Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping Images  (Read 900 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Cropping Images
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

I was just watching the new Lightroom 4 tutorial and the topic of cropping came up.  Michael says that he crops without regard to aspect ratio.  I admit that I usually don't crop too much and when I do I usually stay with the same aspect ratio or sometimes change it to 5x4 so that I will have an easier time matting later on.  I really find matting to at times be a nightmare.  On the other hand what Michael said makes a lot of sense and something I really should reconsider.  I'm curious how others approach cropping. 

Tom Frerichs

Re: Cropping Images
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »

I crop to what I think fits the composition, and as I cut my own mats I don't have to worry about aspect ratio.

Tom Frerichs

Edited to correct my spelling, and to add that I don't often find that the world is a nice 2:3 or 2-1/4x2-3/4 world...the latter in case I dig out the KoniOmegaflex.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:20:43 pm by Tom Frerichs »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Cropping Images
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:33:56 pm »

Aside from cutting your own mats, there are a few online vendors that will cut custom mats at prices not much higher than what standard mats cost at your local store. You can specify standard outer dimensions so you can buy standard frames, a big money-saver, and order a window cut-out to suit. I had a few bookmarks at one point, but they seem to be gone. A quick search will find several suppliers though.
--
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up