Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virginia Rail  (Read 1757 times)

Glenn Bartley

• Glenn Bartley Nature Photography
Virginia Rail
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:31:56 am »

It was nice to get this skulker out in the open for a few frames... What do you think? Do you like this wider view?

Glenn

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/1000 sec
Aperture: 5.6
ISO: 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Virginia Rail
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:14:32 pm »

It's presumptuous of me to try to criticize one of your bird photos, but in this one I would be tempted to crop out about half of the out-of-focus greenery at the bottom, and then perhaps a bit off the left so the rectangle isn't too extreme.

But it is magnificent as usual.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »

I like it the way it is and would have likely framed it that way myself under the same conditions.  I am neutral on the foreground, but the positioning of the bird in the frame is just right.  The way I read it is the bird just took a step and the framing allows some looking and action room in front.

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59:35 pm »

Great image, as usual Glenn.
It is possible that Eric's suggestion may work nonetheless the current composition is excellent.

Regards

Tony Jay

Praki

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:50 am »

Hi Glenn:
I am a huge fan of your images. I find the grass stalks on the left and the three near the tail a little distracting and pull my attention away from the main subject. Maybe slightly darkening the background (or slightly lightening the main subject) would emphasize and project the bird a bit.
Thanks,
Praki.

james-greenland

• James Greenland Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:06:16 am »

It's presumptuous of me to try to criticize one of your bird photos, but in this one I would be tempted to crop out about half of the out-of-focus greenery at the bottom, and then perhaps a bit off the left so the rectangle isn't too extreme.

But it is magnificent as usual.

I agree: whilst its good to have some of the OOF foreground, there is too much for me: Its just dead-space, where as if there were more at the top (only slightly mind you) then there would be more textural interest :)

Seoonmie

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »

Hi Glen, although the issue of OOF foreground has been mentioned in all the previous posts, I'll go on about the same thing. I really like to see the surroundings in nature shots. I know a lot of people prefer clean, "school book" type of pictures, but for me the type of composition you chose really works well. I almost felt as if hiding in the reeds, that's just how close to the bird you take us. A great picture, in other words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up