Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900: "Resetting - Please Wait"  (Read 13494 times)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Epson 7900: "Resetting - Please Wait"
« on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »

I just got home from a 3-week trip, turned on my 7900, and did a perfect nozzle check. Then I swapped PK to MK and did another nozzle check. This time the printer wanted to perform a cleaning as it always does even though ANC is turned off. It couldn't do this because LK was too low. It was lunchtime so I just aborted this cleaning by saying "No" to the question asking whether I wanted to continue with new ink. Later on I turned on the printer and did a nozzle check in which MK was completely absent. So with fresh LK installed I did a manual pair (MK/LK) cleaning which again resulted in a perfect nozzle check. Now, finally, I started my print which was on a sheet of custom paper size. The print went along fine about 1/3 of the way when suddenly printing stopped and a message appeared on the printer's LCD saying "Resetting, please wait". The printer went through motions similar to cleaning and then ejected my partially done print. This happened twice, but the third print worked fine.

Typically when I swap black inks the printer goes through an auto cleaning cycle when I first try to print anything after the swap, even a nozzle check. I wonder if this "resetting" message was the result of aborting that cleaning. I've gone through this ink swapping routine countless times but have never before seen this "resetting"" message, and never experienced a ruined print as a result. Coincidentally this is the only time I ever didn't let the automatic cleaning complete after swapping the inks. Does anyone know what's going on here?  ???
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:05:31 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

davidh202

Re: Epson 7900: "Resetting - Please Wait"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »

Yes Dean I've had it happen to me. It reset and spit out the job mid way because you interuppted its normal (abnormal) pattern ::).
Not to worry it's just the machine saying don't screw with me, let me do what I want to, and we will get along just fine ;)
 David
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:47:58 pm by davidh202 »

DeanChriss

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:30:39 am »

Thanks for confirming this. I'll try not to intrude on the printer's routine next time. Funny how it waits until the middle of a print to remember what it wanted to do. I guess it's doling out punishment for the interruption.
- Dean

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

Maybe it's not "waiting" till the middle of the print, but instead has detected an issue that it determines needs to be resolved or print quality will be affected. The printer is constantly monitoring many things as it prints. 

I think it is abnormal, so if it continues to happen it may be worth some effort to resolve it.  I don't believe I've ever seen it happen.

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:40 pm »

The delayed reaction of stopping the job might be related to how the job is spooled on the OS through the driver?

David

DeanChriss

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:40 am »

Maybe it's not "waiting" till the middle of the print, but instead has detected an issue that it determines needs to be resolved or print quality will be affected. The printer is constantly monitoring many things as it prints.  

I think it is abnormal, so if it continues to happen it may be worth some effort to resolve it.  I don't believe I've ever seen it happen.

Thanks, Wayne. This hasn't happened again (yet) and the printer seems to be working perfectly. The only odd thing is that after swapping MK/PK it does a cleaning, and it does this when you make the first print after the swap, not when the swap happens. It has done this since day one, 4 years ago. Depending on the direction of the swap (I think it's MK to PK) there are two of these cleanings, one before the first print after the swap and one before the second. This seems really odd but it has always done it even though ANC is turned off. It's never been an issue since except for its idiosyncratic behaviors I've been very happy with the printer's output. This time I didn't let it do the cleaning when it wanted to, and I assumed it would do it's usual thing when i resumed printing after lunch, but I got the previously described half-baked prints instead. I'll update this thread if it happens again.

The delayed reaction of stopping the job might be related to how the job is spooled on the OS through the driver?
David

Good thought, but that's not the issue since I turned off both the printer and computer when I went to lunch. But, when it spit out the partly done print and I inserted another sheet of paper it did start to re-do the job from the start again instead of picking up where it left off.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:33:18 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:10 am »

One way to avoid the cleaning when doing a PK-MK switch is to bring up the printer in service mode.  You can switch back and forth and there will be no cleaning performed.  You can also print in service mode with no problems.  You can't run a nozzle check from the Printer's LCD, but instead have to run it from the Computer.  You also can't set the paper type and platen gap, but both of those can be controlled from the computer/printer driver also. 

When I am going to need both MK and PK for a certain job on the 9900, I just bring up the machine in service mode for the day.  When I know my needs for MK are done, I power off and then come up in normal mode. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »

The only odd thing is that after swapping MK/PK it does a cleaning, and it does this when you make the first print after the swap, not when the swap happens. It has done this since day one, 4 years ago. Depending on the direction of the swap (I think it's MK to PK) there are two of these cleanings, one before the first print after the swap and one before the second. This seems really odd but it has always done it even though ANC is turned off.

Yes quite annoying.  I assume the auto clean was left in the firmware for this function because Epson feels the likelihood of the more ink needing purged or some air in the lines is so strong that they kept it. Doesn't make sense to me, if I turn auto nozzle check off, it should be off all the time, because that's what it says it's going to do and because I've indicated I want to control the process of checking and cleaning nozzles.

As was mentioned, if you start the printer in service mode, you can do the swap and avoid a cleaning.  You can also print from your computer and send nozzle checks from the computer.  I don't believe you can initiate a nozzle test print from the panel when in service mode, and in service mode I don't believe the printer will go into idle, but I do use service mode when I switch and just leave it there for the day, starting it up as normal the next day.(something I only do once or twice a year anymore. In the past few years with the new PK art papers being so good I just don't find I like matt paper much any more).

