Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning a Credo sensor. Same as for Aptus sensors?  (Read 3919 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
Cleaning a Credo sensor. Same as for Aptus sensors?
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »

In the absence of any user manual for Credo backs (maybe that's why they are about USD8,000 cheaper than Phase One equivalents), I need to check if the process for cleaning sensors has changed.

In the kit are tweezers and wipes but no liquid. I presume the process is still use a blower to get rid of loose dust and then the wipes with isopropyl alcohol?

Anyone know anything different?
Roger

Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

FredBGG

Re: Cleaning a Credo sensor. Same as for Aptus sensors?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »

In the absence of any user manual for Credo backs (maybe that's why they are about USD8,000 cheaper than Phase One equivalents), I need to check if the process for cleaning sensors has changed.

In the kit are tweezers and wipes but no liquid. I presume the process is still use a blower to get rid of loose dust and then the wipes with isopropyl alcohol?

Roger

Don't use an aerosol blower. If fluid comes out it can damage coatings possibly the sensor.
I would also be carefull of isopropyl alcohol as it is often not very pure and can leave a sheen.

Phase One makes a sensor cleaning kit that has two liquids. One to clean and one to finish.
Do not put solutions directly on the sensor (same as with lenses). Wet the sensor wipes and then clean the sensor.
This avoids excess fluid possibly getting under something.

Here is a video showing what you need to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyBD7PDhdQs

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »

Roger

Hi Roger,

Same procedure as with your Aptus;

Rocket blower for dust spots
Isopropyl Alcohol (at least 95%) to remove the greasy stuff and you can use moist breath for finish.
Just make sure you use the Microweb wipes, you can order them through your Mamiya Leaf dealer and never use the same side twice!

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

Hi Yaya, i just watched the video on how to clean a sensor and have a few more questions...

1. Does handling the cleaning micro fibre tissues with bare hands risk contaminating the tissue before it is used?

2. In the video show the top of the cleaning solution appears to touch the tissue, being soaked with part 1 of the cleaning solution - cross contamination again and for future cleaning if you did manage to transfer tiny pieces of grit to the lid?

3. There is no sound when I view the video, but I assume you use a new cleaning tissue for part 2 of the cleaning solution, but it shows the same tissue being wiped over the sensor 3 times? - contamination a third time and you possibly risk scratching the sensor?

Thank you
Michael

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »

Hi Yaya, i just watched the video on how to clean a sensor and have a few more questions...

1. Does handling the cleaning micro fibre tissues with bare hands risk contaminating the tissue before it is used?

2. In the video show the top of the cleaning solution appears to touch the tissue, being soaked with part 1 of the cleaning solution - cross contamination again and for future cleaning if you did manage to transfer tiny pieces of grit to the lid?

3. There is no sound when I view the video, but I assume you use a new cleaning tissue for part 2 of the cleaning solution, but it shows the same tissue being wiped over the sensor 3 times? - contamination a third time and you possibly risk scratching the sensor?

Thank you
Michael

I did not make this video and I've been following the attached procedure (taken from the Aptus Installation Guide) for the last 12 years with good results

Note that you're not cleaning the sensor...this is only done in the factory in a clean environment. You're cleaning the IR filter which also serves as a protective glass

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 05:39:21 pm »

Likewise I've been cleaning backs at the rate of several per week for five years (between personal shoots, professional demos, and rental preparations) and never scratched one. 

The filter in front of the sensor is an expensive piece of glass to replace, but it's still just a piece of glass. If you're paying attention and use the indicated cleaning materials you can't screw it up.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:15:05 am »

@ MNG

The Phase one kit really does a nice job.

The little plastic scraper is less likely to slip that tweezers or that scary looking surgical tool.

It is also quite soft and flexes avoiding too much pressure.

The dual solution is good too. the first does the cleaning and the second removes any residue of the first solution.

Same technique I've seen used by 1st Camera assistants on $100,000 digital motion picture camera's sensors.

It's only $ 30 for the kit and should keep you going for a couple of years.

Capture integration sells it on their estore:

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

If you do use 95%  Isopropyl test it on a piece of glass first. As I said earlier the other 5% can be a problem.

I use this stuff for cleaning my scanners. 99.5% Pure. However I'm not sure if this is too high of a concentration for sensor glass...

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:06:33 am »

I did not make this video and I've been following the attached procedure (taken from the Aptus Installation Guide) for the last 12 years with good results

Note that you're not cleaning the sensor...this is only done in the factory in a clean environment. You're cleaning the IR filter which also serves as a protective glass

Yair

Any respectable sensor cleaning kit should work fine. Right?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:44:47 am »

Really no need for the "soapy" solution in the Phase kit unless the sensor is very dirty.  Blower bulb and light cleaning with just the alcohol solution in the Phase kit is generally enough. The Leaf pads are said to be better to use (and substitute) for the ones in the Phase kit.  Available at Capture Integration, too.  (Yes, I would think any gentle sensor cleaning kit would work).

ken

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:59:23 pm »

Any respectable sensor cleaning kit should work fine. Right?

Respectable is a bit vague IMO Anders. I can recollect no horror stories from 3rd party cleaning solutions (which doesn't mean they don't exist), but for the price, I cannot understand why fate should be tempted. You know for sure, 100% that the kits designed for the digital backs and the IR Filters are absolutely the correct solution, so why search for workarounds?

Really no need for the "soapy" solution in the Phase kit unless the sensor is very dirty.  Blower bulb and light cleaning with just the alcohol solution in the Phase kit is generally enough. The Leaf pads are said to be better to use (and substitute) for the ones in the Phase kit.  Available at Capture Integration, too.  (Yes, I would think any gentle sensor cleaning kit would work).

ken

Once I was testing an IQ180 over a weekend and Monday morning I checked the kit back into our inventory and while doing so saw a horrid 1/4" gash in the lower left corner. I couldn't imagine how I did that. Just to be sure, I gave it a cleaning and sure enough the gash remained. Just to really be sure, I also tried the blue soap and the gash magically disappeared (along with my $1,200 employee purchase of a P1 IR Filter). You don't normally need it, but when you do, it is really effective.

I second (as I always have) the Leaf MicroFiber wipes. They are superior. I frequently add them to Phase One orders, just as I frequently add the Phase One Cleaning Kit to Leaf orders (because the Leaf kits come with just the wipes, no solution).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:31:21 am »

Respectable is a bit vague IMO Anders. I can recollect no horror stories from 3rd party cleaning solutions (which doesn't mean they don't exist), but for the price, I cannot understand why fate should be tempted. You know for sure, 100% that the kits designed for the digital backs and the IR Filters are absolutely the correct solution, so why search for workarounds?

What we clean is a the IR filter glass. That is no different than is on other camera sensors, is it?

Sensor swabs with sensor cleaning solution is simpler to get hold of, including on my travels. Any known issue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up