Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church  (Read 3192 times)

-Tom-

• 1:1-8 / 19-84
    • Tomislav Mavrovic
Church
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:23:26 pm »

It just so happened I was wandering around churches this time and took few photos before the reverend noticed and told me it's forbidden :/

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Church
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:22 pm »

See. . . See what I mean. You're walking around throwing frames around things and shooting when what you see grabs you. It works and you're getting good results. My only beef is that I'd have straightened the first one a bit, but that's a nitpick. I like 'em both.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

Did he offer an explanation as to why photographing the church is 'forbidden'?

I might understand with interiors that there is the matter of private property - albeit public private property.  But forbidden is a strong word.

I was once photographing an Old Rite Russian Orthodox church here in Sydney.  It was brand new and had glistening gold and silver onion domes which is all very unusual in Sydney.  I was being anything but sneaky since I was shooting with an 8x10 Sinar.  I was in the street, on the other side of the road.  A senior cleric came rushing in his robes across to me and told me that I could not photograph the building.  A discussion ensued and it was his belief that taking pictures contravened the second Commandment.  The building was built to the glory of God and so, in effect, I was making an image of God.

It was all very amicable and he asked if he could look through the camera - he had never seen one before - so I lifted the horse blanket and he huddled under.  He was gobsmacked.  He then turned and asked me if I could photograph the entire building for them to use in a calendar for sale.

It seems that the second Commandment can prove quite a movable feast.

Cheers,

Walter

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:26 am »

I love the combination of lights and shadows along with the curves of the arches.
Well done
Francois

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:09:10 am »

I particularly like the second one. An abstract of beautiful colours. Really nice.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:27 am »

I second that. Very nice indeed.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:35:40 am »

really nice light and exposure. I love all the smooth dark gradients.  nice composition. straighten it out a bit in post processing and it will be excellent.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

james-greenland

• James Greenland Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »

Agree with what people are saying. Both are great shots, but a note on each photo:

As Has been said before, if #1 was straightened up just a bit that would be perfect for me.
As for #2, I think in terms of composition its great, but in terms of colours I would suggest some sort of lighting control to counteract the 'grunge' look of the oranges and reds. That being said - you were in a church so it's not like you could have used a flash! maybe a bit of photoshop/Lightroom treatment?

stamper

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:57:44 am »

I was trying to think of a joke about a photographer and a cleric under a horse blanket. I am sure one will come to me. The images are fine work and I wouldn't worry about small imperfections. If I see an image that "looks" perfect then I see one that has been over processed. :)

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10:33 am »

I was trying to think of a joke about a photographer and a cleric under a horse blanket.

All okay except for palm Sunday when the cleric throws the horse blanket over his ass.  (Very rare for me to spell arse that way ..... but for the sake of the attempt at humour, there's a first time for everything.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up