DeanChriss

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:07 pm »

This problem just recurred over the weekend. I've made a number of successful prints since this last occurred about a month ago. This time there was no black ink swap or interrupted cleaning. I was on my third print in a session when out of the blue I got the "resetting, please wait" message on the printer's LCD. When this happens it spits out the print partly finished (not always in the same place) print. If you put another piece of paper in the printer it does not restart the job but wants to begin where it left off on the previous sheet, so you first need to cancel the job. Like the first time it did this twice, ruining two sheets. After that I powered off the printer and computer, turned everything back on, and all was apparently well again. I doubt the powering off did anything because the first time I did not do that and the third try produced a print with no problems. The nozzle check is perfect and on close inspection there are no visible problems with the prints. Even the partly done prints look fine up to the point where the printing stopped. Since the printer is again working fine and the message contains no clues about what may be wrong, I'm at a loss.
- Dean

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »

A wild guess
It's possible a  power glitch that isn't even noticable to you might cause this.
We have fairly frequent electrical glitches here, and some equipment will reset itself ( computers reboot), sometimes they will cycle off completely and have to manually be turned back on. I think it depends on  just how long the outage is in fractions of a second.If the power was interrupted it might cause a reset in mid stream and when the job spooling in memory takes back over, it goes back to where it left off.The relationship to changing inks may be purely coincidental since it didn't happen this time.
I would also double check all your electical connections (plugs), and make sure they are secure.

David
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:00:06 pm by davidh202 »

DeanChriss

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »

A wild guess
It's possible a  power glitch that isn't even noticable to you might cause this.
We have fairly frequent electrical glitches here, and some equipment will reset itself ( computers reboot), sometimes they will cycle off completely and have to manually be turned back on. I think it depends on  just how long the outage is in fractions of a second.If the power was interrupted it might cause a reset in mid stream and when the job spooling in memory takes back over, it goes back to where it left off.The relationship to changing inks may be purely coincidental since it didn't happen this time.
I would also double check all your electical connections (plugs), and make sure they are secure.

David

Thanks, David. I will check the connections, which is one thing I haven't done. The printer is plugged into a 1500VA pure sine wave UPS so I'm sure power is clean, but if the plug somehow got yanked partially out it could be a source of problems. I'll edit this later this evening after I check since I'm about 20 miles from the printer right now.
- Dean

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »

I would second David's opinion that the problem is somewhere in the communication from the computer to printer ... the error is the same as if you hit the cancel button on the printer. For some reason the printer thinks the job has been canceled.  When you cancel it on the printer, the job will stop printing, the paper is ejected, the message "Reseting Please wait" is displayed.  However, the printer doesn't communicate the canceled job to the host computer, so when the printer comes back on the line the computer will resend the job.

DeanChriss

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:49 am »

Thanks, David. I will check the connections, which is one thing I haven't done. The printer is plugged into a 1500VA pure sine wave UPS so I'm sure power is clean, but if the plug somehow got yanked partially out it could be a source of problems. I'll edit this later this evening after I check since I'm about 20 miles from the printer right now.
I would second David's opinion that the problem is somewhere in the communication from the computer to printer ... the error is the same as if you hit the cancel button on the printer. For some reason the printer thinks the job has been canceled.  When you cancel it on the printer, the job will stop printing, the paper is ejected, the message "Reseting Please wait" is displayed.  However, the printer doesn't communicate the canceled job to the host computer, so when the printer comes back on the line the computer will resend the job.
I didn't find any connections that look suspect, but I just re-seated every connection that goes to the printer on both ends of the cable. That goes for both electrical and communication cables. I had made prints successfully both before and after doing this, so only time will tell. An unexpected benefit of checking all of this was that I found the AC connection to my film scanner had nearly been pulled from the socket. Thanks for the suggestions!
- Dean

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:46 am »

...and the last one to check---or rather replace, is the cable going from from your computer to the printer.

davidh202

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 10:46:12 pm »

something else came to mind Dean,

which cable interface are you using, USB or Ethernet?
Beside what ken said about replacing cable, if your on USB and using a cable longer than 6' (Epson says not to),  it could pose very intermittant losses of communication with spooling the job from the computer to the printer possibly triggering a reset.
You could also be on a bad port on either one, or if the cable is not shielded well it could suffer from interference, again causing an itermittant loss, but I think in either case you would suffer from print degredation rather than reseting.
 I am not really sure exactly how that reset component works, just ideas  

David
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:51:43 pm by davidh202 »

DeanChriss

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 07:20:24 am »

something else came to mind Dean,

which cable interface are you using, USB or Ethernet?
Beside what ken said about replacing cable, if your on USB and using a cable longer than 6' (Epson says not to),  it could pose very intermittant losses of communication with spooling the job from the computer to the printer possibly triggering a reset.
You could also be on a bad port on either one, or if the cable is not shielded well it could suffer from interference, again causing an itermittant loss, but I think in either case you would suffer from print degredation rather than reseting.
 I am not really sure exactly how that reset component works, just ideas  

David

I'm using USB, but the printer manual says you can use a "standard, shielded cable 10 feet (6 m) long or less". I'm using an 8 foot shielded cable that I bought almost 4 years ago when the printer was new. Everything ran fine until just a month ago when the first "resetting" incident happened. Except for re-seating the connections this week, the last time the cable was unplugged was over a year ago when I changed computer systems. Due to proximity and how everything is set up, I have no need to move the printer so the cable is never even flexed. I guess I'd be more inclined to suspect a bad port. At the moment I'm just waiting to see if it happens again after what I've done. The problem has only happened twice with a month in between so it's pretty hard to know when or if you've fixed it. If it's a USB port failing I'd expect it to degrade and fail more frequently as time passes.

[Edit] It occurred to me that the Epson printer manual's statement is messed up since 10 feet more like 3 meters, not 6.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:51:34 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

davidh202

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:39 am »

These types of intermittent problems are so hard to track down and are annoying but
I wouldn't worry so much if is happens so infrequently, it's just not worth it !

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up