Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall colors....in California?  (Read 4292 times)

sierraman

Fall colors....in California?
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »

Sure.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Fall colors....in California?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:36 am »

I used to vacation in the June Lake area and know this part of the country pretty well, and may well have gazed upon this same setting at the same time of the year at some point in time. While I think there is merit to the shot, I found the colors and dynamics of the contrast to be a bit on the flat side. I hope you do not mind an edit which bumps this range up considerably without being overbearing. well, at least I do not think so ;D I also did a pano crop as I did not think you needed so much sky if it was the fall colors you wanted to showcase.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:46 pm »

I thought the trees in the original were a little over-electric. Perhaps Sierraman didn't want to accentuate this. But Chris' version has enhanced overall clarity, and somehow the tree colours seem to work better.
Just my ramblings on a topic of perennial concern: presenting vivid natural colours in a believable way.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »

I have to agree somewhat with Isaac as to the blues and shift in luminosity as it is referenced by the sun's position. I am not sure one can get both in this exposure, but I did go in and desaturate the blues in the hills a bit, add a little more brightness to the midrange ground and fore-ground to try to retain some of the original image's color and still keep the brightness in the foliage.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

sierraman

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:48 pm »

Thanks to all for looking. In the original image I agree the that the trees did seem a little "electric" with their leaves so bright. I guess I could try to tone them down a little to not be so bright against the lighter sky. I like the sky being a little softer in color and light but maybe the trees in the foreground don't quite mesh in the image. I'll try to get this corrected.   :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:50:04 pm by sierraman »

rambler44

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »

Hi Sierraman, I wonder if you just tried to include too much in your photo.  Your main focus is foliage then mountains and sky.  So, ask yourself what is was you really wanted to show?  Was it important for us to know the location, therefore you included the mountains?  To include the mountains you had to show a bit of the sky, even though the sky is not that dramatic or interesting.  Now you have the issue of making it all blend together just the way you want it to look.  Is it worth the effort?  Would it be easier to focus more on that foliage.  If it the color that drew you to the scene, why not make the color the only subject?  Forget the mountains and the sky.  Get trees and leaves!

Compare this photo with the photo of the lone tree in your avitar.  One tree and a simplified, ie unclutered background.  In the avitar you have kept it simple.  I am just reminded of some of my own images of mountains and foliage when I have been tryiong to include it alll, the beauty of the 'big picture' when it later seems that it is better to focus in on just one main subject of beauty, ie. just the trees, no distant mountains no distant sky.

sierraman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 11:44:39 pm »

Thought I would try a vertical crop. Maybe I should just quit beating a dead horse.

rambler44

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:12 am »

Yup, I like this better, I think you have a more pleasing sky and fewer mountains, yet enough to give a sense of where you were.  I like the vertical lines of the trees, but I am not sure how they effect your image as they run in different angles.(note the line of trees, then the line of mountains) 

Here are some short video lessons that might help you as you play with the color:

http://www.robsheppardphoto.com/lessons/index.html

esp.  EZ Color, #4 and #5

FYI  I took a course from Rob Sheppard and am passing on to you some of the critiques he made of a foliage photo I took similar to yours, so I am no expert! My photo had fall colors in the foreground, evergreen in the middle back, and a mountain ridge with a uninteresting sky.  I did not need to try to include so much background.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:11:30 am »

I don't understand what you mean by that?

Bright.   ;)

sierraman

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:33:16 pm »

Just quit letting others beat you with their likes and dislikes -- it doesn't seem to me that the comments have been about anything more than personal likes and dislikes -- make the photos you like.
I think all of us like some feedback on our images good or bad. Thanks Isaac for saying what we should all be doing, that is just do it to our own personal liking.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up