Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multistitch  (Read 4029 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Multistitch
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »

Notably;

1. Expensive
2. It does not state to what tolerance Multistich is made.
3. The back on a Ebony or similar camera is not to precise 0.02mm tolerance which is normally required for digital, which begs for a different design... thus not rotating plate fitting to the back of camera!
4. Rotating the multistich will result in complication with sync cords getting tangled and dust on sensor.
5. You can compose using a drawn frame on 4x5 GG, but how to focus for the back?? Tethered?

Thus perhaps Multistich is not an ideal solution...

Shen-Hao already have a better solution for using dslr on viewcamera, and alot cheaper. I have not used that one, but they made me a sliding adapter for my MFDB ca. 2008/9 that the new owner replaced his latest model Mamiya with, because he found it better and no less precise... thus without having used these new ones I can make a guess that Shen-Hao knows how to make these :).

Best regards,
Anders

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Multistitch
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting!

Best regards
Erik

Shen-Hao already have a better solution for using dslr on viewcamera, and alot cheaper. I have not used that one, but they made me a sliding adapter for my MFDB ca. 2008/9 that the new owner replaced his latest model Mamiya with, because he found it better and no less precise... thus without having used these new ones I can make a guess that Shen-Hao knows how to make these :).

Best regards,
Anders
Erik Kaffehr

Myko

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:22:49 am »

Notably;

1. Expensive
2. It does not state to what tolerance Multistich is made.
3. The back on a Ebony or similar camera is not to precise 0.02mm tolerance which is normally required for digital, which begs for a different design... thus not rotating plate fitting to the back of camera!
4. Rotating the multistich will result in complication with sync cords getting tangled and dust on sensor.
5. You can compose using a drawn frame on 4x5 GG, but how to focus for the back?? Tethered?

Thus perhaps Multistich is not an ideal solution...

Shen-Hao already have a better solution for using dslr on viewcamera, and alot cheaper. I have not used that one, but they made me a sliding adapter for my MFDB ca. 2008/9 that the new owner replaced his latest model Mamiya with, because he found it better and no less precise... thus without having used these new ones I can make a guess that Shen-Hao knows how to make these Smiley.

Hello Anders, 

For information about MultiStitch you can visit us at   http://www.multistitch.com/  or read the hands-on review by Richard Sexton here on Luminous Landscape at:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/multi.shtml

As MultiStitch is my creation I thought I'd write to clarify a few points for you.

1.   MultiStitch is a cost effective tool for professional digital workflow. Considering that we professionals are constantly forced to replace expensive (and functioning) digital gear to give clients larger captures, extending the working life of our gear is preferable.  If I bought a 16MP DB in 2004 for $20K I’d be happy to keep using it for 5 more years for under $1500. Equipment ROI is huge for a pro shooter.  With MultiStitch that 16MP DB gives respectable 55MP captures. A product studio not able (or willing) to spend $25K on a DB can upgrade a DSLR’s capabilities. A Canon 5DII can deliver a 70MP file with a capture area larger than any DB on the market today while restoring the very real photographic advantages of large-format.

2.   MultiStitch is made on CNC multi-axis equipment to +/- .002 in, (two thousandths of an inch) the same as aircraft parts and using the same materials.

3.   Any wooden camera will flex, it is inherent to it’s nature and is not a shortfall of MultiStitch. Mentioning a wood camera, and  “.02mm tolerance which is normally required for digital” in the same thought is unrealistic, and begging for a different design to compensate for your camera’s unstable nature makes no sense to me.  Wood cameras have been used for generations with film and my experience shows that with reasonable care, they can continue to be used in the digital age with MultiStitch.  I wouldn’t support wood cameras otherwise. For any photographer using a DB on a 4X5, a metal camera with geared movements is useful, but good technique always helps.

4.   I suppose if for some odd reason you keep rotating your gear in one direction it might get tangled, but using MultiStitch (even tethered) is an easy process.  You simply learn to reverse your rotations for successive exposures, cancelling the “complication”. It’s easy!

5.   Focusing is done on the ground glass, not with a “drawn frame”. MultiStitch for medium format DBs comes with a spacer mask that inserts like a film holder and defines your live area for shooting. At the same time it moves your ground glass into the focal plane of your DB.  Again, for more information. see:  http://www.multistitch.com/how/multistitch-for-mf-digital-backs/   

Oddly, after calling MultiStitch “less than ideal” you pronounce another device better while admitting that you’ve never handled either one. MultiStitch provides precise, repeatable results in BOTH vertical AND horizontal aspects with even your widest lenses.  MultiStitch was designed to not interfere with camera movements like sliders do and is vented to protect your DSLR or DB from bellows pressure that forces in dust.  Sample images are at:   http://www.multistitch.com/multistitch-for-architecture/

Finally, don’t take my word for it.. Richard Sexton, a career professional photographer and long-time Feature Contributor to Luminous Landscape has recently posted the first of a multi-part review of MultiStitch. Both he and LL's publisher, Michael Reichman thought MultiStitch would be a worthwhile topic for LL subscribers.  The review (part one) can be found at:    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/multi.shtml

Best regards,

Myko
MultiStitch Photographic, Inc.
www.multistitch.com
info@multistitch.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »

Shen-Hao already have a better solution for using dslr on viewcamera, and alot cheaper.

Anders,

Care to explain how you can assert that one solution you haven't used is better than another solution you also haven't used?

It seems that the only rationale is your familiarity with other products from one of the 2 brands, is that reasonable ground for such a comment?

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up