Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross and prayer beads  (Read 9080 times)

Randy Carone

Re: Cross and prayer beads
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 03:49:24 pm »

My wife calls my hand-held camera case (for my D90) my man-purse. It can be a nuisance but I carry it at all times. I even put a carabiner on the handle of the case so I can clip it on my belt loop to shoot. That way I don't have to ask my wife, "Can you hold this for a sec?" :)
Randy Carone

IanBrowne

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

I need to do better than just point n shoot :D

Gear alone will not make you a better photographer, however (don't believe I'm about to type this) to make that BIG photo for the big office you may well need to consider better quality gear. I myself have no intentions of making BIG photos even for myself so I'm down sizing from Canon 5D11 to a canon G12 and a just purchased Panasonic FZ 200. Will I be happy with the FZ200 "photo quality"? Well that is yet to be seen but I love my G12!

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:04 am »

Gear alone will not make you a better photographer, however (don't believe I'm about to type this) to make that BIG photo for the big office you may well need to consider better quality gear. I myself have no intentions of making BIG photos even for myself so I'm down sizing from Canon 5D11 to a canon G12 and a just purchased Panasonic FZ 200. Will I be happy with the FZ200 "photo quality"? Well that is yet to be seen but I love my G12!

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought he meant 'point and shoot' as a technique rather than the sort of camera he is using.  Even most top DSLR's can be used "Point n Shoot".
For those fortunately blessed with good visual awareness, point and shoot can be a rather good method.

Jim

-Tom-

• 1:1-8 / 19-84
    • Tomislav Mavrovic
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:00 am »

Jim's right, by point and shoot I was referring to the way I shoot...I dont carry all my gear with me, it drives me mad because I don't have a proper backpack (yet) so hauling all the tripods, cell phone, wallet, keys, lens, camera in one little Lumix bag and pockets ruins my day before the day even starts.

So 95% of the time I just take the camera and walk around, look for something interesting, see it, focus, shoot and then move on. Sometimes I do take the tripod and stay in one location for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, depends, but most of the time I just walk around and shoot :)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 11:17:30 am »

So 95% of the time I just take the camera and walk around, look for something interesting, see it, focus, shoot and then move on. Sometimes I do take the tripod and stay in one location for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, depends, but most of the time I just walk around and shoot :)

Unless you're doing landscape that's the way to do it. The idea, drummed into beginners heads by photo magazines and photo "workshops," that you  need to plan a photograph leads to some of the worst photography in the world.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »

Unless you're doing landscape that's the way to do it. The idea, drummed into beginners heads by photo magazines and photo "workshops," that you  need to plan a photograph leads to some of the worst photography in the world.

Yes, I agree. Planning may consist of being in interesting places at interesting times with your kit. Beyond that, over-engineering a shoot is frequently a formula for disaster.  There are some exceptions to this rule, http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2009/07/09/so-this-is-like-347-speed-lights/ .

Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up