Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Dx, WFT and the iPad  (Read 2278 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
1Dx, WFT and the iPad
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:06 pm »

I'm borrowing a 1Dx from CPS along with the WFT unit for an advertising shoot I have in November. I hate tethering (not my style), and have toyed with the Eye-Fi cards, etc. If at all possible, my agency client would love me to shoot and at least send low res JPEGs to an iPad for the end client to view as I shoot, since before now, they've always shot in the studio (versus location) and are "anxious" about the shoot. (I guess after shooting for 36-years, saying "trust me" no longer suffices. ;D)

Has anyone had experience with the 1Dx using the WTF-6 sent ad hoc to an iPad? Is it even possible? Was it slow as a dog? I assume I'd have to use dual cards for RAW and JPEG to send just JPEGs. Anyway, any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

Nemo

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: 1Dx, WFT and the iPad
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »

you can set up the 1DX to shoot both raw+JPEG to both CF cards. I understand you don't like tethering - not my cup of tea either -  but you should look at the ethernet option for tethering to base computer - it is extremely fast. 

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:54 am »

Thanks for the reply Ellis. If I understand you correctly, the dual CF cards will BOTH record RAW+JPEG? Or can you do RAW+JPEG on ONE and JPEG ONLY on the other? I rented a 1Dx to try out, so I'll be able to experiment a little later, but it helps to know ahead of time. The use of ethernet to tether is obviously a huge improvement. The problem is that, at least when shooting on location, any kind of tethering becomes problematic with my shooting style. One moment I'm standing still, the next I'm running backwards with a model. My poor assistant would kill himself! I ended up ordering an SD to CF adapter made for use with an Eye-Fi card, so I can experiment with the camera-to-iPad shooting with the 1Dx.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:10 am »

If I understand you correctly, the dual CF cards will BOTH record RAW+JPEG?

Yes and no.

In the "shoot 2"  (camera icon) menu Img type/size menu allows you to specify your choice of RAw (raw, M-RAW, or S-RAW resolution) + (L, M1, M2, or S resolution) JPEGS,  RAW only, or JPEG only, if you have the camera set to "Record to multiple." 

Also in the shoot2 menu you can choose the compression quality of your JPEGs - the scale goes from 1 to 10 for each JPEG resolution.

In the Set Up 1 (the wrench icon) menus, the firstline item option, "record func+card/folder selection", punch the set button to pen up its options. The first line item there is "record function" and the options there are standard, Auto switch card (so if you fill up the first CF the camera starts recording on the second CF),  Record Sep(arately), and Record to Multiple (in camera backup).

But If you choose the "Rec. separately" option you then have to go back to the SET UP 1 menu and in Img type/size line you can choose which resolution format or which resolution JPEG format  for each card but you can't set either card 1 or 2 to record only RAW (or JPEG) and the other card to record RAW+JPEG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up