Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mont Blanc... above the clouds  (Read 2790 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Mont Blanc... above the clouds
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »

Gloomy day in the Chamonix valley...but not up here

Mont Blanc...above the clouds by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Jaffy

Re: Mont Blanc... above the clouds
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »

Brings back memories of a school exchange when we went in the cable car up the Aguille du Midi. Raining at the base and crystal clear above.

I love the dynamism of your wispy cloud.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »

Crispy capture!
Very good.

Regards

Tony Jay

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:23 pm »

Crispily Great!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

francois

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:39:05 am »

Hard light but the low clouds are wonderful.
Francois

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »

Great cloud, a wonderful blue color, dramatic mountains with snow.  I think you could crop out more of the lower clouds along the bottom to emphasize the mountains even more.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 01:48:02 am »

Purdy...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

james-greenland

• James Greenland Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:48 am »

Great cloud, a wonderful blue color, dramatic mountains with snow.  I think you could crop out more of the lower clouds along the bottom to emphasize the mountains even more.

If anything I'd go the other way so that the mountain range splits the shot onto two equal halves...

Having seen more Mont Blanc shots than I care to remember, I didn't expect to be blown away by this post, but I really was. It gives a completely new perspective on it. Good work.
p.s. I'm trying to figure out where you shot this from... I've stayed in Les Houche before, but it can't have been that far around on the other side of the valley, as you wouldn't have seen the MB peak...

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »

Mont Blanc is a truly amazing place, I had the pleasure of spending best part of a day up there in 2006. Unfortunately it was in my "Travel light" phase so I only took a small 3.2 pixel Sony compact camera with me, it was that single trip that made me return to using an SLR again.  The shots from the top that I got were ok but they lacked the definition that a decent lens gives so it was a lesson learned.

We went back up in 2009 on another trip to the area - armed with a Canon and a couple of good lenses but on that ocassion the weather closed in within 20 mins of getting up there so we got asked to go back down as they were taking the cable car out of service.  I may find myself in the area once again next year as we undertake another road trip into Europe and we head for Slovenia - the long way around.   

Dewi

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:00 pm »

Very nice! It must've been a great hike.
~ CB

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »

Jaffy Tony, Chris C, Francois, Mike, James & Chris B...thank you all for  your feedback...absorbed. James this was shot from the Brevent station on the Aig Rouges side of the valley it marked the start of a whole day heavy hike across to where i got the dawn shots of Lac Blanc posted earlier i think this was shot about 9amish and i got to lac blanc just before sunset....hard going 5lts water /food bivy kit two L lenses main tripod by the time   id got to Lac Blanc i was....how shall we say rather tied, but a day ill remember for the rest of my life....i love it up there.This was my 7th trip to Cham but my first were the main aim was photography instead of mountaineering.

Shaun W
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

james-greenland

• James Greenland Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

This was my 7th trip to Cham but my first were the main aim was photography instead of mountaineering.
Shaun W

Mountaineering? not skiing? ;)

I keep on coming back to this picture looking for the bits I've skiied ;) some great stuff coming off the top of Aiguille du Midi.

Still haven't been up there when the sky is clear. Not too upset about it though, most of the time its not clear up there its snow-dump-time :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up