting used to the autofocus. Needless to say, this is taking getting used to.

While I enjoy the experience of using the optical viewfinder much more than the EVF, I find the EVF much more accurate in focusing exactly where I choose, and in low lighting. There are times where the camera will not lock in dark settings in optical mode, but will be lock on rather quickly in the EVF.

My questions are as follows:

1: In the OVF with the central AF square activated, as well as the other dotted square for parallax correction, should I estimate where in between those two points I should place what I want to be in focus, depending on their distance to me?

2: When doing portraiture, or when critical focusing is more important than time, do you find yourself more drawn to the EVF?

3: Is there a reason I am finding AF performing better in low light with EVF?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Edit: I am on firmware 2.0

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:19:26 pm by MichaelAmira »

allegretto

Re: Fuji X Pro 1 OFV/EFV AF technique
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »

Check to see if your camera has the upgraded 2.0 software. If not upgrade it and I think you will find better AF with the OVF. Be sure to upgrade your lens to the new software too

I have always considered the green rectangle the true focus point. Seems to work fine as that, but perhaps I'm wrong I guess....

MichaelAmira

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »

Thanks,

I am on 2.0. As for the green box, do you become accustomed to where it will apear, over time?

Michael

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:34:05 pm »

of course you can designate where it will be to a small degree, but it only unnerved me a bit. Now that I'm used to it it doesn't bother me much at all. My Nikon allows much more mobility of focus point but they both take great pictures and I love the film emulation for certain things

Petrus

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:05:10 am »

As I understand it you (we...) should aim the focus rectangle so that the parallax corrected frame appears on the spot where we actually want to focus, i.e. "lead" the focus to use a shooting terminology. I have not tested this yet with the camera on tripod, but that is the way I use it. And yes, using the EVF is more exact, but I do not like the slow video response I get form (any) electronic finder, except real video cameras. Anyway, using the little lever to switch between EVF and OVF in certain situations should become a reflex after using the camera for a while. I am not there yet, but learning.

One complaint: 60 mm frame on the OVF is vertically misplaced quite a lot at least on my camera. Solution: get a X-E1 for it...

MichaelAmira

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:36 pm »

Thanks you both for the replies.

It seems there is just a learning curve involved with this. I just tend to use the EVF begrudgingly because I canceled by pre-order on the X-E1 to get this camera!

If anyone has more to add, please do.

Best,
Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up