Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 22/75 r P25 on a 501cm: Thoughts?  (Read 6933 times)

TMARK

Re: Aptus 22/75 r P25 on a 501cm: Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:07:34 pm »

The new M is still on my radar. The addition of Live-View and the EVF has transformed the M into a very versatile machine. Really, the announcement pretty much covered my wish list. I'm waiting to see if the CMOS sensor can replicate the look of the CCD files. There's a possibility that I might even ditch MFD.

Time will tell.  

My thoughts exactly.

amsp

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

Hi,

Do you scan your film? How do you do that?

Best regards
Erik

At the moment I have them scanned at different labs depending on the usage. I'm waiting to see how that Plustek Opticfilm 120 turns out before deciding on what route to take for a more permanent solution, I really prefer having full control myself.

Stop it!!! This is bad for us who given up film, makes tempted to shoot it again ;D

Why not? I really don't get why you would give up one for the other, they both have their place. I say enjoy your options :)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »

Why not? I really don't get why you would give up one for the other, they both have their place. I say enjoy your options :)

I did. Gave up film for alongside digital last year. So call me nowadays a late full convert with fear of re-addiction, sensitive eyes, a love, simplicity, or simply agreeing film is beautiful.  ;D

First my 80MP was what made me drop film, due colors, rendering of film (Velvia 50)... film is really awesome!!!

Shame difficult find film, get developed, scanned... and my mind frequent even think raw and curves when see film images nowadays... and it would add unneeded (??) cost.

I evan amaze at certain B&W shots at times nowadays, thinking may buy a box 4x5 sheets and couple film holders for my 4x5 Shen Hao (that I not yet given up)... perhaps would work to photo the negs using my Leaf instead of scan?? For 4x5 film check inspiration here; http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?44249-Large-Format-Landscapes&p=943241&viewfull=1#post943241

Apologies if tad out of topic.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:47:13 pm by Anders_HK »

amsp

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 05:35:16 pm »

I did. Gave up film for alongside digital last year. So call me nowadays a late full convert with fear of re-addiction, sensitive eyes, a love, simplicity, or simply agreeing film is beautiful.  ;D

First my 80MP was what made me drop film, due colors, rendering of film (Velvia 50)... film is really awesome!!!

Shame difficult find film, get developed, scanned... and my mind frequent even think raw and curves when see film images nowadays... and it would add unneeded (??) cost.

I evan amaze at certain B&W shots at times nowadays, thinking may buy a box 4x5 sheets and couple film holders for my 4x5 Shen Hao (that I not yet given up)... perhaps would work to photo the negs using my Leaf instead of scan?? For 4x5 film check inspiration here; http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?44249-Large-Format-Landscapes&p=943241&viewfull=1#post943241

Apologies if tad out of topic.  ;)

Well, if convenience is your priority then digital no doubt is hard to beat, for me the priority is the end result no matter what. There are many reasons I'm enjoying film again, but the major ones are:

1.) "The look". I see a distinct difference in my film shots, colors are strong but muted (if that makes sense), skin tones are more flattering, and they have an overall more "organic" look to them. There's more really, but it's all very hard to put into words. This is why I think it's impossible to do any film vs. digital comparisons, because people look for, see, and value different things. It's all very personal.

2.) "The experience". For me the experience when shooting film or digital are two very different things, I just enjoy and feel more connected to the craft when shooting film. You could say I'm making images when shooting digital and creating photographs when shooting film, but I'm sure that only makes sense to me. Either way, enjoyment is something that should not be disregarded as it seeps into the image more than you might think.

3.) "The final image". All of the above would not really matter if the end result did not reflect it, but I see results that for me are worth every inconvenience in the world, and then some. And in the end that's all that matters. For me there are things that digital excel with, where for example high volume, speed, and exact reproduction is key. Then there are other things where "feel" is more important and I prefer using film.

Anyway, this is all just my own findings only really applicable to me. I just challenge people to break out of the mindset that digital must be better in every way and replace everything that came before it. I don't really see people in other art forms thinking this way, in fact most other "artists" relish choice and the unique aesthetics it might offer to them, be it a technique, tool or material. But for some reason our field seems hellbent on going the other way, and that worries me.

TMARK

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

Well, if convenience is your priority then digital no doubt is hard to beat, for me the priority is the end result no matter what. There are many reasons I'm enjoying film again, but the major ones are:

1.) "The look". I see a distinct difference in my film shots, colors are strong but muted (if that makes sense), skin tones are more flattering, and they have an overall more "organic" look to them. There's more really, but it's all very hard to put into words. This is why I think it's impossible to do any film vs. digital comparisons, because people look for, see, and value different things. It's all very personal.

2.) "The experience". For me the experience when shooting film or digital are two very different things, I just enjoy and feel more connected to the craft when shooting film. You could say I'm making images when shooting digital and creating photographs when shooting film, but I'm sure that only makes sense to me. Either way, enjoyment is something that should not be disregarded as it seeps into the image more than you might think.

3.) "The final image". All of the above would not really matter if the end result did not reflect it, but I see results that for me are worth every inconvenience in the world, and then some. And in the end that's all that matters. For me there are things that digital excel with, where for example high volume, speed, and exact reproduction is key. Then there are other things where "feel" is more important and I prefer using film.

Anyway, this is all just my own findings only really applicable to me. I just challenge people to break out of the mindset that digital must be better in every way and replace everything that came before it. I don't really see people in other art forms thinking this way, in fact most other "artists" relish choice and the unique aesthetics it might offer to them, be it a technique, tool or material. But for some reason our field seems hellbent on going the other way, and that worries me.

I agree 100%. 

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:33 am »

I agree 100%.  

+1 and very well stated.

That is why using film again is so tempting! With digital I have found it is first latest MFDB sensors allowing similar sensations to me (in results) to film. Likewise images from Leica Monochrom are yaw dropping in that regards, and who knows if Leica M too will be. Yet film is different. It has a unique character, rendering, and simpleness that is completely awesome.

The mystery remain that film is cheaper (unless very high volume), yet though more simple it is today more difficult to use... yet complete awesome experience.

On a similar note, the image I use under my name left was shot by two gents in Shanghai using 5x7 and glass plates. Again different but results in ways simply blew me away!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:41:00 am by Anders_HK »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up