Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon DPP vs LR & ACR  (Read 6516 times)

KenKovak

• KenKPhotogpraphy
Canon DPP vs LR & ACR
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:32 am »

Was reading on a well known photographer's blog that current versions of Canon DPP actually produce better raw conversions than ACR & LR for recent high end Canon cameras.

Does anyone have any personal experience to validate/refute this?  Also does anyone know if this applies to older Canon bodies (e.g.:40D) if true?

Thanks
Ken
Ken Kovak
Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

RFPhotography

Re: Canon DPP vs LR & ACR
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:40 am »

A link to the blog article so that everyone can read it?

citro

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 09:51:55 am »

A link to the blog article so that everyone can read it?
+1 :)

KenKovak

• KenKPhotogpraphy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:17 am »

Ken Kovak
Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:07:15 am »

well, as usual everything just boils down to the following bold&underlined

"In this new eGuide (sent via e-mail as a 19-page PDF) I share everything that Arash taught me. I encourage you to give DPP a shot even if like me you tried it before and did not like it…. There is a good reason that Arash has a PhD!

The simplest and fastest way to order your copy of “The Digital Photo Professional RAW Conversion Guide” (DPP RCG) is through the BAA On-line Store by clicking here. Or, you can order your copy by sending a check for $15 made out to “Arthur Morris” to us at BIRDS AS ART, PO Box 7245, Indian Lake Estates, FL 33855. Be sure to include your e-mail address (written legibly). If you prefer PayPal you can send $15 to us via e-mail; be sure to include the title of the eGuide. "

competition to sell LR/ACR guides/manuals is too big (both from paid sources and from free sources), hence you need to find a niche for yourself...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:09:21 am by deejjjaaaa »

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

While not at all questioning Morris' qualifications as a photographer, my guess would be that; like a lot of people, he's struggling somewhat with Adobe's 2012 Process Version.  I also think deeejjjaaa is right and it's a nice bit of advertising for his ebook.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:58:37 am »

While not at all questioning Morris' qualifications as a photographer, my guess would be that; like a lot of people, he's struggling somewhat with Adobe's 2012 Process Version. 

DPP has its own advantage for sure, I'd assume that Canon's DLO is supposed to be tuned by Canon itself for example to do proper deblurring taking into account the how deblurring parameters shall vary across the image field based on the distance from the center of the frame for a particular lens model / camera model combo... something like DxO does too, except DxO tests and Canon can just use the data from their optical CAD system.

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »

Advantage?  Maybe, maybe not.  But when Morris says that images from his 1DX appeared to have colour that was 'off' and exhibit 'poor quality' when processed in ACR that's more than lens blurring issues.  Much more.  Now, maybe Adobe doesn't quite have the processing of 1DX images right, don't know.  If so, I'm sure it's something they'll work on.  Maybe it's a camera profile issue and a custom profile would work better.  Don't know.  Has anyone else made mention of poor results processing 1DX images in ACR/LR? 

As far as the Canon DLO and DxO lens corrections, Adobe does have its lens profiles.  I'm not entirely sure what all goes into those profiles; whether it's simply corrections for things like barrel or pincushion distortion, or whether there's more to it.  I'm not entirely sure what Canon means when it talks about addressing blurring caused by the low pass filter.  I know what the low pass blur is and how it happens but not what Canon means when it talks about correcting it.  Are they talking about applying some automatic measure of capture sharpening?  If so, then I'd prefer the manual approach that Adobe offers.  The Detail panel in ACR/LR does use deconvolution which does try to reverse the cause of the blurring rather than just enhance edge contrast like USM.

Mark F

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

Just came across this thread. Here is a link to Andy Rouse's site where he makes the same comment.   http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/blog/250.php

Easiest to search for "DPP" to find his comment.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up