Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fabric for printing? HP z3100 / Canon ipf8300  (Read 10526 times)

Roscolo

Fabric for printing? HP z3100 / Canon ipf8300
« on: October 19, 2012, 01:24:54 pm »

OK. A customer asked me if I could print on fabric from which one could "make pillows." I doubt this customer would want to make enough pillows for me to justify buying a roll of anything, but I'm throwing it out there. Any fabric suitable for this purpose I can run through an HP z3100 or a Canon ipf8300? I do a lot of prints on canvas for this customer, so I'm assuming she doesn't want to make pillows out of Sunset Select Matte.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Re: Fabric for printing? HP z3100 / Canon ipf8300
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:41:04 pm »

Dharma Trading Company sells a product line called FabriSogn, from Jacquard Inkjst Fabric Systems that work pretty well, if you are aware of the limitations.  Jacquard also sells them direct, but at a higher price than buying them through Dharma (!).  They have a swatch book of about 30 paper backed fabrics that work with pigment printers that I suggest you start with.  The coated fabrics print anywhere from very well to rather disappointingly muted across the line.  They offer silks, cottons, and synthetics.  When printed, the fabrics are able to get wet and not bleed or fade, but they are not advertised as being machine washable.  I think they are probably appropriate for decorative pillows, but not  for garments.  I've used it for silk artwork and wall hangings with my Z3100 before.  To really print durable fabrics that behave like normal ones with the color fully integrated into the weave vs. on top, you need to use ProSign fabrics and dye sublimation inks.

They sell 6' long sample rolls of each for about $28 that will get you enough to profile and play with.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3891257-AA.shtml
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:47:35 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »

Check Canon Satin Cloth 110g - I used to print once on it and get outstanding results!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:54:22 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:56:50 pm »

I have used InkAID on quilting cotton for a pillow with fabulous results, getting a print that looked absolutely as good as if it had been printed on a high-end heavy-weight (say 300 gsm) lustre or semi-gloss photo paper -- good depth of color, accurate color, crisp, clear, extraordinary level of detail.  I used an ordinary quilting cotton which had a slight white/off-white stripe to it.  I painted on two thin coats of InkAID Translucent Gloss Precoat, waiting for the first to dry before applying the second.  I then ironed it to a piece of freezer paper to stabilize it in the printer, and with a sewing machine zig-zagged the edges so they wouldn't loosen and catch the printhead (believe me, this is a necessary extra step, at least for the Epson 4900 which I used).  My fabric was cut 17 inches wide by something somewhat longer than that.  I was printing a navigational map with teeny-tiny water depth markings which came out crisp and clear on the fabric.  The only downside is worrying about whether the fabric will catch your printhead and kill your printer, and the slightly stiff resulting fabric.  This stiffness has softened somewhat with use.  Also, I don't know whether it would withstand washing; but I've used pillows for many years without their needing washing, so I haven't worried about that.  Will test it at some point.  InkAID is located in upstate New York, and I have heard that they don't ship in the middle of the winter to make sure their products don't freeze during shipment.  Don't know if that is actually true or not.  They can be reached at www.inkAID1.com.  Another bottle I have indicates www.inkAID.com.  Also, telephone numbers on the bottles are 888-424-8167 and 315-786-6709.  I used Translucent Gloss Precoat in the 1 pint size for 2 coats on two pieces about 17 x 25, and used most of the bottle.  I also ordered White Matte Precoat, but haven't tried it yet.  This stuff was great for my intended use.  Indeed, it far surpassed by hopes for the result.  InkAID is promoted for everything you can put a coat on and run through a printer, not just fabric.  Please let us know what you end up doing/using.  --Barbara

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

This is by far the best fabric I have seen for inkjet printing. I just don't know if they are in business any more or not. Beautiful color and washable.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 04:33:38 pm »

Which fabric would that be, @na goodman?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »

Oops, sorry left off the link - it's been a long day. Here it is http://www.colorplusfabrics.com/index.html

tonywong

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 06:02:36 pm »

Great subject. I've been using a Z3100 with Lexjet Water Resistant Satin and have gotten decent results.

The only thing I get sometimes are head strikes. I *think* that feeding it out of the printer (forwards) and rolling it back in straightens it so there isn't any lift during printing.

http://www.lexjet.com/p-3740-lexjet-water-resistant-satin-cloth.aspx

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »

Thanks to all for the great info. More than enough to get me started. Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up